Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 6

Granok Lore Compilation

58 replies
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
Kudos for digging into the Granok timeline!

Sadly we are one of the main races with HUGE chunks of lore missing. I am hoping we could get more information soon to fill in the timeline gaps. Granoks can indeed live to be over 500. I simply put over 200 years old until we have the average life span from an official, though I suppose I could go ahead and jump it up to 500+.

My character Arimar is one of the old ones as well. He left Gnox after being banished along with some of the other Granok for using the technology of the Dominion.

And I really wish I could help you more. But I would hate to throw information at you that is pure speculation, and would rather wait for the facts from the devs.
105fbcca-1acf-46f4-93e6-67bfbfa56488_zpse0f84b33.png
Posted Feb 13, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 13, 14
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+12
That stuff about the "Way of the Stone" throws a spanner in the works for my character plan.

I had an idea for making a Granok character who's more than partially insane. A monster hunter and mercenary by trade, he spends his time hunting the biggest and most gruesome of beasts, all while chanting his battle cry and laughing heartily! He's the first into battle and the last out, refusing to let others charge before he does. This can sometimes be to his detriment, since he doesn't show a lot of strategic thought when charging into a beast with claws bigger than he is. Outside of battle he might show some cunning or intellect, but when there's a beast in front of him, all previous cunning is lost in a haze of blood lust... or goo lust... whatever he happens to be killing at the time.

A peculiar trait of his would be his really soft spot for cute things like those little vegetable creatures or Aurin. He's a strict vegetarian... unless it's one of the beasts he just killed. In that case it's barbecue time! He can also be civilized when it suits him. He has a knack for building things, be it weapons or armor, though he does prefer the 'up close and personal' variety of weapon, even going so far as to use his own hardened fists to beat the daylights out of somebody if his sword isn't to hand. Those fancy guns and esper abilities are too advanced for his liking. Where's the fun in killing something if you can't do it up close?

Like a lot of Granok, he enjoys beer, preferring to drink after a battle and tell stories of his previous conquests, all while the decaying head of the beast he just tore to pieces lays in the corner of the room kicking up a stink.

I'm debating whether to run a guild with him, but wonder if that kind of character would be any good at leading anything, let alone a group of monster hunters and mercenaries, unless he delegates all the business and boring stuff to somebody else. Events would mostly be done in a dungeon master style, with the focus being on boss fights with occasional mercenary work involving other guilds if they'd have them.

Either way, I don't know how the current lore of the Granok species would work with this character, and whether what I have so far would get in the way of that.
Posted Feb 13, 14
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
Way of the Stone was something that the Granok followed back on Gnox. That being said, those that were banished from Gnox 'mostly' turned away from that, since they betrayed one of the main teachings of the Way.

From what you have said I see no reason why it couldn't work. The lore is pretty open after their departure from Gnox to do just about anything you would like.
Posted Feb 13, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 13, 14
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
Bit of information for us. Ended up asking Chad Moore over Twitter and he was nice enough to respond.
wrote:
@Pappylicious

When did the Granok join the Exiles exactly? And how did that come to pass?

Chad Moore ‏@Pappylicious

@Arimar9 When the Exile Accords were signed in 1658. But the Exile Humans had done business with the Granok for decades before that.
Posted Feb 13, 14 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Nitt Benefactor
Stars:
+17
Thanks for that Arimar.

Interesting to note that the relationship between the Granok and humans is decades, not centuries. Also that a formal Accord was signed. Helped with two of my queries :thumb:

Perhaps you can hassle them now for a bit of info on how the Way of Stone has affected the Granok exiles since leaving Gnox ;-)

I've been thinking about this along the lines of the New Testament v's the Old Testament, or more precisely, Fundamentals (chieftans) v's Moderates (exiles) while remembering that the Way of Stone is not a religion as such, but a way of life.

Durek and co. were exiled by the chieftans because they believed that Durek had broken the fundamentals of the Way of Stone, and perhaps they did by taking up modern technology in the battlefield. But just picking up weapons and then pointing and shooting them would not have given them the expertise to actually maintain them properly, unless there was a group in hiding actually studying this technology (unlikely given they had not been exposed to this technology previously). The Gnox war wouldn't have lasted long enough (several months only) for the Granok to master the technology and you would also have to wonder about their skills in piloting spacecraft. It is likely their skills in engineering would have been honed during their time around the Fringe, possibly through trial and error or liaising with other sentient life. Given it has been confirmed that the Granok had nothing to do with the human exiles for several centuries it is unlikely the human exiles contributed anything to Granok technology until very late. If we assume the Granoks got in contact with the Exiles around 1600 AE, that will have given the Granok some 380 years to refine their knowledge in technology. So the growth in technical expertise among the Granok would not have been something that happened overnight. It would also provide for some Granok-specific technology.

The Way of Stone is something that would have been ingrained on the Granok, given they lived under this code for tens of thousands of years, so just abandoning it would be unlikely. It seems the Way of Stone defines the morals of the Granok and it seems evident that these morals still exist in the Granok today. Just look at the profiles of the Granok here. They tend to share common traits - a love of gardening, empathy towards the Aurin (likely due to the fact the Granok saw the destruction of Arboria firsthand), compassion, respect (even Arimar respects his customers...), a simple way of living, etc., so I reckon these are traits that the Way of Stone reflects in the modern Granok. Sure, the fundamentalist chieftans expect them to adhere to every bit of Granok lore in the way it has been done for centuries or be outcast, whereas the Moderate Granok exiles are more flexible in what they study, plus the fact that being in space would necessitate a lot of this learrning, but they have not compromised on their basic morals.

Anyway, enough ramblings. This is only supposition, so any more details on the Granoks would be greatly appreciated. :d
Posted Feb 13, 14 · Last edited Feb 13, 14
Star
List
Undo
Nitt Benefactor
Stars:
+17
To: Greenboat

CC: WSRP

Subject: What are you thinking...?

Hi Greenboat,

Get a grip. Why are you cowering in the corner so undecided? You're a merc, a fighter. What are you...a mountain or a pebble...?

We got booted from our home planet by a bunch of ancients who refuse to accept change. WAKE UP. The galaxy ain't some holiday resort. There are all sorts of nasties out there ready to grind you to a pile of sand at the first chance they get. Is that what you want?

So you like to kill stuff. GOOD. Nexus ain't the beach where you can dip your toes in the water while sipping lattes under an umbrella. IT' S DANGEROUS. That means that others are gonna want your help surviving in this place. That means a steady income. If you want a decent weapon, go chat with Arimar. Murdok will provide you with reliable transport. You know Murdok don't you? Probably the most reliable engineer this side of Gnox (just don't ask him about his racing days...).

Scared of not being able to adhere to the Way of Stone? C'mon...you know what following the Way of Stone really involves these days. It's not like you're compromising your morals, is it?

Worried about leading? Meh...people judge others by their actions, not their words. Leave all that day to day stuff to your Aurin offsider. They're better equipped to deal with that sort of stuff anyway. Get a good Medic to watch ya back and go kill that Dominion scum.

Oh...just don't leave that head too long in the corner. There are smells, then there are 'smells'. At least have the decency to get it stuffed and hung on your wall.

Hope you have a nice day.

Yours Sincerely,

Aggreh (Aggi) Vhaytidd

p.s. Did I tell you I'm a Medic...?
Posted Feb 14, 14 · Last edited Feb 14, 14
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+97
It is nice that some things are open to more freely explore how the Granok go about things philosophy wise. Bron Bladehenge is an old stone like Arimar, seen and dealt with many things firsthand on Gnox and the following years in the Free Companies. However, they've taken drastically different paths down the line. Arimar has accepted the power of money and weapons with open arms, with a morality that some would find dubious at best. Bron begrudgingly accepts that he can't have the old traditional Way of Stone, but it as much a part of him that he will live by the Granok warrior's code till they day he dies.
Posted Feb 14, 14
Star
List
Undo
"Sarge, we got a butt-load of Female Granok Names from NPCs in the beta incoming. Well I say a butt-load but actually use rockin' gals are a bit thin on the ground."

Some of these Granok have job-titles (Builder, Provisioner, etc.) but none have surnames.
Name
Kara
Raska
Praxa
Praxa
Gagaru
Gemma
Dexaku
Koga
Kroma
Korara
Roxi
Arkoz
Jadax
Moxmay
Trakaxo
Mogra
Ferrita
Grumshot
Grekka
Frega
Zone
Arkship
Celestian
Celestian
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Thyad
Algoroc
Galeras
Galeras
Algoroc
Algoroc
Galeras
Galeras
Galeras
Whitevale
Posted Mar 12, 14 · Last edited Mar 12, 14
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+50
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but has the Way of Stone been outlined in any more detail, in books or the like? I know the ban on new tech and all but is that all of it, or is there a philosophical aspect? I'm basically not sure if it's more like kosher where it says 'don't do these things' or more like Bushido where it's a way to live your life.
Posted Mar 30, 14
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+16
I haven't been able to dig anything up that expands upon what the Way of Stone is either, but hopefully someone that's been involved with lore scouring can help better than I!

Hopefully something in game will give us some clarity on it because I'd really like to incorporate some elements of spiritual belief into my Granok lady. I wonder if there'd be room for Stonebreaker Granok among the Exiles to create an updated version of the Way of Stone that fits their current lifestyle better. That'd be pretty cool.
Hollis Griswald || Edith Crawcrussle
Data file incomplete. Loading...
Posted Mar 30, 14
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices