Page
of 4

WSRP Chat and Discord

31 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Due to Enjin's lack of functionality with mobile devices, as well as some other issues with dropped messages, we are looking at potential solutions! Right now, we're currently running a beta on using Discord as our chat client to see how people like it as opposed to the chat window as is currently.

https://discordapp.com/invite/0dfYiypPufvvqLpK is the discord invite

The above link takes you to the test chat, and any feedback you have on it, feel free to throw in here!
Posted Nov 20, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 30, 15
Star
List
Undo
Sev
I don't get apps on my phone, so I won't be able to chat anymore.
Posted Nov 20, 15
Stars:
+78
I'm enjoying it!
For some reason, the desktop client is finicky with the download, but, that's probably just me. Mobile and browser work perfectly bueno.
Odd Arts of Leschinsky (Also a Deviantart)
Arbon Vale Aurin Cultural Preserve
Sahr Aurin Desert Nomadic Culture
Posted Nov 20, 15
Stars:
+83
Online on Site
I don't know whether it's my browser or the fact that I use an old-arse computer for checking forums, but for some reason I get no scrollbar whatsoever for the chat window in the middle, and my mousewheel doesn't move it either.

Am I overlooking something obvious? I feel like there should be a scrollbar there, since I get one for both the channels list on the left, and the online users list on the right.
wpheadermobile.png
Posted Nov 20, 15
Stars:
+2,002
If you're using it through a standard computer, I would recommend getting the actual Discord application if you haven't done so already. I've had issues with the browser-based version and it was not fun.
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Nov 20, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
*sighs* Ya know, I was just going to bite my tongue (hard) but you guys had to go ahead and shove Discord in my face without asking.

Look, they're well intentioned but they're also really naive about their funding model. They collect a ton of data that they have no business collecting. When their investors get itchy because they're not making any money all that data is going to get monetized. Or worse, they get breached.

So I'm going to ask politely how -I- can turn it off so that www.wildstar-roleplay.com doesn't even sniff in the direction of their web presences.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+5
I quite like Discord. I use the desktop-application from both my gamebox and workflappie without any issues. I prefer it to the current chat, since it doesn't reaquire me to keep the webpage open. That Discord has voice built in is a plus, even though I usually never use such functionality apart from when I'm doing instances/raiding.
Posted Nov 21, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
wrote:
*sighs* Ya know, I was just going to bite my tongue (hard) but you guys had to go ahead and shove Discord in my face without asking.

This IS us asking. The current chat is still in place, we're offering the Discord on a trial basis to see what people think. You're not being forced to use anything.

We're asking for opinions, we're not "shoving it in anyone's face". In fact, the only way to get to it right now is to actively go to this forum post, it doesn't show up anywhere else. You're more than welcome not to use it :)

We'd like everyone's opinion, positive or negative, so we can work out the best solution, so we appreciate the feedback!
Posted Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
wrote:
This IS us asking. The current chat is still in place, we're offering the Discord on a trial basis to see what people think. You're not being forced to use anything.

Half of the site is on Enjin chat ( http://www.wildstar-roleplay.com/forum ) the other half is the Discord webapp (viewing threads). That's hardly what I call "choice" nor did it ask any sort of permission to throw that up there.

edit:
wrote:
In fact, the only way to get to it right now is to actively go to this forum post, it doesn't show up anywhere else. You're more than welcome not to use it :)

No sir, it's up there when viewing every post on the forum.

Aha, it has infected the Latest Threads box.
Posted Nov 21, 15 · Last edited Nov 21, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Actually, two options is the definition of a choice. However!

We're currently trying out the Discord. As of now, we have people in both. We've seen some interesting things thus far - A lot of people were not engaging with us because they weren't able to - at work and not able to have a browser open for WSRP, inconvenience of keeping the site open while in a game, or already had Discord or other chats and didn't want to join one more, or it was just easier for them in the Discord.

We've also seen some people who dislike it - Sev'i 's computer struggles with it. You're citing privacy concerns.

This is a big change and therefore it's not one we're making lightly, which is why I think Ender wasn't thrilled with the language of "shoving this change down your throat" - On the main site, literally the only link to it is this thread asking for feedback. How else could we have tried this out and asked people for feedback that would have been less "forceful" than making a thread and asking for feedback, while still making people aware of it?

Are you able to articulate your concerns a little better, please? What is Discord doing on the privacy front that has you concerned about it?

EDIT: After posting this, it /was/ showing Discord as the main page chat program - which is NOT intentional. We're trying to fix that now.
Posted Nov 21, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 21, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices