WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 6

Granok Lore Compilation

58 replies
Stars:
+203
So. I googled Silicon Lifeforms. Apparently it is a reoccuring trope in sci-fi, built on the concept that aliens would not be made up mainly of Carbon, but rather Silicon. I would not be surprised if Chad Moore is a sci fi nerd and got the idea from there.
Or that he went with a hyper advanced version of the theory that the first life on earth did not come from water but actually mud.
Now, I personally believe they just have developed a rocky skin and is flesh beneath, considering the very pink tongue in Sarge's mouth as he burps, but I wouldn't rule out the possability that the writers have gone with some kind of psuedo-sciense. They did shove in nanites in there, after all.

Hypothetical Wiki article about Silicon life.

Graham Cairns-Smith supposedly put forth some theories that have been used. He talked about silicons.

Or they have no idea what they are talking about.
Berlech Mikhail Ojiznivic - Mordesh

Posted Dec 1, 13 · Last edited Dec 1, 13
Stars:
+62
You can add these to the gallery:
Spoiler: Show
Posted Dec 1, 13
Star
List
Undo
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Sorry for caps, but I have been looking for more Granok faces.
Posted Dec 1, 13
Stars:
+62
Np ^^
Posted Dec 1, 13
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
Added most of them to the gallery. Thanks Victoria & Vance.
105fbcca-1acf-46f4-93e6-67bfbfa56488_zpse0f84b33.png
Posted Dec 1, 13 · OP
I am confused, when did the Granok join the Exiles? All I know is that it was at least 7 years ago because they helped the human evacuate the Aurin...
Posted Jan 28, 14
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
It is unsure. I've only put up information that was released, but here is hoping they give us more lore or release a bit of the NDA for the beta.
Posted Jan 28, 14 · OP
In chat we talked and came to the (still unconfirmed) "conclusion" that:

-The Exiled Humans may have interacted with the Granok mercs before the Granok formally joined The Exiles. It's possible they were trading with / assisting the humans now and then, for money, until the events on Arboria where they decided they needed to formally join The Exiles. Also noted that the Mordesh were the first race to join the Exiled Humans, and they were likely there with the Granok and Humans saving Aurin from the Planet Reapers. (We found out about the Mordesh AFTER the Aurin lore page was written, where it only said that Humans and Granok helped in the evacuation, but we know that by then the Mordesh were a part of the Exiles.)

-Also note that the Humans had their civil war AFTER the Granok's planet was invaded... So it's possible some rebel humans might have been able to establish more or less friendly connections with the Granok as early as 1378, having a common enemy... But they still weren't officially "Exiles" until "around" 1656 (as the timeline says).

Feel free to poke holes, it's almost all assumption.
Posted Jan 29, 14 · Last edited Jan 29, 14
Star
List
Undo
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
All of those seem like legit conclusions. Here's hoping we can get some confirmation soon enough. That being said the bit about the Granok helping the evacuation of Arboria was something I apparently forgot to add to the list. So thank you very much for that addition.
Posted Jan 29, 14 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Nitt Benefactor
Stars:
+17
Been trying to get my head around some of the Granok lore while developing my character.
Forest Guardian wrote:
Also note that the Humans had their civil war AFTER the Granok's planet was invaded... So it's possible some rebel humans might have been able to establish more or less friendly connections with the Granok as early as 1378, having a common enemy... But they still weren't officially "Exiles" until "around" 1656 (as the timeline says).

Been thinking about this. The Gnox war occurred in 1221 AE. The Cassian civil war began in 1378 AE - 180 years after the Gnox conflict. The rebels from this war fled Cassus led by Serrick Brighthand. These were humans brought up in the Cassian way of life rebelling against unpopular political decisions.

Durek's Granoks were exiled by their chieftans after the Gnox war and left in captured Cassian spacecraft to become mercenaries for hire in the galaxy, most likely working around the Fringe. It was during this time the Free Companies was formed, becoming FCON once Nexus was settled. This would also indicate that there is sentient life out around the Fringe, otherwise no-one would hire them.

It would seem the Granok did not involve themselves with humans - or at least the exiled Cassian humans - for at least 180 years (the time between the Gnox war and Cassian uprising), likely much longer, unless they were directly involved in the Cassian uprising (did the rebel Cassians hire Granok mercenaries?). If there was no involvement, and given their belief in the Way of Stone, and the fact they despised the Dominion, I would think it unlikely that a union was formed soon after the human exile, since the sound of a Cassian accent would mean a Granok would shoot first, ask questions later. I would think also that once diplomatic discussions started, the Granok would still be wary of their new-found allies for some time, especially when they measure time in centuries, not decades. It is likely they first came in contact with the exiled humans sometime during The Gambler's Ruin's run through the Fringe, possibly quite late, while looking for a new homeland.

Given there is little information about Human/Granok contact for the next 250 years after the Cassian uprising (some 3 generations of humans later), it would seem the rescue of the Mordesh in the 1630's AE might have been their first operation together , or at least one where the Granok were hired to assist, although there is no mention of Granok assistance that I could find during this smuggling process. They worked together to rescue the Aurin from Arboran some 30 years later, which seems to be the first mention of the Granok working with humans in a coordinated fashion. This could potentially mean there was little (or no) contact between the Granok and humans for some 200+ years after the Cassus uprising.
Forest Guardian wrote:
...until the events on Arboria where they decided they needed to formally join The Exiles.
Is there any mention of the Granok formally joining the human exiles? I can understand them wanting to align themselves with the exiled humans since, as mercenaries on a new planet (and as exiles themselves), there would be a good chance of earning a reasonable pay packet (and they would have no desire to align with The Dominion), but is there any mention of a formal alliance anywhere or is it just assumed? I understood 'The Exiles' to be a common term for those races displaced by The Dominion who, while sharing a common goal to remove The Dominion from Nexus, are not formally held together by any binding agreement.

Arimar wrote:
They do seem to live for a long time, though we can’t say exactly how long. But many are over 200 years old.
I have been wondering about how long a Granok can live for. I was thinking of a lifespan around 350 years, but found this comment from Dangeraaron10 elsewhere:
Dangeraaron10 wrote:
(which means nothing to a Granok which can live well over 500 years old)
This seems a reasonable figure given Durek assisted in the evacuation of the Aurin in 1658 AE, some 450 years after the Gnox war. Will have to go back and tweak my characters timeline.

Sorry if this has all been mentioned somewhere else, and also if I have missed the answers to some of my questions. I have just been trying to get timelines worked out while developing my character.
Posted Feb 13, 14
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices