WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

Aurin inter-tribe relations.

29 replies
Stars:
+123
In regards to the weed bit, I now have the source of headcanon it came from. I bolded stuff I found especially relevant.
Valiana wrote:
“The Weed”
This is a concept I came up with in regards to Zai, back when she was not so nice. I extrapolated this based on the aurin's oversimplified morality of 'nice' and 'mean' and figured that this could lead to some pretty awful things if you became known as 'mean'! My idea is that at a certain point, if you just kept being mean and people tried to be nice to you, tried to get you to work with the village and matria, etc and you were just mean down to the bone, you'd be labeled a “Weed”. And what do you do to weeds? You pluck them! So Once you were called a weed, basically you'd be led out into the woods by the village's tenders and guardians, and they'd tie you up and leave you to die, or just kill you or possibly simply banish you from the village. Being called a Weed would be akin to being marked for death. This practice fits perfectly with the fundamentalist ways of Snowvale Village in the North, but might be considered barbaric or monstrous to aurin of more civilized areas.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Stars:
+208
weeds

It sort of makes sense, but then it rubs me the wrong way that their social nuances could be that stilted when the race is practically built around positive socialization. The story might be different in areas that are actually wanting for resources and have a much higher chance of death- but then, that'd only make them more tight-knit when they're relying on others for their survival.

I think banishment is pretty appropriate, though. A Weed would be almost like a Charr Gladius- viewed with contempt and distrust for having no one as family.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Stars:
+123
Yeah, it's the general idea of being shunned/banished/exiled like a wendigo or something that I like the most.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Stars:
+30
So when you think about it, the very fact that aurin have a word for "Mean" shows that they have had dealings with it in the past.

That's definitely what makes me wonder just exactly what that first "mean" thing was that they encountered. For some reason the idea of an Arborian World War just refuses to get out of my head. Victors of the war then pushed their own idea of "Mean is bad!" and thus we have the Aurin we now know and (possibly) love. Over simplified, of course, but it's better than me going off on a ramble.
wrote:
These all also make me wonder if any tribe could've reached the point of thought policing for weeds. Which definitely wouldn't ever be NORMAL, but it'd sure as hell be interesting to have an aurin from that kind of background.

Poor ex-weed, sent to some form of Aurin hug therapy until they stopped frowning and trying to bite people's noses off. It's a scary thought, actually, that thought policing may have been or might even still be a thing, but it also makes sense to some extent.
Yeah, it's the general idea of being shunned/banished/exiled like a wendigo or something that I like the most.

Shunned or exiled (heh) would work better, I think, than killing another Aurin. Or at least it doesn't open those who exacted the punishment to arguments of, "Well, you know... killing people is kind of mean. Maybe we should kill you too, just in case?"
Posted Dec 27, 16 · OP
Stars:
+366
Considering what we know of Aurin culture and society, there's really no reason to believe that wars were likely fought between tribes. Mostly, there just wasn't much reason for such as they lived in a symbiotic state with nature and seem to be, by most accounts, fairly egalitarian in nature.

That said, disputes likely arrived here and there over certain ideologies and practices, or maybe feeling cheated from a deal somehow, but to come to blows seems to require something quite a bit more intense in the realm of conflict.

Could there have been something very early on? It's possible, but that seems to be a nearly forgotten memory if it did.
XDdjSto.png
Posted Dec 29, 16
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+123
New thought: maybe ill feelings between matrias could have influence, if they're not above such things.

Personal grudges are an interesting thought for me.
Posted Dec 30, 16
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+30
wrote:
...disputes likely arrived here and there over certain ideologies and practices, or maybe feeling cheated from a deal somehow, but to come to blows seems to require something quite a bit more intense in the realm of conflict.

Could there have been something very early on? It's possible, but that seems to be a nearly forgotten memory if it did.
That would be more or less what I expected, early wars maybe, but then less and less as they grew closer to the nature around them. Just thought that their ability to fight other races must've come from somewhere, and hunting animals only goes so far to prepare them for that. As for personal scuffles... they're to be expected in any race, I think, just with how they handle it being different.

New thought: maybe ill feelings between matrias could have influence, if they're not above such things.

Personal grudges are an interesting thought for me.
I wouldn't be too surprised with that, really. Most likely would depend on what happened to cause the ill feelings, as well as how highly the tribe happens to view their own matria.

I giggle at the thought of entire tribes refusing to talk to each other, like huffy kids after an argument.
Posted Dec 31, 16 · OP
Stars:
+109
OH BOY, this is a cool thought! We kinda delved into the idea for the Direbog since you can't discount that disagreements will happen. Wars? Maybe not, but silent rivalries and underground skirmishes seem perfectly reasonable since trees themselves do it with root wars.

As for our tribal lore stuff: The Direbog took over a rather hostile deep swamp. The nature of the group as tricksters and party-goers makes their actions seem friendly and open, yet deadly behind the scenes. We have a group of guards that use willowisps to lure trespassers in and get them lost. The backstory of the tribe has them casually drowning those that would step in their swamps when visitors were unwanted. No real concern just, "They got lost, and we decided that it wasn't fun to lead them out."

I'm pretty sure that mentality like that would gain them some enemies from aurin who don't live in their neck of the woods. Border wars, skirmishes between territories, and hunting ground rights were probably some of the bigger factors behind any silent wars between groups. Trees do it all the time as they race to out compete the other trees and blot out the sun, or wrap around the trunk of another to strangle them back down. There is a war going on out there, it's just very slow and very quiet.
"Sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another form of evil."
"To defeat evil.. I shall become a greater form of evil."
Posted Jan 2, 17
Stars:
+366
The thing to reconcile here is that every Matria is technically linked with the Queen via the Weave, on Arboria that is, she has the ability to know everything that is going on and react. Disputes of larger nature would be solved in a relatively quick manner I'd imagine. Of course, that would be in the seemingly rare cases that they would happen. What cause would a group have?
Official Lore wrote:
Not only could she now learn from the tree's vast store of knowledge, her bond also allowed her to connect with the other forests of Arboria, and thus to the matrias of all the disparate Aurin tribes.
XDdjSto.png
Posted Jan 3, 17 · Last edited Jan 3, 17
Stars:
+109
Well, one major factor in the taming of Arboria would be the fact that a single Queen would not have the capacity to be omniscient. Unless we are likening aurin to bees or ants [and I'm not discounting that idea cause holy shit that's a concept and a half!] large scale wars would be put to rest, but silent turf wars aren't loud enough. Slow creeping crawls where another group tries to push rivals from choice hunting grounds or fertile soil could be as innocuous as "Accidents keep happening near this territory." There is also the thought that perhaps the two groups don't want the Queen's involvement. Just because she can connect, the lore doesn't directly say she could command by force. It's the difference between surveillance of her people and straight up mind control.

The 'why would they' is easier, because there is a catalyst to turf war that exists no matter what universe you want to explore and that would be: Group A needs the resources that Group B is abundant in and they don't want to pay for it. Sure, we could say that the Queen demands the resource split evenly or trade be force between the two tribes, but don't you think that would breed animosity somewhere? I'm not saying aurin are human or rely on human concepts, but if we remove the human component altogether we still have the potential for rivalries based around resource management.

Completely discounting resource rivalries, since it's very easy to just say the aurin people didn't understand ownership of the land, there is still the factor of being 'mean'. If you were to list everything you thought was mean, and I listed everything I thought was mean I guarantee you that our lists would not be the same. Take that in to account and you will have groups that don't agree with punishments handed down to fix problems. We might also be able to jump to the conclusion that there could have easily been aurin who were "mean" but it was a way of life for them. Whole tribes functioning off things like bad attitudes or harsher ideals. Do we say that the Queen marches wholesale to slaughter the tribe? We could [and that opens a whole other can of worms to discuss!]... Or we could accept that sometimes if we leave these pockets of 'mean aurin' alone, no one gets hurt.

Now we have the concept of border patrol. Keep the bad in its place and the good can flourish. This is a silent war, and an on going war that might never end. [At least not until Arboria gets demolished.] The Queen set the war in motion. Now the bad will push its boundaries, and the good aurin must rally to stand against those who would seek to push out of their stinking mires, desert wastes, or deep dark caverns. Perhaps these aurin were victims of misunderstandings and they aren't as mean as fables would have you believe? Now we have compounding issues and even more reason for things like silent wars and territory expansion. Think of the lore, the folktales, and the myths that such long lasting misunderstandings could bring about. I know I am!

Sorry this was so long. I just really love this sort of world building, social development, and understanding of a seemingly alien people.
"Sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another form of evil."
"To defeat evil.. I shall become a greater form of evil."
Posted Jan 4, 17
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices