WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 2

Yes, More Aurin Lore Questions and Theories.

10 replies
Stars:
+33
So here I am writing backstory for one of my Aurin characters and I've hit several areas where I'm iffy on. the things I'm hitting on may have been covered elsewhere but I'd like a few clarifications.

First of all and probably the most important one is if there would ever be a reason that a distant village could be considered "isolated." What I mean by isolation, is pretty much its definition. A small village of maybe 30 Aurin who don't have very good contact with the rest of the world, perhaps because they get forgotten or there's a gap where the silva don't communicate past etc. Weave portals seem to counter this isolationism very well though from what I've read so perhaps the matria in charge could potentially not be strong enough to hold one open for long enough to relay a message. I can't really think of a reason why a matria would keep a secret from her village so I'm probably not going to use that. More than likely I'm going to go with the current matria not being strong enough unless someone comes up with a better idea.

The second issue that I'm running into is the 2 years that the reaping is taking place. There's a couple discrepancies in the lore that make it hard to believe that either, Arboria is huge and the Dominion can't harvest it all within the what was it? 10 or so years they've had to eat up (let alone the original 2 years while aurin are still on the planet) everything when 3 continents take only a week? Or the dominion is harvesting a lot less than what Mondo was estimating. My guess is the latter and I'll probably incorporate that into my story until the lore team gets time to make some corrections to their pages rather than having the characters walk around in the aftermath for a year, 11 months 2 weeks and a day. (give or take for the specific solar cycle of Arboria and its rotational speed.)

Last thing on the docket, is the size of the planet reapers. I remember a little snippet from somewhere saying that the reapers were mile long doomsday tools. Since then I haven't been able to find that quote and being on a work computer a lot of sources are blocked. In any case, I'd like a little bit of what other people interpreted them as because I like a little bit of continuity between stories in the same lore. As of now, I see them as maybe a quarter mile wide at most as Arwick's story has me lead to believe due to the obvious lack of a back up system to keep the doomsday train rolling.

Correct me if I have any false or misinformed info and feel free to drop ideas.
Posted Dec 1, 16 · OP
Stars:
+27
I think the solution to the 'weave portal dilemma' could be as simple as conceptualizing that the village is isolated by choice. There's no need to try to make excuses why the matria can't open a weave portal when you could just as easily say she won't, and the reason why could be something that you leverage in your character's backstory and use to influence RP with other aurin.

Regarding the ravaging of Arboria, all information I've seen pertaining to that suggests that it's still an ongoing process. There are supposedly some surviving aurin still on the planet; not all of them were able to be evacuated.

I dunno much about the planet reapers, but I'm interested in this Arwick story you mention. Where can I read that?
Now with 100% more Tumblr!

Rowan Goldenclaw--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Enzo Riverwend--[ Aurin]--[ Engineer ]
Kaiveryn Darkmoon--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Jaxas Wanderwild--[ Aurin ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Nikita Casimir--[ Mordesh ]--[ Medic ]
Taryn Rustridge--[ Exile Human ]--[ Warrior ]
Sequoia Dreamsong--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Hanniko Fenflourish--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Kethral Bloodraker--[ Draken ]--[ Warrior ]
Diego Sagacitus--[ Cassian ]--[ Esper ]
Zera Firemane--[ Draken ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Connor Versutus--[ Cassian ]--[ Engineer ]
Posted Dec 1, 16 · Last edited Dec 1, 16
Stars:
+33
Interesting point about the just choosing isolation. I just struggle to find a reason that the village may not know about the recent visits from another world aside from seeing the spacecraft flying overhead. 16 years of that is a long time to go without knowing.

As for the ravaging information, that's the impression I have as well. I'd like to believe the dominion has a heart to ease up and not completely deface the planet, perhaps using the areas they've already cleared to regrow and cultivate, since the soil is "Too rich to build factories on." in Mondo's words, and leave whatever remains as more of a dangerously hostile nature preserve.
Posted Dec 1, 16 · OP
Stars:
+33
Arwick's story is up on one of the dev posts. If I'm not mistaken, this is the link, but I'm not sure since it's blocked by my work computers.
[ https://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/stories/ravaging-of-arboria.html ]
Posted Dec 1, 16 · OP · Last edited Dec 1, 16
Stars:
+13
Being a Dominion main, I figure I would point at the fact that Chua (so far as we know) don't give a lick about growing crops or anything naturey at all (hence why chua and aurin are very diametrically opposed). If they believed the soil was very rich, they would find a way to extract said nutrients using science and then probably use said nutrients to make some form of fertilizer bomb. It is said that the Chua decimated their homeworld in 100 years so badly that the primary reason they joined the Dominion was because they needed the resources of the empire for technological expansion.

Hence, I don't see why the chua would take their foot off the metaphorical gas petal unless the Dominion government stepped in and stopped them, which, given that the government doesn't appear to have given any thought to the Aurin stuck on the planet (that we know of), and seems to have at this point simply written off the species as Exile sympathizers, I doubt will happen.

As for planet reaper size/the Reaping of Arboria, The quote from Mondo says that the continents had been defoliated, but he also says that the soil is very rich and has plenty of minerals, and that they don't know how deep down the useful mineral layers go. It's possible that at this point most or all of the planet has been cleared and has been given over to deep mining operations, where the Planet Reapers might not even be used anymore, or would have to be changed from the form the aurin would now be familiar with, into some kind of deep drilling platform.
Do the evil believe themselves to be evil?
Posted Dec 2, 16
Stars:
+33
I like to believe that the dominion isn't leaving the entire planet just to the Chua but I do see how it could have happened that way. A heavy push from Chua interests could have certainly doomed Arboria's every corner.
If habitable planets are as rare as the devs have suggested in the past I have a hard time believing that the cassians wouldn't want to try and establish a settlement on arboria. For the Draken, its a brand new hunting ground with a, more or less, worthy opponent, the Chua get the minerals for their industry. Something for everyone is there so an all out destruction just seems illogical for the entire planet to just be handed off to one of the 3 settling races (Unless the mechari want to set up another foundry on arboria which I don't even know if that's possible without the eldan to build it for them.)
Anyways, more what I'm looking for is a base description of the planet reapers. I may have gone off topic a bit while I was writing the original post.
Posted Dec 2, 16 · OP
Stars:
+110
It's been confirmed multiple times by the devs that Arboris is /actively/ being scoured by the Ravagers. It's not a place to live, it's being burned like kindling for a furnace.
Posted Dec 3, 16
Stars:
+13
I think the important point with the Planet Reapers is that they are really big, scour pretty everything in their path clear of all useful resources, and apparently also create their own fuel (based on what they suck up). So basically, something the size of a RL stadium that is a self-propelling Hoover vacuum. The only actual picture we have is on the Reaping of Arboria Lore page. I think we can infer it would be something like this though:

8bd4713fb0fb517ee12b790dfcfd2ecd.jpg

But maybe a big bigger and more chua-y
Do the evil believe themselves to be evil?
Posted Dec 3, 16
Stars:
+123
That is absolutely horrifying.
Posted Dec 3, 16
Stars:
+33
Alrighty then, that scratches that off the list. But alright, if the Devs say it's still ongoing that's their decision. I do like that image for the base of a reaper and I've got a couple ideas of how I can describe it now.
Now, just have to implement it into the story when I get there.
Posted Dec 4, 16 · OP
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices