WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

Question about community

7 replies
Stars:
+5
Hey everyone! I've had this game for a while but took a rather long break. It really is one of my favorite MMOs for rp, I love the theme and the world. I just had a question.

I keep hearing there people calling doom for wildstar and that the community is dead and that NCsoft will pull the plug sooner or later, or people saying its perfectly fine. I really would love to play and get involved in the RP community but I also don't want to invest in a game that I love and watch it be tanked by NCsoft (like they did with City of Heros) so I'm just curious on what people have to say? Is it worth the time. Do you think it will keep going? How healthy is the RP community? And which faction has more RP?

I'm sure you've been asked this a million times, but thank you to those that take the time to give there input.
Posted Feb 15, 17 · OP · Last edited Feb 15, 17
Stars:
+123
I think the population has honestly been going up.

The game is certainly not dead, and the RP community sure isn't, either. I recommend joining /WSRP in-game and you'll immediately be able to talk with loads of other RPers. In my experience, though, Exile has more RP.
Posted Feb 15, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+108
I can definitely understand where you're coming, but the RP community here is pretty bumping! The game is still receiving regular new content from the devs, RP plots have events hosted at them every day, and there's still RP guilds and groups creating events and doing things together on either side. While there's been bumps in the road for NCsoft, the devs aren't talking about pulling the plug for Wildstar anytime soon, and I generally feel an air of hoping for the best for the game while we all enjoy it and enjoy the stories we make. I'd like to think that Wildstar will keeping for another several years, being it seems to take a while before a game completely tanks and there isn't any fire alarms going off that Wildstar's end is nigh. Is the RP community as busy as say Balmung or WoW's WRA or Moonguard servers? No, not at all. But are RPers here still being busy bees with making events and doing things together? Yep, so in my opinion, it's very active! You just can't find it as easily as in other places.

(Also, Exile side has a lot of RP all the time that seems to mostly be slice-of-life, while Dominion RP seems to stay more in groups and guilds and be more serious stuff. Not to say either side can't be slice-of-life or serious, but it seems to be the trend. Also, with the game allowing cross-faction guilds and circles to happen as well as housing plots, some of us are having fun crossing the faction border to do conflict plot or factionless collaborations. :d )
Mercurius Nero/Bram Harper - Highborn Smuggler, and Information Broker
Tatius Auriel - Curator to the Library of Hycrest, and Inquisitor
Zooks Wardshaw - 'Space Trucker' a.k.a. a space hillbilly freighter
Aelia Saito - Agent of the Saito Clan

Personal Blog: http://spacepissbabies.tumblr.com/
Posted Feb 16, 17
Stars:
+75
There have been a vocal minority crying "game is dead" since original launch, back in mid-2014. I know, because I've played since launch day. But every MMO has the doomsday crowd, and they like to scream that the sky is falling.

And then there's the rest of us, who love what the game has to offer and just have fun either in roleplay or PvE or PvP or whatever else.

We're still kicking. Just have a look at the upcoming events list and the calendar to see how active stuff is. Both factions are booked pretty much daily with something to do, and that's before you even get into circle/guild specific events.

I recommend diving into RP and just seeing how it goes. Can also kick around on the WSRP Discord (and the Dominion discord if you choose redside) to network with people out of game!
(Dominion) Sylyss Dalakan of House Dalakan

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
Posted Feb 16, 17 · Last edited Feb 16, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+17
Caretaker
The RP community in Wildstar is very active, and very supportive. Dominion has open plots/events almost every night of the week, and I think Exile is up there too! Jump in, be sure to /chjoin WSRP to keep abreast of events and goings-on with the community, and once you start getting your face out there you'll be swimming in RP in no time.
3817763.jpg
Posted Feb 16, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+27
The game is still receiving regular new content from the devs, [...] While there's been bumps in the road for NCsoft, the devs aren't talking about pulling the plug for Wildstar anytime soon, [...] I'd like to think that Wildstar will keeping for another several years, being it seems to take a while before a game completely tanks and there isn't any fire alarms going off that Wildstar's end is nigh.

Just to play devil's advocate here, this was the case for CoH as well - a big new content update was in active development and very close to release at the time it was canned; NCSoft completely blindsided the dev studio who didn't see it coming at all.

That said, I think it's telling that they laid off so many staff last year. I know a lot of people would see that as a sign of coming studio death, but that they contracted their team size tells me that there's some intent for them to keep going. If the game was really on the chopping block, I don't think they'd lay off staff - they'd just pull the plug altogether instead. Probably.

The game is small, but fairly healthy. I wouldn't be paranoid about it and I wouldn't read too much into any news or rumours that crop up. The best way to ensure we keep WS around is to carry on playing it, enjoying it, singing its praises, and welcoming newcomers to the community so it can continue to grow.
Now with 100% more Tumblr!

Rowan Goldenclaw--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Enzo Riverwend--[ Aurin]--[ Engineer ]
Kaiveryn Darkmoon--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Jaxas Wanderwild--[ Aurin ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Nikita Casimir--[ Mordesh ]--[ Medic ]
Taryn Rustridge--[ Exile Human ]--[ Warrior ]
Sequoia Dreamsong--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Hanniko Fenflourish--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Kethral Bloodraker--[ Draken ]--[ Warrior ]
Diego Sagacitus--[ Cassian ]--[ Esper ]
Zera Firemane--[ Draken ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Connor Versutus--[ Cassian ]--[ Engineer ]
Posted Feb 16, 17
Stars:
+75
Narissis wrote:
That said, I think it's telling that they laid off so many staff last year. I know a lot of people would see that as a sign of coming studio death, but that they contracted their team size tells me that there's some intent for them to keep going. If the game was really on the chopping block, I don't think they'd lay off staff - they'd just pull the plug altogether instead. Probably.

For a bit of history, to anyone who does not know --

An overwhelming majority of those layoffs were because the team had bulked up massively in preparation for a China release of the game. This was a huge undertaking, as much of the game content and many of the questlines, even the themes of the factions needed to be rewritten and assets re-designed in order to satisfy Chinese censors. During that time, active development of new content was on a bit of a freeze for the NA release, because they did not want to get out of sync with the variant they were adapting for the China release. When the deal fell through, when Carbine and/or NCSoft pulled the plug and decided the China release was not worth the investment, they laid off that part of the Wildstar team. Carbine has been very active in development on Wildstar since that time, as they are now 100% focused to enhancing and adding to the standard Wildstar release (NA/EU).

A great example is the new dungeon/ adventure/ primal matrix system that is coming out -- that was not announced in the past, it just came out of nowhere while some were saying that CRB would be done developing content after doing Redmoon Terror. This shows me, demonstatively, that the studio is not only dedicated to keeping the game going, but also has the means to do it.
(Dominion) Sylyss Dalakan of House Dalakan

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
Posted Feb 16, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+5
Thank you everyone for replying and giving your opinion. I have re-installed WS and now im at the hard part. Making a new character to rp...see you all in a few years! XD
Posted Feb 16, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices