Page
of 48

Silas' Scribbly Sketches

477 replies
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Esper1slightlysmaller_zps91725c39.jpg

Current dabbling: Esper guy. Was listening to "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons on loop just.. blasting it. And this guy popped up.

"Cornered? Me...?"

"Ha. Naaah... get ready for the real party, man."
Silas' blog
Posted May 2, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
And one before bed, a supersupersuper sketchy Silas done mostly to see how fast I could pop out a gesture. Fairly good... half a minute? If I keep loose and let the lines do their thing, it looks so much better than if I crawled through the angst of 'arm.. goes... herrrrrrghhhh~TABLEFLIP.~'

quicksilas_zps829e7b91.jpg
Silas' blog
Posted May 2, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Packetdancer Benefactor
Stars:
+1,140
That's a great little sketch, very dynamic feeling. And for half a minute, that's downright AMAZING.
WildStar-signature_zps6730a527.png
Posted May 3, 13
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
Silas Sedgewick wrote:
Spoiler: Show

Current dabbling: Esper guy. Was listening to "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons on loop just.. blasting it. And this guy popped up.

"Cornered? Me...?"

"Ha. Naaah... get ready for the real party, man."

I really -really- like this one! The colours are awesome!
Posted May 3, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Packetdancer wrote:
That's a great little sketch, very dynamic feeling. And for half a minute, that's downright AMAZING.

XD At the start of life drawing each class we spent roughly fifteen to twenty minutes drilling through exercises like gesture drawings--with a moving model, and so on. The point was sort of that you made yourself dedicate to a single line, but also to the notion that a sketch is just an initial impression. There shouldn't be a whole lot of time put into it, because you have the whole meat of building the drawing up to do that may or may not even go along with it.

Obviously I'm not that intense with it anymore, but it did help makes me less controlling about the initial sketch itself. Which is good. I'm sort of a control freak when it comes to me and trying to do something. My poor first thrown pottery samples are a great testament to that... 'No... damnit... I want you to pull!' '... We as the ball of clay are not ready, stop making us do something we don't want to, stupid human. RELAX.'

So yes. All that rambling aside... thank you! I highly recommend gesture sketches. ^^; (I really really like them.)

GodSilaswhatthecrapshutup.
Fenwick wrote:
I really -really- like this one! The colours are awesome!

Thank you! He was really fun to have popped up on me like that. I already like this guy a lot.
Silas' blog
Posted May 3, 13 · OP · Last edited May 3, 13
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Tam!

I originally thought this was going to be an older version of Esper guy up there, but thinking on Tam, this design just kept turning up as him. So! There we go. A fellow from Silas' time on the Nyx's Mantle. This is the crop of the sketch I fell in love with and stopped at:

CroppedEsper_zps06fa2327.jpg
Spoiler: This is the full sketch that I started with!Show
Silas' blog
Posted May 5, 13 · OP · Last edited May 12, 13
Star
List
Undo
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
Eeeeh! It's green! so instant points there.

I really do like how you manage to capture so much emotion and energy from your characters by barely revealing any of them, it's an extremely good use of style which really seems to add more than it leaves out... If that makes sense.

Keep 'em coming!
Posted May 5, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Silashood_zps40fefda9.jpg

Tonight's sketch: hooded!Silas.

XD Hahaha, thanks so much, Fen. It's good to know I'm doing something that's working!

M-maybe eventually I'll start trying to do something crazy like a background. >_<;
Silas' blog
Posted May 5, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Tonight's sketch is actually a snatch of a scene from part of Silas' back story, and the ill fate of the ship Nyx's Mantle. Some spoilers. And some death/blood/angst. Tucking it away behind a spoiler tag as such.
Spoiler: Oh mans?Show
Silas' blog
Posted May 6, 13 · OP · Last edited May 6, 13
Star
List
Undo
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
I know I say this about all your art, but... That one is particularly powerful. There's so much emotion conveyed in that piece that it's beautiful in an almost sad way. Coupled with the story, there's an extremely rich depth to this piece. Excellent work, Silas!
Posted May 6, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 48
NoticeNotices