WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

DATACHRON - NEW IC TOOL FOR ROLEPLAYERS!

25 replies
Stars:
+43
As Booqaijo mentioned earlier, this concept of Datachron is based on a channel we used on Argent Dawn, in WoW.
I was in this channel for about 3 years, and it's very few problems I've experienced.

I remember at one point somebody got upset because another user made a request to meet in the city, and he had somehow got the impression that the channel was only allowed to be used as a way to find RP outside the capitals. So he wrote in the channel in brackets, that the other player wasn't allowed to do so.
It caused a little bit of confusion for some people, but it was a small fart that was very undramatically solved by whispering the people and publically confirm that there's no restrictions of locations to RP.

another time (and I underline I've only seen this ONCE within 3 years), somebody made an attempt to chit chat and comment OOC in brackets, and got a bit prudish, when they were told off. Never the less, the person stopped the moment they were asked to.

Some other rare occasions has been people who joined the channel, without being properly informed of the concept, and writes "Hi everyone! 8D" - which is just handled by a friendly whisper, explaining the rules.

In general, as long as the approach is sorted in private whispers, it means nobody gets publicly embarrassed for acting inappropriate in the channel, and other users won't get further distracted.

When people join a channel with a clear set of rules and restrictions, and the channel doesn't really influence anyone than the individuals who decides to take use of it, it's generally very few things that can go wrong.
In the most crazy scenario, some petty person -could- go into the channel and break the terms of use in the intension of being obnoxious.... and if that ever happens you can indeed either kick the player from the channel, or put them on ignore, like Leskov suggests. Then their influence is none existant.

So yeah... This channel is by experience pretty undramatic and effective.

Should there be other questions regarding the channel and how to make use of it, then don't be afraid to bring them!
Posted Nov 18, 15 · OP
Stars:
+53
I obviously can't speak on behalf of the channel, but so far I've seen it been used very rarely by people to actually send announcements (Note: Every time I seem to to the /chlist command, there seems to be at least 5 people tuned in) but I definitely have seen no hint of random OOC chitchat, but should I see anyone doing so, I'll probably direct them to LFRP or something of the like. I've partaken in only one event I've seen announced in the channel so far but I definitely feel like it felt a lot more immersive and much less sort of patchy compared to RP events advertised in LFRP. I'm really glad this channel is a thing, I'm really loving it so far.
ruuli emberglade // jabbit
vGxC157.png
Posted Nov 18, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+43
Just gonna point out for newcomers who wonder if this is still going: It is.

Keep in mind that since this channel cuts to the case, it will be quiet unless somebody is writing in it. You are the architect of your own fortune when it comes to get yourself into RP, and if you prefer to wait for somebody else to take a first step it's fine. Just understand that if you do so, you can't really complain if it's too quiet for your taste.

Secondly, remember this channel should be considered an announcement channel and not a chat channel.
An IC frequency to promote events, open bar hours, blind dates, emergency calls so on and fourth.
If someone announce RP, it's encouraged to reply the call, if you would like to join. - but if the type of event isn't your thing, then live and let live in peace. Comments and discussions should not happen in the Datachron channel. There are plenty of other custom channels to serve the purpose as a chat room, so take it elsewhere.
Posted Dec 21, 15 · OP · Last edited Dec 21, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+65
We had something similar to this on Cenarion Circle (US) in WoW. I believe it was called /hearthstone (well before the game of the same name came out) or something along those lines. The logic behind it was that built into your hearthstone was a "Glyph of Communication" that allowed you to talk to others who also had said glyph over long distances. It wasn't so much for chatting over long distances, but more for making connections. We used it all the time to make announcements, such as when certain pubs were opening or in use (advertising drink specials) or various other events, like story nights, etc.

Like WSRP, we had had an OOC channel as well. It worked extremely well to have both IC and OOC channels. Both were extremely effective because the playerbase supported and used them.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when people complain that RP is dead. Well, if you have enough time to claim that RP is dead then you have enough time to use all these tools to generate some!
Posted Dec 21, 15
Star
List
Undo
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
That is the problem on Wildstar in general tho: We do have the tools, people just don't use them. Improving the tools doesn't change much.

For some reason, most RPers in Wildstar are EXTREMELY reactive instead of active - they sit around waiting for RP to happen, complaining that it doesn't. Some log in, ask if there's RP, and log out right away when they hear there's currently none. Others sit around in Thayd for hours waiting for somebody to make an announcement.

And it's not even rocketscience to get RP started by yourself: All that is needed is someone going to any public place and saying on LFRP or Datachron "RP at <place>, please come!", and people usually do (depending on time and other factors, ofc). Even if it doesn't work, it's still better to have tried than to sit around and wait or complain. Get your asses up and do something about it.
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Dec 21, 15
Stars:
+43
Could we please keep this on the topic of promoting the Datachron channel and its functions, rather than ranting about RPers.
Posted Dec 21, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices