WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 4

WSRP Chat and Discord

31 replies
Sev
Not being able to chat at all on mobile is not a vaild concern when this change is partly to appeal to moblie users? Ok.
Posted Nov 22, 15
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
A technical update! It looks like the way we were embedding the chat into our "forumtest" webpage is now being blocked by Discord. At least it isn't showing up on my browser (Chrome) anymore, throwing a security exception:
Copy
Refused to display 'https://discordapp.com/invite/0dfYiypPufvvqLpK' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'SAMEORIGIN'."

There may be an alternate src url to use (one that doesn't set X-Frame-Options in this way), but offhand I don't know what it is...lemme know if you know! Perhaps Discord is working on an embed-friendly version of their chat and this will change.
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Nov 22, 15 · Last edited Nov 22, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
wrote:
Not being able to chat at all on mobile is not a vaild concern when this change is partly to appeal to moblie users? Ok.

That is a concern! But your concern is "I forgot my password" which isn't a technical issue and something that you could probably rectify pretty easily. If I forgot my password to Wildstar, I wouldn't say that was a flaw with the game.
Posted Nov 22, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2
I'm a big fan of Discord and prefer it to Enjin and the forums in just about every way. Cleaner, faster, and more efficient. If they had a Message of the Day feature I'd be completely happy, but the Announcements channel in the Dominion-side seems to work just well for that.
Posted Nov 22, 15
Stars:
+2,002
Here's some feedback.

1) It's not Enjin and it doesn't have that loud, obnoxious chime when someone says something. I know this can be muted, but it resets whenever you close your browser.

2) Unlike Skype, I don't have to give out my information to a bunch of randoms or one-time conversationalists to talk to people. Click on a name, direct messages, done. I love that. I get to keep my sanity and privacy. It also allows me to be easily accessible for out-of-game contact and vice versa with other people.

3) The application is pretty light-weight and minimal in design. I like that I can switch between other Discord groups easily. It doesn't feel as restriction as Enjin's chat. I haven't tried it on my phone yet, but we'll see how that works out later.

4) It's not Enjin.

5) @/Mentions - this is great. Reminds me of the mention functionality in Killroy which I love. Also, it shows who is playing what game. Great to know in the event I want/need to pop in and handle things with them. Also perfect for getting cross-faction events and communication done.

6) I would stick with it wholly if given the option to. My primary concern is the site will have two chat features which can wedge in segregation. This can be a major issue if people start viewing it as one chat versus the other. Already we're seeing a wash of people who hate Discord entirely or refuse to use it for their own reasons. Thankfully, it's not a huge issue. Yet.

Overall, I like it. I like it more than I thought I would. It has a lot of functions and quick-access tools that I like using. Were it not for technicalities and personal opinions, I would like to see it fully implemented into the site, but I understand where there would be some drawbacks.
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Nov 22, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+55
Just figured I'd chime in and say I'm looking forward to having discord for the WSRP website. I run the Dominion discord, and ever since I've swapped to using discord servers over ventrilo, I've never had a problem. While I do know the web version of the discord app does have it's problems, the desktop app is very good, and not hard to download. I also run the Dominion discord, which so far I've had no complaints about, and has existed for a few months now. While I understand it requires a bit of extra effort at first, I personally think the features Discord currently offers is well worth it.
Posted Nov 23, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+46
I like the Discord.
Happy Arkevox @ Entity- Dominion | Mythus Oligard @ Entity- Exile
Posted Nov 25, 15
Stars:
+35
I am against Discord, their tracking and data storage is atrociously invasive.
prXb8TW.png
Posted Nov 25, 15
Stars:
+2,002
Since no one else has explained how Discord uses information, here you go.

For those who are concerned about how Discord tracks and uses data: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/366fgd/just_switched_to_a_program_called_discord_for_our/
(Read through the comments.)

This is also outlined in their Privacy Policy (updated in September):
https://discordapp.com/privacy

It's about as invasive as Skype and Google.
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Nov 28, 15 · Last edited Nov 28, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+5
It's about as invasive as Skype and Google.

Yet people still use both services, and more (Windows OS, GMail etc), from both their parent companies, without issue.

Unless you run a Linux-box disconnected from the internet et al, you'll have to deal with and accept things like this.

Just because a company CAN doesn't mean that it WILL. And besides, given the amount of tracking companies like your bank (through your credit/debit-card), the toll-road companies (through registering your cars' licenseplate every time you pass a toll-station) and the government as a whole does, this is trivial. At best.

In my opinion, anyway.
Posted Nov 28, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices