WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

A new player friendly guide for creating fun, interesting characters!

1 reply
Stars:
+19
((Hello, some of you may know me or not. I popup occasionally from time to time on here! I like to write and create characters. I want to use my passion to help other avoid some of the pitfalls I encountered. So, for those of you who are new players out there reading this, welcome and let's begin! Also, feel free to PM me on here if you would like some writing help or inspiration. Let me know if you found this helpful or to make suggestions to make this guide even better. Tell me if you see any typos! :) ))

This is part 1 of my character creation series: Inspiration and getting started.

Creating a good character can be hard. However, once you get the hang of it, it can be easy, fun and enjoyable! It is pretty confusing sometimes when you want to make an interesting and unique character that also doesn't break the lore. I want to help you as a new player, get comfortable with making your own character and to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made.

Let's start by asking some important questions to help you get started. Start by asking yourself: "Who are you? What do you like? Is your character like you, or different?" This is important because you don't want to create a character that is too unlike yourself. You probably want to avoid a direct self-insert, but if you make them to unlike yourself, it will be hard to RP convincingly as your character.

What story do you want to tell? what story do you want your character to tell? Do they stand for something in your life or a cause you believe in? Your character needs to mean something to you, you need to care about them. After all, you don't care about them, no one else will.

What inspires you? Go with a race that interests or inspires you. Don't just choose something popular like an Aurin unless their lore really interests you. What kind of person would you like to hang out with? Maybe make your character based on a friend or family member, or a personality trait you wish you had.

My advice is to write your answers to these questions down so you can use them later.

Tips:
Think outside of the box. Please, PLEASE, follow this tip. I say this because too many people make their character so basic because they are afraid of breaking lore. Don't be afraid of this. Make them as interesting as you can without making them confusing to others or a Mary Sue (More on that later!).

If it doesn't feel right, don't feel pressured to do it! If someone doesn't like your character, don't feel bad and change them to appease other people. Ask others for help but don't change them to please everybody. Because you really can't! Trust me. :) You loving your character is what really matters!

Even though you are free to do what you want, be sure to do your research to avoid breaking the lore too much. It's helpful to know as much about the race you are playing as possible. It makes it easier to interact with others of your race and will help you make a better character. If you can't find the answer to your lore question by searching for it, ask someone! There are many people out there who can help you.

A big tip of mine would be to think of an interesting Race/Personality combo. This can help you think outside of the box! Some suggestions are A vegan Draken, a hair stylist Chua, a genius Granok, etc. The possibilities are endless. You don't have to do this, it's just helpful if you really want to be different. Feel free to ask other players what kind of characters they might find interesting if you want more ideas.

If you have followed most of these steps, you should be ready to move onto the next step: Writing it all down.
Posted May 28, 17 · OP · Last edited May 28, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+19
This is part two of my guide: Write it all down.

Making a character personality sheet can help you organize your thoughts and can even improve your RP! Adding more fun things besides the basics can make your character feel more alive and their hobbies/interests can be topics of discussion when your character and other people's characters are interacting. Side note: This is a personal use character sheet, you need a detailed one for yourself to help you write your character's backstory. Here is a simplified one for sharing about your character on the forums:

My personality sheet for you:

The basics and necessities
Name:
Eye color:
Physical appearance:
Strange or physical attributes:
Style of dress or favorite outfit:
Defining gestures and speaking style:

Personal stuff
Things that they would like to change about themselves:
Pet peeves:
Fondest memory:
Their job/business:
Hobbies/Interests:
Any special powers or skills:
Insecurities:
Quirks/eccentricities:
Temperament:
Negative traits:
Things that upset or embarrass them:
Any phobias:
This character is highly opinionated about:

Fun extras
Favorite entertainment(books, tv, movies):
Favorite foods:
Religion/philosophy of life:
Description of their living space:
Pets?:
Theme song:
Smell?(what do they smell like):
Secret dreams:

(And yes, I included some weird things like that your character should have a smell. Real people all have certain smell such as a perfume they like or they smell like things they spend time around.)

Once you are certain of what you want, you could move onto the next part: Critiques and Mare Sue...
Posted May 28, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices