Page
of 7

Naming Conventions

66 replies
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Before you posted this thread, I wrote and asked about naming conventions, and I just got a reply with at least a few of the races from Scooter, so here you are:
Scooter wrote:
As you noticed, the names of the various characters do have inspirations from all over the places. To answer some of your questions below:

· Aurin first names typically have two or more syllables and tend more towards "soft" consonants (examples: Myala, Darsa, Neras)

· Exile human first names are usually variants of standard English names with altered spelling (examples: Brion, Jemma, Shalli)

· Cassian first names do have a pattern, but it's actually one I can't dive into too much detail on (it's actually a little spoilery). Roman names are a fair place to look at for inspiration for now; once we start revealing more of the history behind the human race, we may be able to shed more light on their ancestry. (OOH MYSTERIOUS!) (examples: Torick, Rentic)

That gives us a few more examples of Aurin and human names at least, and really peaks my curiosity about the Cassian!
Hopefully I'll get an update with the other races, but I hop you guys can use this! :)

Also: This post is getting sticky.. Ew..
Posted Feb 27, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+102
Thanks for both the information AND the sticky, Ender!
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Feb 27, 13 · OP
Stars:
+13
Thank you for making this thread! I had the website for Guild Wars 2 with the naming conventions bookmarked, since I love staying as close to canon as possible. :)

I've been debating what to name my main character I plan on playing in WildStar. She's going to be a Cassian scientist (and most likely an Esper). I really like the name Lyla (a more sci-fi spelling of Lilah). I was originally thinking Stargazer as her surname (not only since she enjoys observing the stars, but also studying life, planets, and anything out there in space as well), but now I'm thinking that sounds far too Exile. I then looked up the Latin word for "stars," which is Sidereus (also meaning divine/heavenly/starry), which I thought sounded just the right amount of sinister, and it still kept with the sci-fi theme I wanted to go for. What do you guys think though? Is Sidereus Cassian-sounding? It's hard for me to guess, given our limited insight into their names so far.

EDIT: I just saw Ender's post with the quote from Scooter. Now I'm second guessing everything and thinking that Lyla sounds exactly like an Exile name! Ah, I may just need to reevaluate my name entirely then and figure out what this pattern is Scooter was referring to for the Cassians...
Posted Feb 27, 13 · Last edited Feb 27, 13
Stars:
+102
I'm taking a wild guess that the Cassian naming conventions have some roots in the Eldan, however since it was suggested by Scooter that Roman is a good guideline for now, I believe that the Latin choice for a surname is completely viable, given how similar the languages are. Sidereus does have a certain level of "sinister" sound to it, without being super cartoony mustache twirling villain.

Lilah is Persion for Lilac Tree. Syringea/Syringa is the Latin word for Lilac, if you wanted to play off that part of the name while Arobr/Arboris, Trabs/Trabis, Lignum/Ligni, Arbuscula/Arbusculea, Tabulatum/Tabulati, Viridarium/Viridarii, and Myxa/Myxae are all tree-related but non-tree specific words. Thematically, these names are similar to Lilah, however finding a Latin word that sounds like Lilah will take longer.
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Feb 27, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+13
Thank you for that reply, Darkfae, and for all the insight!

I love the way Sidereus rolls off the tongue, and I'm glad that it doesn't sound too much like a silly villain. I want my character's name to be beautiful yet deadly-sounding to almost mimic her personality, which isn't unlike a rose with thorns. :evil:

Those are all really lovely tree-related words, and I do love flora-themed names. Lilah is a name that particularly was appealing to me, as my favorite flowers are lilacs, simply because I love the way they smell best. :)

Thank you again for the help! I am considering some more options and have been doing a lot of research. *flips through a mountain of dusty, old books* I know that perfect name will come to me...

EDIT:
Something that I found previously that I just came across again and really liked is the name Eris. It is the name of a Greek goddess of chaos, strife and discord, and it also is the name of the most massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System. Love it! The only problem is, it's not fully Cassian. There needs to be more to it than that. I was thinking all kinds of options, and it finally boiled down to two:

Erisyla (yla being pronounced like isla - somewhat islandish)
or
Erisylum (as in insane asylum xD)

I really like how they both sound, and they appear to be similar enough to Cassian names. I think I'll probably go with Erisyla Sidereus, but we'll see.
Stars:
+65
I'm sure Greek is fine. Artemis is another Greek goddess, after all. :)
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
I think this thread is mostly for posting what we actually know about naming conventions.
For discussion about specific character names, please post in this thread instead :)
Posted Feb 27, 13
Stars:
+102
Updated with the Mechari information we got today!
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Feb 27, 13 · OP
Stars:
+13
Ender wrote:
I think this thread is mostly for posting what we actually know about naming conventions.
For discussion about specific character names, please post in this thread instead :)
Oh, nice! I missed seeing that thread. Thanks, Ender. :)
Posted Feb 27, 13
Star
List
Undo
ShadowedSin Benefactor
Stars:
+606
A few things.

If you look at what we know of Aurin names, now:

Liara, Myala, Neras, etc and Arwick. None of these names end with a voiced consonant or use a voiced consonant after the initial syllable.

Note by soft I believe you should avoid any sounds that go toward the through. So G / K are as far back you wanna go :d
Space Opera, Mecha, Psionic-Techno / Magic, Planetary / Courtly Politics
lits_banner_2_by_catsohori-d89aoll.png
Project Blog | Features List
Release Date: 2017

Links to check out:
[ Human / Cassian Lore Compendium ] | [ Racial Lore Guides ] | [ Class Lore Guides ]
Posted Feb 28, 13
Page
of 7
NoticeNotices