of 8

Arkship EU Lore Compilation

72 replies
Ender ao
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Online on Site
Here's some of the lore info we managed to gather at Arkship EU last week. Thank you to Patrician, Renaise, Fenwick and Hrothgar for helping me gather this info, and especially Fenwick for keeping a pretty good log that helped me add a bunch of stuff to my own list.

The Galaxy and the story up to “Present Time”:
First, a bit of general info about the galaxy in general and the lore regarding the conflict up until the game is set. It’s a bit scattered, most of it is coming from conversations and short “interviews”, and there’s still some stuff we/they can’t talk about, so I hope you can live with the fact that the information isn’t always 100% connected :d

So, let’s start!

There has been quite a bit of talk about the size of the galaxy and how many planets there were. Chad said that it’s unlikely that there are that many inhabited planets. Nexus is a very important find for several reasons, one of them being that it is pretty much the Exile’s last hope -at all-, but more about that in a moment.

So basically, don’t expect Star Wars or Star Trek. There’s not going to be hundred of planets with aliens living on them that your character could have visited before coming to Nexus :)

Now, I mentioned that it was the last hope of the Exiles, and here’s a bit more detail about that.
We know the Exiles went to Arboria and met the Aurin there. This also, sadly, led to the Dominion discovering the planet, and they promptly started the destruction. The Exiles saved some of the Aurin, but some still remained, however, their fate is unknown.

The Exiles pretty much all lived on a single Arkship, the Gambler’s Ruin. While there are other ships around of various sizes, there are no other Arkships. Gambler’s Ruin served as home for pretty much all the Exiles, and was pretty massive, with stuff like stores scattered around in it.

I asked if there were other adventurers looking for Nexus or at least something similar, and Chad clarified that there really wasn’t that much, in fact, most people didn’t believe that Dorian would ever find anything. He had an idea about Nexus and possible where it was, but when he went out, it was pretty much into the unknown, and it was no small journey.

In the meantime, the Exiles on the Gambler’s Ruin were pretty much screwed. They got some of the Aurin off Arboria, but there was really nowhere to go, and they were pretty sure that it was only a matter of time before the Dominion would be cracking down on them. So when Dorian returned with news of the Nexus, it was quite literally their final, desperate chance.

And speaking of: As we all know, time in MMOs is a tricky thing, as the game’s start might not be the same time as the game’s ending, and everybody could technically be in different stages of the timeline. However, Chad explained that the game is set roughly around 1665, plus/minus. So around 5-10 years after the destruction of Arboria, and the time when Dorian first discovered the planet. This means generally speaking, unless your Aurin is a teenager, they would have been beyond childhood when the planet was destroyed :)

Ok, that bring us on to slightly more specific stuff regarding the various races. We didn’t get the same amount of info on all the races, but this won’t be the last lore talks we have with Chad, so I’m sure more stuff will get filled out down the line.

Races:
Cassian:
  • Religion: While there are a lot of details Chad couldn’t go into, as we’ve gotten hints of in the videos, the Cassians definitely follow a religion involving the Eldan, and they do have churches.
  • They are not originally from Cassus, but we don’t know where they actually were from. They have however been on Cassus for quite a bit.
  • Also, the punishment for a defecting Cassian would almost certainly be death.

Human:
  • The Exile humans do not share the Cassians Eldan-centric beliefs. In fact, we’re not quite sure if they believe in anything at all.

Granok:
  • Granok are described as silicon life forms, they aren't inanimate, they're sentient organisms that have full cycles.
  • They, as we know, follow The Way of the Stone.
  • They do seem to live for a long time, though we can’t say exactly how long
  • They might chip when... Well, #WildStarTMI

Draken:
  • The Draken follow a religion revolving around a blood rites, including blood sacrifices and rituals.
  • They do not share the belief of the Cassians and the Mechari, and the Dominion doesn’t force them to because... well would YOU try to FORCE the Draken to do anything?
  • They give birth to live offspring. No eggs.

Mechari:
  • They are of course tied in with the Cassians belief in the Eldan.
  • They are not droids or robots as such. You can’t program or reprogram a Mechari for instance, and they don’t generally have an operating system.
  • They eat and drink, and yes, they can get drunk ;-)
  • They are the founders and leaders of the ICI (though other races can be agents too)
  • There is no secret Mechari handshake
  • In fact, they are quite the individuals, and if a Mechari thought that another Mechari were a threat to the Dominion, they would not hesitate to withhold information from them or even eliminate them
  • They feel very responsible for the success of the Dominion

Aurin:
  • Unlike Gnox and Mikros, there were no attempt at making the Aurins part of the Dominion, they went straight to the bulldozers (or Planet Reapers as it were).
  • Their religion is centered around something called “The Weave”. The (female) leaders of smaller Aurin societies can interact with the Weave in still unexplained ways.
  • Female Aurin are generally taller than male Aurin
  • Aurin can have blue and green skin, possibly more.
  • They do not all have animal ears, they can also have more wing-like ears. We’ve seen bat wings already, but there are more.
  • They might have another set of “human” ears too, though there were some debate about that even among the devs, and no model could provide us with definite proof. More research is needed :d
  • As mentioned, not all Aurin were saved for Arboria, but we don’t know what happened to the ones that stayed

Other stuff
And now to general stuff!

• There is a written language, however, it’s not entirely represented in game. You can’t translate the signs you come across in game, so don’t try.
  • Scan-bots are not distributed by Protostar, they grew from development on both sides. They can have AI software, and it’s these various AIs can sometimes illustrate various “personalities.”
  • While each race might have had (or still have) their own languages at some point, currently, they all talk a shared, universal language. No, this has nothing to do with cross faction communication, which is still covered by the NDA, so please don’t ask about that. This merely refers to how the different races communicate with each other within their own factions.
  • Magic is technically something everyone can learn, however, some people are born with more affinity for it than others. An Esper will generally have a stronger grasp of the purely magic side than say, a Spellslinger, who uses their guns to focus the magic. However, it’s not impossible to have a Spellslinger who technically could have been an Esper if they wanted to, but just prefers to use the guns. Generally speaking, an Esper would probably be more in tune with the magic than a Spellslinger.
  • There’s some more lore about magic I think people will love that I sadly can’t go into detail with, but it’s generally fascinating stuff!
  • Teleportation is possible, at shorter ranges. Probably not from planet to planet, but you could technically treat teleporting to your house as IC. That being said, teleporting out of a tricky situation to avoid consequences should probably still be avoided ;)

I think that’s pretty much what we got for you this time around! There might be little things we’ve forgotten that will be added down the line, so of course, feel free to ask and we’ll see what we can answer!
Posted Apr 30, 13 · OP · Last edited Apr 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+402
awesome post ender!
BriyanaSig1_zpsf38b966c.png

Officer / Peacekeeper Mira's Anchorage Click here for more info!
Have questions about Mira's Anchorage? Check out our wiki Here!
Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+81
I do love me some lore.

Yay, much of my thoughts about the Mechari being sentient and individuals are true!
Posted Apr 30, 13
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
Woot, all my questions got revealed... I think, and glad I could be of help, Ender! :d

Including the Scan-Bot and Granok stuff! Whoo! So glad we could reveal that ^_^

Also, I know it was mentioned in the Esper thread but since this is the Lore Dump:

Couple of bits to add that Ender missed.

• Espers are not telepathic. They are telekinetic and have empathic abilities also. So no "Whooooo You're thinking of the number 3!"

• Races are not able to cross breed. There are no mutant cross breed half-stone-bunnies running about.
Posted Apr 30, 13 · Last edited Apr 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Very, very helpful. Thanks so much for putting this together!
Silas' blog
Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+182
Thanks for the post Ender! A -lot- of cool stuff to learn from it. I can't wait to hear more. :d

I have one question though, does this mean that all Exiles in their mid- to late twenties, would have had to taken a stand with the Exiles at a young age? I mean, did people join the Exiles over the course of time, or was it one single isolated group of people?
Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+203
Splendid!

Yes! Mechari are exactly as I envisioned them. Completely sentient, developing and learning beings, just made up of a different kind of material compared to our flesh and blood. Can't underline how happy I am that it's not a super advanced AI that make up their mind. And what is that? They are even religious? Ohmai...

And there is a Church! A dominion church! Religious church going Mechari - sharpen that sword, babeh, I'm going to town! *floats off on a cloud of bliss*
Berlech Mikhail Ojiznivic - Mordesh

Posted Apr 30, 13 · Last edited Apr 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Ender ao
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Online on Site
The rebellion that split the Exiles from the Dominion happened roughly 300 years ago. I think it's safe to say that most humans with the Exiles have been there their entire life, and their parents' and grandparents' and great grandparents' etc. There migh be defectors, but it doesn't seem like it's a whole lot. Almost all of the Exile humans have lived their entire life on Gambler's Ruin.
Posted Apr 30, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2,002
Great post, Ender. Just that little hub of mechari information is plenty enough to get me back to my workbench and rehash stuff for my mechari. *gear-churn*
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Apr 30, 13
Stars:
+1,991
Admins
Caretaker
Melvorn wrote:
Thanks for the post Ender! A -lot- of cool stuff to learn from it. I can't wait to hear more. :d

I have one question though, does this mean that all Exiles in their mid- to late twenties, would have had to taken a stand with the Exiles at a young age? I mean, did people join the Exiles over the course of time, or was it one single isolated group of people?

It depends on the race. According to the timeline the Granok may have joined up with the Exiles anytime centuries ago since the Gnox rebellion happened around 444 years or so ago. Now, Durek Stonebreaker was the leader of the forces that eventually smote the Dominion and kicked them off the planet, and while Granok are not immortal, Durek is not an "old" man by Granok standards... so it's probably up to the RPer how old they want to say their Granok is at launch. We don't know yet how they even reproduce. ;) But the Granok who are part of the Exiles all joined up at the same time as one Mercenary group, sometime after the Cassian Civil war when the Exiles were founded by Brightland.

Now as for the Aurin, well they joined up VERY recently in the timeline to the discovery of Nexus. Basically right after the Ravaging of Arboria and the evacuation by the Aurin Queen and her people in 1658, the Aurins joined the Exiles officially. Now the game begins only about 7 years (give or take) after that event. So they've all joined up rather recently.

As for the <REDACTED> race, of course no idea.

But Humans clearly are born into the Exiles. They've been running for over 287 years or so, and generations have already passed.
patriciansignature2_zpse831ff55.png
Posted Apr 30, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 8
NoticeNotices