Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 8

Arkship EU Lore Compilation

72 replies
Stars:
+28
Quote:
There has been quite a bit of talk about the size of the galaxy and how many planets there were. Chad said that it’s unlikely that there are that many inhabited planets. Nexus is a very important find for several reasons, one of them being that it is pretty much the Exile’s last hope -at all-, but more about that in a moment.

So basically, don’t expect Star Wars or Star Trek. There’s not going to be hundred of planets with aliens living on them that your character could have visited before coming to Nexus

At first this caused me a bit of trepidation - I also have to question just how much Chad meant by 'aren't that many' - it's certainly not going to be star wars/star trek/40k level as you imply, but 'not too many' could mean enough to count on your toes or enough to be into the high double digits. Personally I can't imagine the Cassians being this great big evil empire if they only hold one - doubly so when they show a willingness to ravage and reap Arboria. If inhabitable planets are such a precious commodity then it stands to reason they wouldn't ravage. That's often been cited as why the humans wouldn't just colony drop Pandora in a very similar circumstance. But it may very well be the Cassians only have their Home planet and Mikros.

But what helped alleviate my concern is something we should all remember. Planets are big. Very big. Xbox huge, even. Very often one can be inclined to view them in the compact, piecemeal size often depicted in games like SWTOR. And it's clear that lots of little bite size visits is not the modus operandi of Wildstar given we're currently focused only on Nexus and it has a lot of zones. So we shouldn't think of a plant like in the Star Wars sense (where often a planet's entire lore would compare to the geographic/cultural expanse of some small sector of Earth). But rather more like our own Earth (or Azeroth or Tyria or Middle Earth and so on). A very large, varied and diverse landscape rather than a homogeneous planet that's just Coruscant or Bespin or snow snow and more snow (hi hoth). And judging from the diverse flora and fauna of Nexus, it's more than likely we could expect similar on any other planet.

Then again, the milky way and earth topic has me swinging back to supporting the idea of a vast planet-spanning empire. I'd say the best bet is for us all to be fluid with our characters and backstories
Posted Apr 30, 13 · Last edited Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+102
/offtopic

CHEETAH CLAWS! *pounces*
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+21
i am saddened that the galaxy is so small.
287ceaeb-c61f-4f50-9550-eb9c22c5580d_zps465c2682.jpg
Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+125
Asnrbael wrote:
i am saddened that the galaxy is so small.

I'm not. The galaxy needs rules, and limitations. It would be way too much if there were just limitless planets with limitless races that would just appear when it's convenient. It would completely ruin the allure of Nexus. It's supposed to be a very important planet.
03Rn14E.png
Posted Apr 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Please note that the stuff about the Galaxy size isn't very clear cut and I tried making it vague for the reason. Don't read too much into it, my point was more that it's not Star Wars style :) Nexus is important to the Exiles because it really is their last option, but beyond that, there's no exact number I give you guys, so yeah, a bit of fluidity is probably good :) I think what I mostly took from it is that I'll be leaving the creation of planets to Carbine, because they probably have some plan with stuff ^^

But Daze is absolutely right, the point is exactly that Nexus is a very important planet, and with an unlimited number of possible planets they could have travelled to instead, it would remove that importance. I quite like that as well.
Posted Apr 30, 13 · OP · Last edited May 1, 13
Stars:
+710
Thank you so much for this info. I love the confirmation on Male Aurin size, the Aurin belief system (glory to The Weave!) and the size of an Arkship. Hoo, dolly, it's practically a floating metropolis!
Entity "Lifira Flutterfire"
Posted May 1, 13
Stars:
+157
Aww.. No additional information on the Millenials..
And here I was hoping that I could make Butler-Bot into a living "whodunnit" story.. Except that he'd gotten away with it for a loooooong time.
Posted May 1, 13
Stars:
+203
Well. In Star Wars, next to every planet holds a life form. It's silly. In 40k, there are life forms, but not in the same abundance, really. Sure you come across wierd aliens once in a while, but how often have it not turned out that it was just wierd nids or some chaos contraption? Star Trek, I have no idea. But doesn't it say somewhere that the Eldan scoured a thousand worlds of life or something like that before finding the Cassians?

As Ender said, I don't think we should read too much into it. There are obviously plenty of aliens, and a whole lot of worlds, its just not THAT huge so it hosts a whole wookieepedia of species and worlds. Wich I like.
Berlech Mikhail Ojiznivic - Mordesh

Posted May 1, 13
Ash
Stars:
+63
Overall... this release of information has been greatly disappointing to me, other than galaxy size.
Posted May 1, 13
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
Ah well, y'win some y'lose some, Ash. What's disappointing about it, you wanted more answers? Or the answers weren't what you were hoping for?
Posted May 1, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 8
NoticeNotices