WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 7

Naming Conventions

66 replies
Stars:
+102
Someone did this for Guild Wars 2, and it was incredibly helpful. Basically, the end goal is to have this original post revised with a comprehensive guide to the naming conventions by race before the betas finish out. This is a bit challenging, though sometimes we role players get lucky and a game company outright announces where they drew their name etymologies from.

Right now, this is a lot of listing of example names that we do have. About the only suppositions I can make are on the Cassians names in general, and Aurin surnames.

Naturally, any contributions from other site members are welcome!

Also, Mirax has built a Name Generator over at Big Damn Heroes. If you want a quick and dirty name builder, that's the ticket to it.

Aurin Naming Conventions
While the etymologies of Aurin first names are still vague, it seems that their last names are two words strung together - a descriptor coupled with an object. Granted, we only have two surnames to go off of, but its a start!

"Aurin first names typically have two or more syllables and tend more towards "soft" consonants." ~Scooter

The name Arwick doesn't precisely fit this mold, so I still wonder if male names have a different convention than female names. This is a rather broad convention, as there is no related "real life" language mentioned, however so far all of these names have been created names that closely resemble some "real life" names.

Female First Names
Liara
Myala
Darsa
Neras
Gybella
Vella
Bralla

Male First Names
Arwick
Valynn
Vales
Nooks
Barback

Surnames
Everstar
Redleaf
Sagefern
Greenpollen
Cloudfeather
Shywind
Truroot
Barkbiter
Trubud
Whisperbud

Cassian Naming Conventions
The names being used for Cassians strike me as primarily classical (read: ancient) Roman, Greek or Latin names or variations meant to sound similar to such.

"Cassian first names do have a pattern, but it's actually one I can't dive into too much detail on (it's actually a little spoilery). Roman names are a fair place to look at for inspiration for now; once we start revealing more of the history behind the human race, we may be able to shed more light on their ancestry. (OOH MYSTERIOUS!)" ~Scooter

So we're not all that far off here, however there's a twist to them which may explain why some of them sound Roman/Greek/Latin without actually being such!

Female First Names
Tresayne
Artemis

Male First Names
Dominus
Azrion
Myrcalus
Malvolio
Torick
Rentic

Surnames
Toria
Portius
Zin

Chua Naming Conventions
A little guidance on Chua naming.

1. Keep the names short...neither first or last should be more than two syllables.
  2. My personal preference is mixing up the syllable count...have one for either first or last, and then the two for the other.
  3. In terms of guidance about spelling - nothing hard and fast, but I try to create names that have both humor and a certain kinetic energy. These guys are bouncing around all the time, getting into trouble. I like to give them names that reflect that.
  4. In terms of female Chua - are there female Chua? Are there even male Chua? Ah, the mysteries of Nexus...

Female First Names

Male First Names

Surnames

Draken Naming Conventions
An interview done on 2/25/13 hinted at the idea that Draken don't have surnames. We'll find out how true this is, or if it's a specific clan thing!

Female First Names
Kiari
Kezzia
Milaena
Nala
Wyla
Laveka
Nahira
Lellani
Moyichee

Male First Names
Zhu
Khuvor
Kezrek
Drezkar
Makaza
Sorkan
Hakaar
Kelzo
Zark
Akilos
Khurhak
Ekor
Galthaz
Teresh

Clan Names/Titles
Warbringer
Bloodspiller
the Gorefang

Granok Naming Conventions
We know that the surname of "Stonebreaker" is a title bestowed as a form of disgrace. It's unclear at this point if all of the Granok who followed Durek were labeled such, or if they normally have surnames. Technically, it was a title given, but it seems the Granok adapted it to a surname, possibly after meeting the Exile humans.

Given that there's a female named "Ruby", we can guess that the names of precious and semi precious stones might be an option. This is only speculation, but might not be too far off.

Female First Names
Anxa
Ruby
Kara
Raska
Praxa
Praxa
Gagaru
Gemma
Dexaku
Koga
Kroma
Korara
Roxi
Arkoz
Jadax
Moxmay
Trakaxo
Mogra
Ferrita
Grumshot
Grekka
Frega
Danoxu

Male First Names
Durek
Greko
Krag
Durag
Chip
Torr
Benzag
Krull
Galtok
Takag
Danny

Surnames
Stonebreaker
Studrok

Human (Exile) Naming Conventions
While they were originally from Cassus, with a sort of ancient Roman/Latin/Greek basis for names, it seems the Exiled Humans are potentially getting away from those roots, and going with different names. Possibly more along the lines of English and other European names.

"Exile human first names are usually variants of standard English names with altered spelling." ~Scooter

Largely, we were pretty dead on for the Exiles!

Female First Names
Kit
Jemma
Shalli
Sadie
Wennie
Madeline
Marthia
Belle

Male First Names
Serrick
Dorian
Buck
Brion
Bosun
Aron
Renzo (? could be surname)
Lusk (? could be surname)
Sam
Les

Surnames
Brightland
Walker
Stalworth
Redmark
Pristan
Goldcastle
Riggs
Wiles
Raymes
Grevil
Heathford
Westlee
Hollowberry
Dreamly

Mechari Naming Conventions
In the Meet the Mechari post from Carbine, we find that the woman being questioned has the title of "Agent"; there may be a possibility that it is common for a Mechari to use their position titles as part of their names, but its very unclear at this time!

Female First Names
Voxine

Male First Names
Lex

Surnames

Mordesh Naming Conventions
The names seem to ping off real world Russian names thus far.

Female First Names

Male First Names
Mikhael
Grigory
Igory
Liev
Brekova
Kholov
Victor
Makhail
Vosko
Lukas
Alexi

Surnames
Posted Feb 25, 13 · OP · Last edited Jun 10, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,978
Untagged users
Good post! This'll be very helpful. Don't forget there's Kit, the Exile lady from the faction video, and today's Draken interview had Khuvor as another male Draken name. Sounds like they may not even bother with surnames, will have to see!
Evion Art: Deviantart / Tumblr
Evion's WS Characters
NovaStar Coalition
Posted Feb 25, 13
ShadowedSin Benefactor
Stars:
+606
Looking good :d Did you include the personality of Artemis Zin and Buck the guy from the Trailer?

I would generally point out that it looks like the Dominoin are very Romance language in their naming.

Exiles seem to be more "Immigrant Era" America in their devices. They're going to come off as a hodgepodge :d

Names for Draken include: Zhur and Khuvor
Space Opera, Mecha, Psionic-Techno / Magic, Planetary / Courtly Politics
lits_banner_2_by_catsohori-d89aoll.png
Project Blog | Features List
Release Date: 2017

Links to check out:
[ Human / Cassian Lore Compendium ] | [ Racial Lore Guides ] | [ Class Lore Guides ]
Posted Feb 25, 13 · Last edited Feb 25, 13
Stars:
+87
Very nice! :d Thank you for posting this up and I take it this shall be updated regularly when new names come up?

Wasn't Brightland a Cassian who turned upon his Cassian brothers to help the humans?
96aca6bd8beda565.png
Posted Feb 25, 13
ShadowedSin Benefactor
Stars:
+606
Well Cassians and humans are the same species :/ I figure most of the Exiles are from military or worker class groups :d
Space Opera, Mecha, Psionic-Techno / Magic, Planetary / Courtly Politics
lits_banner_2_by_catsohori-d89aoll.png
Project Blog | Features List
Release Date: 2017

Links to check out:
[ Human / Cassian Lore Compendium ] | [ Racial Lore Guides ] | [ Class Lore Guides ]
Posted Feb 25, 13
Stars:
+102
Brightland was technically the first Exile, in a manner of speaking. I was debating on putting his name under both groups, but I'm afraid of confusing people who haven't read all of the lore.

And yes, this will be updated as I find more information, or others post replies with more information. =)
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Feb 25, 13 · OP
Stars:
+514
Untagged users
This is very cool and I'm sure will be useful for a lot of people. :)

I myself use them as sort of vague guidelines and then basically just use names from the list I already have that kinda match up. (It's a looooong list :p)

But there is always an Renaise... oh yes! xD
Posted Feb 26, 13 · Last edited Feb 26, 13
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Great post, very useful resource :)
Posted Feb 26, 13
Stars:
+102
ShadowedSin and I were discussing possibilities for the naming conventions. Both Liara and Myala may be variations of Hebrew names, while Arwick may be a variation of a Saxon name, which of course would be a bit odd unless they add some female Saxon names and male Hebrew name variants.

Otherwise, we haven't gotten very far due to lack of data. But soon!

1492332.jpg
The Realm of Role Play
Posted Feb 26, 13 · OP
Stars:
+514
Untagged users
soon_meme_collection_640_03.jpg
Posted Feb 26, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page