WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

Aurin inter-tribe relations.

29 replies
Stars:
+1
Gonna toss in my opinion on here, since this is some interesting stuff. In my opinion, any sentient people, of any kind, will have conflict. Although it can be said that Aurin are on the more peaceful end of the spectrum, they did have in lore that Aurin spaced someone off a ship for being mean to a jabbit. I think it's a matter of perspective. It also opens up the possibility that if a tribe considers something 'mean', they have full rights to exact vengeance. Though that's on the more extreme end of the spectrum.

As for quieter disputes, we also have to remember that Arboria was not a country, it was an entire planet. And unless we're going to liken Arboria to Pluto or something, with a very tiny surface space, there would be vast (and varying) types of ideologies, beliefs, and definitions of 'mean'. Planet-wide wars? Probably not, for the very reason Kalita mentioned, that the Queen is connected to the forests and would know the health of them. But honestly, with how large a planet is, so long as the forests are healthy, so long as the people are healthy, she would have no reason to suspect foul play unless she's sending ambassadors. There's no way she could be everywhere at once, and that line Kalita offered is also purely up to debate as well. Being connected does not necessarily mean surveillance. I don't think Wise Ones were leafy telephone poles.

Ryska Dreadvale <Fen Warders> US Server Entity
Posted Jan 4, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+123
Now the bad will push its boundaries, and the good aurin must rally to stand against those who would seek to push out of their stinking mires, desert wastes, or deep dark caverns. Perhaps these aurin were victims of misunderstandings and they aren't as mean as fables would have you believe? Now we have compounding issues and even more reason for things like silent wars and territory expansion. Think of the lore, the folktales, and the myths that such long lasting misunderstandings could bring about. I know I am!

Aw man, now I'm fascinated. Darnit, Toadie.
Posted Jan 4, 17
Stars:
+30
I'm not even sure I know where to start anymore, I'm just fascinated with what you guys have managed to come up with. "Arborian World War" has pretty much been successfully overwritten by the slow and ever-present war (though war at this point in time is such a harsh way to describe it) idea.

Nothing that would alarm the queen, just a quiet scuffle between neighbouring villages as they compete for resources to survive and exist. About as natural as you can get, I think, in this case. Though smaller, weaker tribes merging with more powerful neighbours also comes to mind. Why continue to fight if you know for sure you won't be able to win? Rather join and be safer, hopefully encouraging the next village your borders touch to do the same.

Now with the fables and "mean" Aurin represented in them... I can get behind the idea of exaggeration in those stories. Bedtime stories to tell the young if they won't behave, those mean ones will come get them in their sleep! Or something.

All in all, I'm intrigued to see what other ideas'll come to light, and here's hoping people that're better with words than me will continue to contribute! (Seriously, though, I'm stoked that you guys contribute to this).
Posted Jan 4, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+109
Aw man, now I'm fascinated. Darnit, Toadie.

*Wiggles and waves arms about* You see why I'm so fascinated by this stuff though?! Something that really pulls me as a writer is the concept that 'Good' cannot exist in a vacuum. You need evil and bad to define good. "Mean" has a definition and an arborial connotation to the people and its society. What kind of bad guy helped to flesh out that ideal of "mean"? Are they still around?

Also, I got to thinking more on the subject and another idea popped in my head: What if "Being mean" meant being different? There is a saying that "The nail that sticks out gets hammered", so what if "Being mean" was dissenting too loudly? Maybe you don't agree with the queen and the way things were and actual civil risings were considered "Mean gatherings". The wars we don't hear about? What if they were just written out of the history as bad aurin being mean? Kind of in the vein of what Kino said about a World War and the winning team defining what "Mean" actually means to the aurin people.
wrote:
I'm not even sure I know where to start anymore, I'm just fascinated with what you guys have managed to come up with. "Arborian World War" has pretty much been successfully overwritten by the slow and ever-present war (though war at this point in time is such a harsh way to describe it) idea.

Nothing that would alarm the queen, just a quiet scuffle between neighboring villages as they compete for resources to survive and exist. About as natural as you can get, I think, in this case. Though smaller, weaker tribes merging with more powerful neighbors also comes to mind. Why continue to fight if you know for sure you won't be able to win? Rather join and be safer, hopefully encouraging the next village your borders touch to do the same.

Aaahhh, I'm sorry if I derailed the thread or anything. I just really love this concept and topic! War is such a broad term and honestly, you could call these micro aggressions and macro aggressions acts of war. The collateral damage that would erupt from even simple resource grabbing could be enough to consider it a tribal war. Also if we consider the ever present or omnipresent resource and survival race a war between tribes, then that could translate to a world war with ease based around your wonderful mention of tribes swallowing other smaller tribes. Now the bigger tribe's enemies are the smaller tribe's enemies too.
"Sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another form of evil."
"To defeat evil.. I shall become a greater form of evil."
Posted Jan 4, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+30
Aaahhh, I'm sorry if I derailed the thread or anything. I just really love this concept and topic!
Derailed? Enhanced is the word you want, I think. Same with everyone else offering up their ideas. Original reason for my starting this was a bit on the selfish side as I was fishing for ideas on the Thornsprouts' place on Arboria and how they would've been viewed in how they handled just about everything, but now... man oh man.

War is such a broad term and honestly, you could call these micro aggressions and macro aggressions acts of war. The collateral damage that would erupt from even simple resource grabbing could be enough to consider it a tribal war. Also if we consider the ever present or omnipresent resource and survival race a war between tribes, then that could translate to a world war with ease based around your wonderful mention of tribes swallowing other smaller tribes. Now the bigger tribe's enemies are the smaller tribe's enemies too.
A slow and steady expansion of tribes, kept in check by both internal forces (such as the matria and her consorts not wanting to spark anything bigger), and external forces (in the form of their larger, stronger neighbours). It's an idea that just sparks something in my head and makes me wonder just how innocent the fuzzy people really are. If nothing else, we already know that not every Aurin listens to the queen, as seen in the Thorns of Arboria staying behind to fight, the Sandthorns splitting off from the Exiles, and even a datachron somewhere in Galeras (I believe) that mentions an Aurin's dissatisfaction with their new home.
Posted Jan 4, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+123
As far as aurin myth about the meaner tribes goes, I've now solidified the 'Bringer' aurin as the mysterious and freaky people of the far north, borrowing from another person's headcanon about Arborian geography and legend I saw on here.

Until they moved back below the tree line and traded with those who didn't hit them with sticks and tell them 'no weirdos allowed'.
Posted Jan 4, 17
Stars:
+30
The more people that can get some benefit from this, the better! Also excuse me as I just think of them as being from beyond the wall.
Posted Jan 5, 17 · OP
Stars:
+2
Can we just take a moment to consider that Aurin are restricted to classes that tend to be "one-shot" dps?

As far as I can tell, this means one of two things.

1) The Aurin are aware of war, have had some in the past, but likely never will again. This is because they gravitate towards brutally efficient murder. This means conflicts would be terrible and quick as they aren't exactly good at defense. Therefore, as a whole, Aurin have adopted an overly polite way of dealing with each other to prevent future conflicts. You would never call another Aurin "bad" or "evil" for fear that this would insult them, and you're off to the assassination wars again.

2) The connection that the nobility has to the Weave exists in all Aurin, but to a lesser extent. Therefore, by virtue of birth, all Aurin are connected by more than just biology. This could create a society where, while there are "mean" people, the planet as a whole would develop a more singular, shared culture. That would lead to the Aurin dialogue being as "hippie" as it is, simply because they would have an actual genetic predisposition to living within communes.

Personally, I prefer the second, merely because it is kind of a terrifying thought. I mean, an entire society of "peace, love, hope" that excels at ripping the faces off things?!? All while the model skips happily along the path! That is awesome, horrifying, glorious, and I need it in my life. lol
Posted Jan 6, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+27
wrote:
Can we just take a moment to consider that Aurin are restricted to classes that tend to be "one-shot" dps?

1) The Aurin are aware of war, have had some in the past, but likely never will again. This is because they gravitate towards brutally efficient murder. This means conflicts would be terrible and quick as they aren't exactly good at defense. Therefore, as a whole, Aurin have adopted an overly polite way of dealing with each other to prevent future conflicts. You would never call another Aurin "bad" or "evil" for fear that this would insult them, and you're off to the assassination wars again.

Can't speak of Aurin as a whole, but that's basically Rowan's strategy. Rapid, efficient, surgically-precise assassination without warning. In a successful fight, his enemy is dead before he/she even knows Rowan is there.
Now with 100% more Tumblr!

Rowan Goldenclaw--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Enzo Riverwend--[ Aurin]--[ Engineer ]
Kaiveryn Darkmoon--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Jaxas Wanderwild--[ Aurin ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Nikita Casimir--[ Mordesh ]--[ Medic ]
Taryn Rustridge--[ Exile Human ]--[ Warrior ]
Sequoia Dreamsong--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Hanniko Fenflourish--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Kethral Bloodraker--[ Draken ]--[ Warrior ]
Diego Sagacitus--[ Cassian ]--[ Esper ]
Zera Firemane--[ Draken ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Connor Versutus--[ Cassian ]--[ Engineer ]
Posted Jan 6, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+30
That idea is a valid one, though even if they were connected to that extent, the planet is still (at least I assume, since no specifics are given) far too large for them all to have the exact same culture and ideals. Of course there are going to be things that overlap because of the connection, but tribes living in harsher environments are going to be harsher in their approach to things out of necessity than those living in more comfortable environments.

As for being incredibly efficient at killing: that'd be something that's brought up in game already, at least in Celestion when you are told to kill animals near hunters to gain reputation. At times the hunters comment that the best kills are the ones that are fast, clean and leaves little to no room for the creature to suffer. This mentality makes a whole lot of sense if you consider their connection again, even more so for those Aurin who happen to be more sensitive to the Weave. Could you imagine slowly killing something if you were to feel all the emotions that creature was feeling at the time? It would be traumatic, to say the least.

Though of course, this would probably differ from individual to individual as well. Some fringe elements might gain some sort of sick thrill from it, or think the act makes them stronger. A bit on the extreme side, but extremists exist everywhere. Sazys, at least, does share the "lightning kill" mentality that would seem to be common among Aurin. Something he picked up during his time as a hunter for his tribe, both since that was what he was taught and because of his (apparent) sensitivity to the Weave.
Posted Jan 6, 17 · OP · Last edited Jan 6, 17
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices