WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

[Open] [Exile] Irregular Maintenance

8 replies
Stars:
+15
Kitthen sat alone cross legged in the dirt not far from the hustle and bustle of Fortune's Ground. There was a frustrated scowl spread across her usually chipper face as she tinkered with the high tech prosthetic resting on her lap. The dark skinned Aurin's hands were buried deep within the side of her prosthesis occasionally dipping into the tool box laying next to her empty boot. She let out a frustrated sigh and wiped her brow, unknowingly leaving a streak of black grease across freckled forehead and quickly got back to work. With a loud thunk some bit of machinery in the leg whirred to life. Bits of the piece of machinery began to glow a soft blue before flickering and going out once more.

"GAH! Stupid thing!"

Kitthen shook her prosthetic causing it's foot to wiggle lazily from side to side.
Posted Jul 6, 16 · OP
Stars:
+18
Warren walked through Fortune's Ground hugging a large box. His favourite cardboard box, filled to the brim with gadgets, widgets, and most of all, all the weapons he could fit inside it. The bustle of today's market stalls were what brought Warren to Thayd today. He was on a mission. To get the best deals for all the scrap he was haulin'. And hopefully find something good in all this chaos.

Weaving in and out of the alleys, dodging the crowds and avoiding the Protostar booths was something Warren had down to a sport. Ducking under the flailing arms of a large Granok who was obviously getting a bad deal for whatever he was trying to sell. A young Aurin sitting in the dirt in the corner of his eye. Dumb spot to sit, he thought to himself.

Suddenly, and without warning something hard smacked against the back of his head. He froze, and quickly looked down at what hit him, a sprocket. Warren spun on his heals and spotted the little Aurin flailing the crude item she held in her hands and cursing the stars for her misfortune.

"Hey!" He shouted across the dirt patch. Peering over the large box in his hands. "You hit me!"
bnJ4Uey.png
Posted Jul 6, 16 · Last edited Jul 6, 16
Stars:
+15
The little mechanic stopped throttling her prosthetic momentarily. Some guy was shouting at her. He looked ridiculous with that massive box in his arms. What was he shouting? Something about her hitting him?

"How could I have hit you! I'm all the way over here genius!"

"Ugh some people" Kitthen thought to herself before getting back to work. She really really needed to figure out what was wrong with this damn thing otherwise it was just a glorified peg leg. Not a very good one at that. Nothing seemed to be working. Maybe she was missing a piece? Kitthen pulled up the legs blue-print on her datachron. Maybe she could find what was missing on there.

((OOC Sorry this is kinda short)
Posted Jul 6, 16 · OP
Stars:
+18
The nerve of some Aurin! Warren fumed. He then pushed his box under one arm and plucked the sprocket from the dirt, and marched towards the Aurin. "This. This piece of metal flew off that thing you're waggling about and hit me in the head!" Warren near shouted. Waving the metal sprocket in her direction before flicking it back into her lap.

The image on the datachron caught his eye, and his curiosity. What kind of tech could an Aurin possibly be working on? "What ya workin' on anyway?" he asked. "Look at it. It's no more than a hunk of scrap," he egged. "Did you even think to try powering it?" he egged again. By now he was standing directly over her. His eyes darting back-and-forth from the datachron to whatever was in her hands.

[Short and sweet is ok with me. Better than a short story spanning a few hours in one post.]
bnJ4Uey.png
Posted Jul 6, 16 · Last edited Jul 6, 16
Stars:
+15
"Scrap? This is my leg asshole!"

The little Aurin was fuming. Who did this guy think he was? Insulting a cripple like that. She rolled up her pant leg to reveal a stump just below her knee that was capped with a sort of metal plug. The skin and flesh above the cap was very badly scarred.

"See?"

The prosthetic resting in her lap definitely didn't look like much. Kitthen had stripped it of it's carbon fibre plating so that it would be a little easier to work on. Really though it was pretty advanced for something built by an Aurin. It was could read impulses from her nerves letting her move the foot and toes almost like a real leg.

"And it doesn't turn on. It should always be on. It's off right now for some reason."

Kitthen turned her attention back to her work. She plucked the sprocket off her lap and carefully slid it back in place, checking her datachron to make sure it was in the right spot.
Posted Jul 6, 16 · OP
Stars:
+18
Warren stared at the capped stump with an expressionless stare for a moment. Unfazed by what others might consider a grotesque sight.

"Ok." he said. Drawn out and sarcastic, but with a laugh. "What I meant was, did ya think maybe the power supply's wrecked?" Warren looked at the Aurin. "You been doin' any strenuous or dangerous activities lately? Maybe the scrap took a bad hit."

Warren rummaged through his box for a moment before pulling out what might be a compatible power supply. "Try this." he said, handing her the fist-sized object.

[Did you try turning it off and back on again?]
bnJ4Uey.png
Posted Jul 7, 16 · Last edited Jul 7, 16
Stars:
+15
"No I haven't been doing anything strenuous."

Kitthen's voice was dripping with sass. She was already frustrated enough as it is. The last thing she needed was some know it all human telling her how to repair her own damn leg.

"And stop calling this scrap okay! It's based of a Desh design for gods sake."

The Aurin waved her leg around as she spoke as if to accent what she was saying.

"Asides the power core I used is one of a-"

Kitthen stopped herself and eyed the object the human was holding out to her. She snatched it out of his hands, pried out the old power core with a screwdriver, and snapped the new one into place. The machine whirred to life once more and began giving off a soft blue glow. Kitthen sighed in defeat and pointed at Warren with her screwdriver.

"This means nothing. Got it?"
Posted Jul 7, 16 · OP
Stars:
+18
Warren simply grinned.

"You owe me for that." He said, pointing to the leg. "I accept payment in the form of cold hard cash, or drinks."
bnJ4Uey.png
Posted Jul 7, 16
Stars:
+15
Kitthen snapped the carbon fiber plates back into place and re attached her leg.

"Pff you junkers are all the same."

The Aurin rose to her feet and blew a curl of orange hair out of her face. She looked the human up and down considering his offer. Drinks would be considerably cheaper than buying a power core like that.

"Fine then. Drinks it is."
Posted Jul 8, 16 · OP
NoticeNotices