WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

Holocrypts and YOU: A PSA

5 replies
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Holocrypts are used across Nexus to reduce the turnover of catastrophic workplace accidents, lower the rate of combat force attrition in war, provide exploratory societies a measure of protection against going into the unknown, and allow the terrible profit mongers at Protostar the ability to host deadly gameshows, for money. However, they are not without their downsides.

To use a Holocrypt, one must first register at a Holocrypt terminal. While many high-risk corporations have one or several of their own, it is incredibly expensive for a private citizen to enroll. As they are Eldan technology of somewhat unknown construction, there are a limited number of terminals available. Those corporations tend to provide registration this as part of their health benefits package. Go in for a medical exam and they run your blood work, register at the holocrypt, do a standard physical, all part of the routine. If you opt out of Holocrypt Registration, you will not be brought back from the brink of death, especially in cases of pulverization, vaporization and decapitation.

Holocrypts are not get out of jail free cards. Sometimes, the recipient fails to rematerialize and their Primal Echo is released, joining the dead for rest eternal. Occasionally, the Primal Pattern becomes scrambled, and an amalgamated horror is retrieved in their place, once again leading to permanent death. Rarely, the body rematerializes but the device fails to recapture the Primal Echo, leaving a blank shell to exist among the living. For the majority of the time when it does work, it is by no means a walk in the park.

The Holocrypt reconstructs the body from a cellular level by a small implanted chip that records the Primal Pattern at the time of death and recaptures the Primal Echo through some form of currently unknown Eldan technological process. Scientists have recorded large surges in Primal Logic and Life energy when a body is reconstituted. Because the primal pattern is copied at the time of death, sometimes lost limbs will remain lost. Gruesomely, this includes heads. While the surge of Primal Life lends to a basic healing of wounds, the user will be rendered in a stable, but critical state. Without additional medical care, they may still perish.

Some other drawbacks of Holocrypt revival may include the nearly-departed being revived in a comatose state, experience convulsions, memory loss, phantom limb syndrome, feelings of sharp and often excruciating pain where the cause of death was experienced, extreme nausea, dizziness, inability to concentrate, and may require intense physical rehabilitation. Scar tissue is both common and expected over the site of any wounds. The Holocrypts are also either unable or unwilling to restore life to those who perish from natural causes such as old age or disease. Due to Primal Pattern corruption, those who fall to Augmentation or the Phage are rarely able to be properly revived. On top of this, many users recall a snarky, derisive voice mocking them before their body is reconstructed. We are at this time unable to verify this claim.

While some exceptionally lucky users of the Holocrypt can be back in action in a few days, most are generally out of commission anywhere from a few weeks to months while they recover. Unfortunately some users never fully regain their former capabilities. Thanks to the unknown nature of how the Primal Echo is retrieved, there is concern that the “You” that comes out of the Holocrypt is not actually “You,” but a near perfect copy. There have been many philosophical debates by the brightest minds on this issue. Due to this, many have explored alternative ways of post-mortem resuscitation.

It is this author’s opinion that one should avoid occupations where you may meet an untimely demise and instead take up a life of something much less precarious, like horticulture.

[ed. note: shortly prior to publication, the author of this article was consumed by a stemdragon while out picking flowers. sadly, they were not registered with this company’s holocrypt terminal, may they rest in peace.]
Remarus Locke @ Entity - Explorer, Owner of the Skyglade Lodge.
Member of Idle Drifters, an RP/PVE guild.
Posted May 22, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
FAQ

What is this?

This is a public proposal to find a community approved implementation of the Holocrypt that balances the severity of character death while still allowing for resurrection via a canon in-universe method.

But what about trivializing death?

The players themselves are ultimately responsible for whether they trivialize it. You can’t and shouldn’t tell another person how to RP, but the above is a proposal on potential consequences that you can use to affect your character negatively if you want to put them through the turmoil of death and resurrection.

But what if I don’t want my character to use the holocrypt or come back another way?

That’s fine, in the above I have outlined that the holocrypt is an opt-in process. Don’t want to use it? Cool.

What is the point of this, why bring this up now?

The main reason is to encourage people to participate in conflict RP. Most people don’t want their characters to die, they’ve poured tons of time and emotional and mental energy into them. This leads many to be overly careful and stay out of dangerous situations where another player might end up cutting their stories short. But, we’re currently ignoring a canon tool for resurrection and dare I say it, character development. Dying would suck. A lot. It’s going to mess with your head. It’s going to leave you scarred both mentally and physically. It’s going to put you in uncomfortable situations. Those things can drive meaningful and fun RP experiences!

This should be changed in (x) way!

That’s cool! This is a living document/proposal. I want folks to contribute their ideas so we can get a community accepted headcanon on how holocrypts work for all of us to use.

I think this idea is dumb. You’re dumb.

Thanks for the feedback?
Posted May 22, 17 · OP · Last edited May 22, 17
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
SUPPORTING LORE DOCUMENTS

Spoiler: DATACUBE ENTRY: Remanifestation PotentialShow
Spoiler: One Life OnlyShow
Spoiler: Cryopod Emergency Operation ManualShow
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
To show how the above information could potentially be used, I've written a short story. No player characters were harmed in this writing... at least not yet
Spoiler: ReconstructionShow

So what do you think, folks? Can we all come together to hammer out a way to address the massive elephant in the room that is the Holocrypt?
Stars:
+110
Well researched. Simply as an RPer, the 'trivializes death' issue is a show-stopper for me personally, so I essentially ignore them. Not denying they have lore-support. Just won't consider references to them legit to my own characters /shrug.
Posted May 22, 17
Stars:
+25
Seems well thought out and reasonable.

Sure beats the 'lol guys im back' after dying before the corpse is even cold.
Posted May 22, 17
NoticeNotices