WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 6

Granok Lore Compilation

58 replies
I am heavily leaning towards a Granok main, but I am a bit confused about The Way of the Stone and how silicon based life forms work. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on these issues or if we simply do not know yet.

Do the Granok we play follow The Way of the Stone? There is contradictory information about it, or at least it seems so to me. While the EU arcship event gave us the line: “They, as we know, follow The Way of the Stone.” The main lore piece we have about the Granok looks like they used to follow it on Gnox, but then the actions of Durek and those that followed him were directly against this belief. If the use of new technology is enough to go against the “unchanging” philosophy of The Way of the Stone it would suggest that their future actions as mercenaries, especially with exploring a brand new planet and discovering all new information about the universe, does not fit either. I just can’t see how The Way of the Stone fits into a modern Granok lifestyle.

Secondly the idea of the being fully rock or just having a rock skin. Do we have any actual confirmation either way? I know they have said they are silicone based life forms with full life cycles, but that does not necessarily mean they are armadillos (crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle). I can see that meaning they can live and die, reproduce, drink beer etc. but does a silicon based life form need squishy bits in order for that to happen? The main race page descrives them as "thulking giants of living stone" which does give a more solid feel to the. I have looked at Sarg burping which is where I believe this theory of a ‘flesh tongue’ coms from and while his tongue is pink so is pink quartzite, so I am not sure that alone in conclusive.
Posted Aug 28, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+47
I'm pretty sure that it has been confirmed that they are squishy on the inside but I may be wrong.
Posted Aug 28, 13
It might well have been confirmed somewhere, it is confirmation either way I am looking for so if you know of a source that would be fabulous! It is just however much searching I do I just come up with the “living rock” and “silicon based life form” comments which do not sound overly conclusive. (That or I end up finding out a lot about the physiology of some demon from Buffy the Vampire Slayer!)
Posted Aug 28, 13
Arimar Benefactor
Stars:
+1,000
Updated: Added some new photos and Sarge. Feel free to contribute any new information.
105fbcca-1acf-46f4-93e6-67bfbfa56488_zpse0f84b33.png
Posted Nov 22, 13 · OP · Last edited Nov 22, 13
These are the other female Granok pictures I have found:
Spoiler: Show
Posted Nov 22, 13
Star
List
Undo
Thanks for putting this together, I'm definitely going to be playing a Granok as my main character.

Interesting to find out that they're not fully made of rock, I like that. Also wanted to mention that there are a few pictures of Granok where they have leaves for a mustache or moss in places... So I guess some can grow plant-life on them?

Also I figure that following the Way of Stone will be less common among the playable Granok, but some might try to hold onto it even just a little bit, just like the way some people IRL are religious but only when it suits them or when they feel like it. :p They might stick to a sword because of the Way of Stone, refusing to fight primarily with new technology, it's there if you want to try working with it, but generally it looks like the Granok are moving far beyond the confining philosophy.
The tenets of this philosophy were simple - the world might shift around them, but the Granok were as immutable and unchanging as the living stone from which their bodies were hewn. So it had been for tens of thousands of years, and so it would ever wrote:

This could easily be "adapted" as just limiting how much you change, trying not to lose yourself / your race's identity.
Posted Nov 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+47
I think it is impossible for Exile granok to follow the way of stone. Not only did all of them live on a gigantic spaceship for most of there life but even the warriors use advanced technological swords.
Posted Nov 30, 13
I think it is definitely impossible to follow it in they way they did on Gnox. However, I do agree with Forest that deep beliefs are hard to let go of, even when you have 'sinned' to a great extent. I honestly think we will still see a lot of Granok trying to make their beliefs fit into this new world.

After all there is far more to the Way of the Stone than just shunning technology.
Posted Nov 30, 13
Stars:
+47
Perhaps a sect of granok could try and repent by revitalizing the way on Nexus?
Posted Nov 30, 13
The silicon based lifeform thing, Victoria? Confirmed by a Carbine dev when the WSRP moderators went to the EU Arkship event. This came straight from an official mouth. Check the links in the original post or the post directly underneath that highlights the link.
Posted Nov 30, 13
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices