WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

Magic in Wildstar

26 replies
Stars:
+82
There's actually nothing I see on the wiki that says espers use the primal energies. Espers train rigorously to master the energies of the mind. They look introspectively for their power rather than interacting with the world around them. Their energy source is their own mind. So while you may have a character who does what you say, it would be unrelated to Esper training and probably due to some influence of Primal Life or some other type of Primal interaction
1454042423.jpeg
Tc1b2jY.jpg
Posted Aug 5, 16
Stars:
+10
wrote:
Well, the concept of said character is completely standard in terms of his Espernetic manifestation/manipulation capabilities. The idea is that he's a blind seer who can sense the primal forces and elements, and uses that sense as a substitute for eyesight. So all that's really required to support the concept is that Espers have the potential to perceive them, which seems to be compliant with the lore.

I have an Esper who's losing his sight; he uses the Espers' empathic abilities to feel the placement of others and create a mental image of the room in his head. It's probably not as useful for a character whose sight has been completely lost, but it's pretty fun c:
Posted Aug 5, 16
Stars:
+27
One of the in-game lore entries Ira posted a few posts up does explicitly describe Espers as being part of a group that can control primal powers, though.

Realistically, it's not necessary for the character to work - I could explain that away as being unrelated to his Espernetic abilities. But it'd be more cohesive if they were tied together.

I was thinking of a backstory wherein the ship carrying his cryo-pod crash-landed on Nexus in an area rich with primal life and to a lesser extent the other powers as well, and thus he became infused with them while healing from his injuries, which led to the capability.
Now with 100% more Tumblr!

Rowan Goldenclaw--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Enzo Riverwend--[ Aurin]--[ Engineer ]
Kaiveryn Darkmoon--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Jaxas Wanderwild--[ Aurin ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Nikita Casimir--[ Mordesh ]--[ Medic ]
Taryn Rustridge--[ Exile Human ]--[ Warrior ]
Sequoia Dreamsong--[ Aurin ]--[ Esper ]
Hanniko Fenflourish--[ Aurin ]--[ Stalker ]
Kethral Bloodraker--[ Draken ]--[ Warrior ]
Diego Sagacitus--[ Cassian ]--[ Esper ]
Zera Firemane--[ Draken ]--[ Spellslinger ]
Connor Versutus--[ Cassian ]--[ Engineer ]
Posted Aug 5, 16 · Last edited Aug 5, 16
ShadowedSin Benefactor
Stars:
+606
Allo!

If your Epser is blind then yes they could likely sense emotions, but that still leaves them blind. They are still unable to actually tell distance and much more. You could have them use some sort of sound device that perhaps gives them a sense of distance. Or you have them create constructs to act a bit of a walking cane to sense where things are.

However magic, cannot replace what was lost.
Space Opera, Mecha, Psionic-Techno / Magic, Planetary / Courtly Politics
lits_banner_2_by_catsohori-d89aoll.png
Project Blog | Features List
Release Date: 2017

Links to check out:
[ Human / Cassian Lore Compendium ] | [ Racial Lore Guides ] | [ Class Lore Guides ]
Posted Aug 5, 16
Stars:
+82
Upon further discussion, I can confirm for a fact that Espers are not able to use telepathy, mind control, or telekinesis. They do not possess clairvoyance, or any other standard "psychic" powers.

Espers -are- able to control primal elements, but these elements they control come in a very specific form- Primal Life and Logic that creates brain power. All people have this combination of Life and Logic powering their minds, but not every race has the ability to access this power. This is what Espers are trained to do.

As Esper is not an Evoker- Espers cannot conjure fireballs or levitate items at will. No, Espers learn to master their brain energy that is made of Life and Logic into physical forms. They call these constructs illusions, but they are far from mirages- an Espers illusions are very much there. It is no mind trick.

One of the biggest things to note here is that Espers do not draw their power form an outside source. They are not trained to be sensitive to the world around them in the way Aurin are from birth. Instead they are trained to have absolute focus on their inner mind. They are self-sufficient and limited not by the world around them but by the standard capabilities of the brain's energy output.

You also need to note that Esper is a trained profession. The best candidate for becoming an Esper is a logical, left-brained person. Espers are not trained to have psychic powers. If you character has abilities like you'd expect coming from an Alakazam, then those abilities are due to some other source and -not- due to Espernetics training. Espernetics is a science, not a mystical craft. If you want environmental and primal sensitivity, I suggest rolling Aurin or Draken; both having cultural ties to magic in the world around them, or Mechari; who may be programmed to scan for primal concentrations. You could even have a scanbot that assists you.
It isn't impossible for other races to have primal sensitivity and do what your character does, but it is -not- Espernetics. It is some other source of power.
1454042423.jpeg
Tc1b2jY.jpg
Posted Aug 15, 16 · Last edited Aug 15, 16
Stars:
+27
Thanks to all who have given their input on my blind Esper concept; I think I have a pretty good idea for how to make it work now - it's sort of a delicate balancing act between an Esper's connection to life and logic, an Aurin's connection to the world at large, and a healthy dose of reverse-engineered Eldan infusion and augmentation technology. Sort of a perfect storm of contributing factors.

I envision the 'sense' as being not like actual sight (so basically, not like Neo looking at the Matrix with primal elements substituted for 1s and 0s), but more like proprioception - it's not that the character "sees" the elements, but simply has an awareness of their presence that allows him to know where things are. There are lots of limitations to this; for instance; he wouldn't be able to discern orientation of an object, so he couldn't tell which way a gun is aiming until it fires. And I feel as if he'd have a special weakness to elementals, since they would overwhelm this sense in the same way that looking directly at the sun will wreck your vision.

Anyway, I'll continue to refine him as the inspiration strikes, until he's ready to RP (the Eldan tech portion of his backstory will be dependent on Enzo developing the required hardware, so I need to do a ton of work on the workshop in his skyplot before I can put it into effect).

Posted Aug 15, 16 · Last edited Aug 15, 16
Stars:
+82
This all seems fine. I also had the odd idea of "What if your character's ability to see what trapped in the Void, and while your complete body walks in the real world, you can only see the lifeless void. You can sense everything around you, but only see the void version of the world with your eyes. It becomes interesting because if someone enters the void around you, you can see them."
1454042423.jpeg
Tc1b2jY.jpg
Posted Aug 15, 16
Stars:
+27
I should also apologize for completely derailing the thread, and allow it to get back on-topic.

Can we all agree that Wildstar "magic" basically refers to any non-technological means of manipulating the primal powers? :p

Posted Aug 15, 16
Stars:
+4
My Mordesh also possesses magical abilities he learned how to use from the priests back in Grismara. As the Loremageddon states, they strove to manipulate the six primal elements as they believed Kemos did. I am going to link whhat I have written about it. It's a headcanon, but I believe is very plausible.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cy7lYLcjJ2giK7lhyKwXZ8estvza5IHbK2weyqXazrk/edit?usp=sharing
Posted Aug 15, 16 · OP · Last edited Aug 15, 16
Stars:
+82
Actually science is a product of Primal Logic, and can be considered a form a magic as well!
1454042423.jpeg
Tc1b2jY.jpg
Posted Aug 15, 16
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices