WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

I want to help out but I have a question.

4 replies
Stars:
+19
I would like to write a character creation and backstory guide to help new players. I have a decent experience with writing and character development in the past. I want to be more helpful to this community, but I have a feeling that as soon as I post my guide, people will tell me I'm giving people bad advice. Do you think I should bother trying? My ideas are slightly different from other people's but they can work. Real-life people not related to me have told me I am good at writing interest characters and their backstories. I really want to help others do the same. I just don't think anyone on here likes or will accept my opinion.
Posted May 3, 17 · OP
Stars:
+28
Hello Pinky,

First I think it's best when addressing topics like this to not come off immediately in the negative. It pulls people away from the topic you are attempting to present.

Second, I feel that all points of view should be welcome and if you have a guide, presenting it to the forums admins for review would be a great way to start.

But most important, like any writer, you must be ready to accept criticism (hopefully constructive) and requested edits. That is the life of a writer.

I hope this helps and wish you luck!
Aster Dashkova - Dashkova Industries - Entity

Dominion News Network
Posted May 3, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+18
It's not that we don't like your opinion. It's just that, in my experience, you have a bad habit of ignoring other people's opinions after asking for them.
Posted May 3, 17
Online on Site
wrote:
But most important, like any writer, you must be ready to accept criticism (hopefully constructive) and requested edits. That is the life of a writer.

This. Sooooo much this.

I spent several years of my life as a tech journalist... I'll give this advice - write your guide, but do not expect it to remain in the form you write it. Writers outside of the professional sphere often live under a false assumption that their *work* is their *creation*. It's not - anything of professional quality is a collaborative creation where they do 75% of the work, and the editor(s) get it into a shape that's final and worthwhile to present to others. The truly good writers I've worked with understand this, and are indeed thankful for their editors.
Posted May 4, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+19
Ok, in response to you all:
I am VERY willing to take criticism from people, IRL, I am in a fiction writing crit group. I am not like my old self and the past things that happened, they were a bad mistake on my part. I deeply apologize. Second, I am asking for constructive criticism on my guide and suggestions. I am simply aware that my way of character backstory creation is different and I think people will say I'm ruining new RPer's chances at making good characters. I know there will always be people who disagree with me, but I fear many people will say this. That is my concern.
Posted May 5, 17 · OP
NoticeNotices