WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

Aurin inter-tribe relations.

29 replies
Stars:
+30
So as the name says, this is a thread about that. As I'm scribbling on ideas for the tribes of my doofus, this thought came up. Chances are headcanons will differ, but that just makes me want to throw the questions out there even more.

Would tribes have fought skirmishes or even wars over resources or territory? Would there have been feuds, minor or major? Or was Arboria some sort of peaceful utopia, with war only coming to the Aurin once the Ravaging started?

Not sure if this'll rustle anyone's jimmies, or if it's been asked before, but hey! I'm curious. Also as a sidenote: it'd be great to know how the different players' tribes get along. Thanks in advance for replies and the reading of the rambley... rambly... yeah, that word... writing!
Posted Dec 25, 16 · OP
Stars:
+123
I like to think that in friendly cases, most aurin villages would welcome visitors and be excellent hosts. So long as said guests didn't take advantage of their kindness without regard for their host tribe's traditions or rules.

I do wonder how far others traveled from their biomes.
Posted Dec 25, 16
Stars:
+208
Oh goodness, I have a lot of thoughts on this.

My general opinion on the majority of Aurin is that, prior to the arrival of the Exiles, there was little to no violent conflict between Aurin. This is a planet where "being mean" was a crime in many societies, probably punishable by hug if the npc dialogue is any indication. This isn't to say they had no concept of violence-they developed primitive weaponry, but I imagine the majority was refined for hunting purposes.

Where I dip into headcanon is in biomes that are not of the great 6 forest types. The Weave is what pushed the various subspecies of Aurin towards a convergent development, and I think areas without a stronger Weave influence would be more likely to employ violent tactics towards one another.

Otherwise, we see Aurin being an incredibly accepting and hospitable race, and I see that being strongest towards their own species.

can you tell I think about aurin too much
Posted Dec 25, 16
Stars:
+123
wrote:
This is a planet where "being mean" was a crime in many societies, probably punishable by hug if the npc dialogue is any indication.

I swear I read something somewhere about mean people being dubbed "weeds" and being tied to a tree to die or something alone in the woods. It was probably a headcanon but I guess it depends on the severity of the crime.
Posted Dec 25, 16
Stars:
+30
That would pretty much be what I thought, on both accounts. No real violence or unrest before the Exiles and Dominion showed up to the party. Though the idea of some tribes being a touch more territorial or willing to fight if they feel something of theirs is in danger of being taken away does still appeal to me... and thinking about aurin too much? No such thing! I love hearing people's takes on lore and general behaviours of characters/races.

As for the "weed" thing... I'm willing to believe it was different for each tribe, what they might see as a serious enough offense for that and what they might regard as "mean."
Posted Dec 25, 16 · OP
Stars:
+123
It's actually on a headcanon thread on this site, but I can't recall which one.

No such thing as thinking too much about aurin. I need more fuzzies in my life.
Posted Dec 25, 16
Stars:
+30
I need to go digging at some point, then. Admittedly getting my lazy self to do that is easier said than done.
Posted Dec 26, 16 · OP
Stars:
+208
The best thing I've really run into about Aurin is just because of the ways a clan could be isolated from others, it's extremely easy to headcanon whatever you want for your own tribe and claim it's simply an outlier or odd behavior if it doesn't fit the norm. It's an entire planet's worth of cultural diversity, after all.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Stars:
+153
There are 'mean' aurin. You can look around in one and find a little lore in the early zones about a mean aurin who was accussed of ear clipping and other really mean things in a datachron lore. And, if I remember right, they were called a Weed.

So when you think about it, the very fact that aurin have a word for "Mean" shows that they have had dealings with it in the past.

In Carbine's lore, I can't remember any mention of inter-tribe wars or wars at all between aurin. Though I can see how different tribes would view things differently. For example: One tribe may believe in trimming limbs from trees so they can grow better. Another tribe might consider that harmful to the tree. Akin to chopping off an arm. Another tribe would say it's okay to remove an arm if it's infected and going to kill you anyway. And so on.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Stars:
+208
So when you think about it, the very fact that aurin have a word for "Mean" shows that they have had dealings with it in the past.

That's a really good point, and a lore entry I hadn't seen before. The fact that one aurin exists, and that aurin have already done a remarkable job of adapting to the more "brutal" methods of the Exiles does make me wonder if they already had an underlying penchant- or if he's an extreme anomaly and aurin are just adaptable.
wrote:
As for the "weed" thing... I'm willing to believe it was different for each tribe, what they might see as a serious enough offense for that and what they might regard as "mean."

These all also make me wonder if any tribe could've reached the point of thought policing for weeds. Which definitely wouldn't ever be NORMAL, but it'd sure as hell be interesting to have an aurin from that kind of background.
Posted Dec 26, 16
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices