WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

Carbine Faction Barrier Post!

9 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/150391-devconnect-faction-barrier/page-1

So Pappy made the above post, looking for thoughts on the faction system in the game - they appear to be actively considering dropping it. This seemed important enough to a lot of us for me to throw it in here if anyone wants to chime in!
Posted Mar 17, 16 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+102
I would really love to be able to RP with Dominion as an Exile.

I dont think I'd like it if Dominion and Exile fused into one single faction, though.
dQqghQJ.jpg
Posted Mar 17, 16
Stars:
+15
I've been the fan of having optional factions myself harkoning back to the Star Wars Galaxies days . Two main factions but everyone starts off neutral.
Posted Mar 18, 16
Stars:
+153
I don't think it would be possible in Wildstar to justify starting off neutral. Mostly because of the intricate lore between the different races. However, I could see it making lore sense to become neutral towards endgame as Exile and Dominion call a truce and unite against something scarier like the Strain ((Or Rampaging Osun or Sinister Ikthians or the Return of the Megadroids and so on.)).

For the faction barrier? It would be neat to impliment cross-faction housing. Exiles can visit Dominion plots and vice versa. Still, with pvp flagging, so people could make entire pvp arenas like on their plot, though that would diminish the arena and battlegrounds more than they already are. The only way to stop people from just farming each other for pvp would be either cooldown on prestige from defeating someone or not allowing prestige to be awarded on housing plots. It would really open up more RP and story chances though.
Posted Mar 18, 16 · Last edited Mar 18, 16
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2
Rather then complete removal, they could add a system that allows you to do either PvE or PvP with the opposit faction, how ever, do that too many times and you will suffer a consequence.

Maybe the price for repairs is doubles, maybe every now and then a guard throws a tomato at you, maybe some dominion/exile specific items are out of your reach. Or just get flagged for pvp with your own faction for a few hours. That'll teach them.
I don't like the idea of just cutting the barries in a game where the story is all the more fun because of it, sure it has its problems, but from my experience I prefer it over a huge mob of players united on one side, in the long run that system ends up feeling devoided of that simple spark of animosity.
I could make a few exemples but I'd rather not point fingers.

There's good mechanics and good stories in the "Us vs Them". If anything, I'd like it to see it being elaborated.
Hell, if it was for me I'd drop two War Plots on two sides of a bigger world map and have events and dailys missions in the area.

The only thing I'd like to be dropped is the language barrier, with the mods is pretty much useless anyway. And maybe the plot too, for cross faction rp. Borealis would LOVE to knock at some exile's door.
With a sledge-hammer.
Posted Mar 18, 16 · Last edited Mar 18, 16
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Based on the thread so far, it appears most of the players are in agreement on keep up barriers, but allow xfac instancing (PvE grouping), housing, and one chat channel which is good.

I think it's important to state also that messing with the faction barries is not a "We have them" or "We don't have them". There are ways of maintaining them in lore while softening them in game mechanics.
Posted Mar 18, 16 · OP
Stars:
+34
I highly doubt you can expect anything extremely huge at the present time. DevConnect is a lot of testing the waters before moving forward with plans. If we expect anything, don't expect news or info until at least Fall or Winter. This is a pretty big change.

I'd only like to see instanced content made available for both factions, PvE content(dungeons, expeditions, maybe raids?), PvP content(battlegrounds, arenas, etc), and housing. Maybe have the ability to just directly speak to the opposite faction, work with them, add them as friends, etc. Even sending mail between the two factions would be great. Keep the barrier but tone down the level of isolation between the two.

I wouldn't expect just completely neutral standings between the two where we can join each others guilds and such. That takes A LOT of work while also considering how deeply grounded the faction warfare is. How do we go about the cities? Will there be a neutral one? What about going into the opposite factions towns and city? What about quests? Guilds? Raiding? What about the purpose in lore? We can't all just be CoGS so suddenly.

It's a ton of questions that, to that scale, we can't expect anything less than half a year at least to design and implement. Lifting a lot of communication and instanced limitations is the most viable and quickest at this point and neither party will argue it ruins the experience of two factions.
Posted Mar 19, 16 · Last edited Mar 19, 16
Stars:
+147
I came from Rift before coming to WS and they did just that - removed the faction barriers. It didn't really change much lore-wise, as the story remained unchanged but as you progress, you do realize there is a bigger fish to fry than the opposite faction. What the drop of the barrier meant was mostly game mechanics, allowing people to group for dungeons, which was very appreciated as it doubled the amount of player queueing for them. And of course to be able to talk to cross faction was fun for rp. But the opposite faction's quest hubs and main town were still off limit, as it should be, and it was fine. So I really only see positive from such a move.
Posted Mar 19, 16
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+153
The Idea of dropping two warplots in open world and Carbine saying "Okay, go have fun." Does sound like it would be interesting. They could even call it "Battle for Whitevale" or "Battle for Insert Zone here" and if your faction wins that battle that certain week, there is some kind of faction bonus for that week. Both in that zone, and globally.

For the language barrier mentioned above too? I kind of think it was silly to ever include that. Given how open Carbine is on addons, there never really has been a faction language barrier since addons easily remove it and has done so since shortly after launch.

Dropping a faction barrier for instances also has so many bonuses. Expeditions and dungeons and raids for sure. However, in some cases it wouldn't translate as well. Some adventures like Hycrest for example are faction linked in lore. Though, I guess you could ignore it as a Caretaker Simulation because the Caretaker got bored. Likewise, some expeditions like Gauntlet seem custom made for cross-faction. No barriers also means more people available to both sides to join with on them. However, we know that Arcterra has a faction specific instance that can only gain access to if your faction wins the zone event. How would that translate?

Overall, it seems like an opinion of "Keep Faction Barriers, but weaken them." People have already mentioned cross-faction instances ((for PvE)) and housing. Those seem to be the two main things?
Posted Mar 19, 16
Stars:
+65
The warplot thing sounds a lot like what WoW did in TBC, with having the various points in each zone "capture able" by players and the faction who holds them gets a bonus. I personally liked Halaa in Nagrand, where the only way to interact with the NPCs was to hold the village. I didn't really like the mechanics (bombing), but replacing that with a spawned world boss (based on faction possession), and a combination of NPCs and Players to defend the town would be a better option.

Regarding the actual removal of the faction divide I think it would be easy to accomplish via reputations mechanics. Bring in a neutral faction and associated neutral hubs through out the world. As a player gains reputation with that neutral faction they gain access to quests and content that also allow them to gain access with the opposite faction.

For example, you could go to the neutral hub (something like WoW's shattrath) and do quests for that faction. Once you get to a certain rep level you gain the ability to que for cross faction dungeons. Complete the cross faction dungeon and gain reputation with the opposite faction.

Once you gain sufficient reputation with the opposite faction the NPCs in some locations turn neutral to you. You wouldn't see a Draken walk right up to Thayd's gates and stroll in, but in the outer fringes, away from the faction capital the guards and NPCs would be come neutral, and in turn, open more quests that, in turn, would gain more reputation until the particular Draken is so well regarded that they are welcomed in Thayd.

Carbine could add in a bunch of different cosmetic gear vendors, mounts, dies, titles, and whatnot that could be accessed only via cross faction reputation and be locked to that character. Thus, a Granok decked out in full Dominion Imperial Legion looking gear, only obtained once they reached a certain cross faction level, would be a sight to behold because of how unique and challenging it would to obtain. Get to a certain level and the player could even be presented with a unique choice: Total Defection. Give up your original faction (lose rep and get set to hated) in order to be able to achieve full exhausted with the other (sorry, using wow terms by default).

There would be a bunch of back end programming to accomplish, having different sub-factions within a faction (so some guards would be neutral while others would be hostile until a set level is achieved), and there would have to be sufficient reward for a player to want to work on cross faction rep, but not so over powered that everyone defects to other faction in order to gain the best ilvl gear.
Posted Mar 25, 16
NoticeNotices