WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 7

Naming Conventions

66 replies
Stars:
+102
Quite possibly, but a great many times K does have a very hard sound to it. G is a bit easier to tone down. For all we know, Arwick is a damn "unique" name and the majority don't use Ks!
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Mar 1, 13 · OP
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
What Darfae said, plus, there might not even be any specific rules other than "this sounds sort of right". While I know that RL languages develope in certain ways, fantasy names and words doesn't really have to follow that convention, you can have a race with names that sounds completely different from eachother and as long as the creator says that that's how it is, that's how it is :)
Posted Mar 1, 13
Stars:
+1,991
Admins
Caretaker
Yeah I think that's why with this game, while I do appreciate seeing characters that 'fit' into the theme of race names in the game... I still say that if I saw a Granok named Bob I'd reserve any kind of judgement until I talked to him. He could just be a Granok who liked the sound of the name. ;)

I mean, I'm going to shoot xX_Leggolass_Xx on sight, but Bob can live until he comes up and talks to me. :thumb:
patriciansignature2_zpse831ff55.png
Posted Mar 1, 13 · Last edited Mar 1, 13
Star
List
Undo
DCB
Stars:
+133
I'd be kind of endeared to a Granok named Bob...he could have a tattoo chiseled into his arm that says Mom, and his ship could be called the Wow...

Hmmm think I'll go draw up a character sheet.
Kail Gerrad - Might be a mongrel, but this mongrel has TEETH!
Posted Mar 1, 13
Star
List
Undo
I would think (just my personal opinion here) that Human names for Exile side could be pretty much all over the place. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the Exiles would have a lot of blue collar, mid to low income families. Generally speaking, such families are less inclined to be rigorous about the historic / traditional precedents around naming and may in fact specifically choose to buck that system as a sign of their independence / rebellious attitude.

I think the Cassians of the Dominion -- especially any individuals / families with high aspirations -- would be more likely to stick to traditional naming conventions and the symbolic power / status attributes associated with them.

Other races (in this milieu) might be more likely to have what we would perceive as strict conventions, but I think the humans have a ton of leeway and the conventions (or lack thereof) will be dependent on how much a character wants to be...conventional. ;-)
Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others...past and present. And by each crime...and every kindness...we birth our future.
Posted Mar 1, 13
Kurik Benefactor
Stars:
+38
I asked Chad about Draken surnames on Twitter today and he replied with this! :)

https://twitter.com/Pappylicious/status/313079446557044736
Chad wrote:
Draken do have clans, but not surnames. But! They do often give themselves titles. #WildStar #WeekendLoreBomb
Posted Mar 16, 13 · Last edited Mar 16, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
Darkfae wrote:
The name Arwick doesn't precisely fit this mold, so I still wonder if male names have a different convention than female names. This is a rather broad convention, as there is no related "real life" language mentioned, however so far all of these names have been created names that closely resemble some "real life" names.

Female First Names
Liara
Myala
Darsa
Neras

Male First Names
Arwick

Surnames
Everstar
Redleaf

I agree that these names sound Saxon, or Old English. The female names fit that form as well I think.
Posted Mar 18, 13
Stars:
+603
So reading this over on WS Central in the Q&A about the patch notes with Gaffney and other people, while yes it is a technical thing, it does bring up the interesting tidbit about using numbers in names. He also mentions the Mechari.

So what does this do for Mechari naming? How could this affect other racial naming maybe?
Posted Apr 16, 13
Star
List
Undo
Nice catch Carna. Chances are though we will have to find a common trend among the names of each race when we get in-game to get anything solid. But here is to hoping that the devs give us something before launch!
Posted Apr 16, 13
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
I'll make sure to ask them this weekend if they can give us something on naming conventions :)
Posted Apr 16, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 7
NoticeNotices