Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 4

WSRP Chat and Discord

31 replies
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Cogohi: It was a bug in Enjin getting confused about the canonical URL for the forum for their submodules (e.g. Latest Threads)! Was not intended to be a change to the forum overall. I had added the forum to the discord test page, figuring it wouldn't affect URLs based on the canonical home of the website (/forum)...but surprise on us.
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Nov 21, 15 · Last edited Nov 21, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
wrote:
EDIT: After posting this, it /was/ showing Discord as the main page chat program - which is NOT intentional. We're trying to fix that now.

Yeah, I figured that out after I noticed that Ender said it should have only affected this thread. Thanks for looking into it.

wrote:
Are you able to articulate your concerns a little better, please? What is Discord doing on the privacy front that has you concerned about it?

Read the Discord EULA. You've just agreed to have it scan your harddrive and send information on what it finds to their mothership. Regardless of intent that alone is a no-fly zone for me.

Their funding model is to sell skins for their VOIP app. Think about that for a sec. They expect people to PAY them for something they're highly unlikely to be looking at. Normally I'd just snicker and go "good luck wid dat". Except now they've got all that juicy data in their hands... what do you think's going to happen when (not if) their revenue projections go Tango Uniform?

As long as "Terms and conditions subject to change without notification" remains part of their boilerplate any promise of respecting people's privacy is worth less than a fart in a crowded elevator.

Ok, let's just assume that they actually do have ethics and enough leverage to stand up to their investors and really do manage to keep from selling that data or "sharing it with affiliated partners". Security is hard. That makes it expensive. Companies that operate in the computer gaming industry in particular are awful at it. When (not if) their servers become targets all that juicy data's gonna find itself in the worst place imaginable.

Like the adage says when a product is free (eg. blogs, news aggregators, F2P games) you're the product. As long as Discord continues to crawl machines for data they get a big "Oh Hell no" from me.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+5
Having read through the privacy policy for Discord, I see nothing of the sort that you mention about data-crawling, Cogohi. I'd like for a direct link and/or quote to where you saw that.

And besides, by using a Microsoft-product (Windows) or any service that Microsoft offers (Skype, Outlook.com etc.) or Google-products, you subject yourself to much of the same breach of privacy. In fact, I'd daresay that both Microsoft and Google knows more about you than you do yourself.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+83
Online on Site
I totally feel for the mobile users having issues with Enjin, and I'm super appreciative of the site staff volunteering their time to find solutions, but ... are there possible options other than Discord? I hate to say it, but I don't think it's the right choice.

My troubles and concerns are these:

(1) The scrollbar issue I mentioned before persists. I've tried it on both of my comps now, including the up-to-date one. Both flavors of the browser chat (the one inside Enjin's frame, and the "open in a new window" version) lack the scrollbar on the main chat window, and I can't move it with the mousewheel or keypresses.

(2) I haven't downloaded the standalone app, but I'm not sure I should feel I have to. In fact, if the best advice we currently have is "download the app, the browser version has problems", I think that alone is enough reason to give Discord a pass. Ideally, a chat tied to a website should be easily accessible within that website, rather than requiring a portion of the user base to rely on an outside application.

(3) I find Discord really ugly. Like, Raptr had a baby with a Twitter knockoff site ugly. Unless it offers loads of control in the customization department (which itself takes time and energy) I'm not sure skins will help. Granted, this isn't a huge issue — the information is there and readable, for those who can get it to work correctly — but it's rather unfortunate, since the site itself looks so pretty and Wildstar-y.

Admittedly I'm not very vocal in the chat. Usually I just make occasional posts giving updates about Slingers Run events and whatnot. I do read it often, however, and I'd prefer to keep my ability to continue doing so without installing a separate app solely for that purpose.
wpheadermobile.png
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Hi Rabbly! It does have two skins for it (light and dark) - However, if you have better suggestions, we're definitely open to them!

The big benefit of Discord so far has been ability for mobile users. It's also engaged a lot of people less inclined to leave a tab open to watch the forums, which is a definite plus! However, it does have issues and I agree that we'd prefer to minimize how much "work" anyone has to do to chat.

Do you know any programs that might be a better fit? Right now we're basically looking at two options:

1) The Status Quo
2) A change that comes with some ups and some downs

We've poked around and haven't really found a perfect decision that's all benefits, but again, we're definitely interested in any programs you may know about! The reason we chose Discord was really because we knew that the Dominion RPers are already very active in Discord and that several players are already using it, so it would be the most seamless option, especially given the other options we were aware of.
Posted Nov 21, 15 · OP
Sev
wrote:
(2) I haven't downloaded the standalone app, but I'm not sure I should feel I have to. In fact, if the best advice we currently have is "download the app, the browser version has problems", I think that alone is enough reason to give Discord a pass. Ideally, a chat tied to a website should be easily accessible within that website, rather than requiring a portion of the user base to rely on an outside application.

This is why I won't be using discord. I don't have the app on my phone and I don't want to get it.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Sev'i, you don't need an app. You can actually go directly to it on the browser at https://discordapp.com/channels/@me/99952777551155200 - it shouldn't need an app, though it does have one.
Posted Nov 21, 15 · OP
Sev
Can't log in on my phone because I don't remember my password and trying to change my password requires my password. So, i can't view it on mobile at all now. Only serves to further my dislike of it.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+83
Online on Site
wrote:
Hi Rabbly! It does have two skins for it (light and dark) - However, if you have better suggestions, we're definitely open to them!

I wish I were in a position to suggest an alternative. It's been over two years since I've managed an Enjin site, which in internet time means at least three or four opportunities for coders to reinvent the wheel. I was more asking in hopes that the site staff might already know of other options.

I do know that I dearly miss Enjin's original chat module. It was light, it was simple and crisp-looking, it ran on both my desktop and iPad, it never gave me trouble. I assume the folks at Enjin had valid reasons for moving to the newer chat module (the one currently seen on this website) but from my vantage point, it just made things clunkier and introduced problems where none had existed before.

If the choice is "status quo or Discord's ups and downs", I guess it's a matter of weighing the number of mobile users who can't access Enjin versus desktop users who can't get Discord to work properly. Sadly, without lots of feedback, that might not be terribly clear. Still, if I'm in the minority having trouble with Discord's browser version, but there are lots of users who'd benefit from mobile access, better to cater to the wider needs of the user base. The good of the many and all that.

llap.png
wpheadermobile.png
Posted Nov 21, 15 · Last edited Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
wrote:
Can't log in on my phone because I don't remember my password and trying to change my password requires my password. So, i can't view it on mobile at all now. Only serves to further my dislike of it.

I'm sorry you can't, but I don't know if forgetting your password is a valid concern of the chat module. There may be some very valid ones, but I don't know if that is.

Rabbly, that is basically where we're at now! How many are being inconvenienced vs how many can be benefitted. Any change we make will unfortunately hurt someone. We have a good amount of players who don't engage currently because of the forums, which is why we're even really looking at this, so that they won't be marginalized. Ironically (or I guess not so ironically), a lot of the positive feedback isn't being posted here because. . . it's on the forums and it's people who don't use the forums very much!

Still, again there's a decent amount of complications coming up so right now we're looking at if they're solvable or what we can do.
Posted Nov 22, 15 · OP
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices