WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

DATACHRON - NEW IC TOOL FOR ROLEPLAYERS!

25 replies
Stars:
+24
I'd like to weigh in with my own opinion here, disclaiming that this Datachron /must/ happen:

You heard me right, I used the word “must”:

So, going forward, you now know my opinion on the matter:

-

Basically, I'm here to say that this channel concept works. For me, at least, we're far past any speculation in the matter, because I've -seen- it work exactly as intended, and pretty consistently so as well.

It made an appearance on Argent Dawn EU, in World of Warcraft, and the exact arguments against it were brought to bear:

“It segregates the community, its no different than LFRP, it'll not spawn more roleplay.”

The problem is that, when push came to shove, when the channel was launched and slowly began working as intended, absolutely none of those concerns came to fruition. The “community” wasn't separated any further than it already was (I'll get back to this in a bit), and while a few occasional players might have missed out on a little highlight now and then, it was far outweighed by the positives that were brought to the table.
-

Here's the current issue:

LFRP, for all its boons, is already doing an amazing job “separating the community”; over the last few months, I've met more and more people either considering to leave the channel or who -have- left the channel because they're – frankly – sick and tired of the hostile tone presented and fostered in that chat-environment. These people are roleplayers – they have now been separated, pushed out, by what ideally was designed to “bring people together”.
Let me just reiterate the point I've indirectly been going for:
THIS IS A BAD THING, PEOPLE. We should be -worried about this-.

I'm seeing it, clear as day: sure, we get a few highlights from people who arrange bars and other RP activities now and then, but often that's drowned out by the newest “discussion” currently festering in the chat-ways. When I quotation mark “discussion”, the “discussion” is often just a bunch of bell-ends throwing opinions based on unprovable speculation and subjective ideas of how “stuff works” - often, it results in people ending up in arguments without anything actually being resolved, which further “sours the mood”.

I've seen this happen -twice- before with the direct mirror-image of LFRP in WoW. It starts out with all the good intentions, but over time - particularly as more people arrive - it sours over and becomes a glorified, semi-hostile discussion club/too-cool-for-school troll-hut where people with the loudest opinions set the tune. I'm almost willing to bet three-fiddy that if you ask any former roleplayer from WoW whether LFRP actually lived up to its designation there, you'd end up with some disappointing answers.
-

Datachron is basically the solution because it removes one critical aspect that leads to the problems associated with LFRP as a concept.

It takes out the OOC part. Completely and entirely removes the public discussion aspect (a completely superfluous thing either-way because it's very often – as said – basically people typing their opinions at each-other) and simplifies everything down to the essential question:
“Is there roleplay going on, and if so, what kind of roleplay and where?”

It focuses on one thing and /one thing only/: Roleplay.

EVEN BETTER, it's super low maintenance. You, the player, DO NOT have to engage vigorously with the channel; it'll just rest there, quietly and stoically, and only bother your chat-world with stuff that might be relevant to you (Roleplay opportunities), sparing you the droll bore of people gunnin' for each-others necks to demonstrate who has the biggest, hardest opinion on a matter you don't give two flying fedoras about.

So, going all Seal Of Approval-style here, you get all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks – you only get to worry about one thing; Whether the RP opportunity that just pinged in the channel is something /you like to join/ or not.

You don't have to defend your choices to appeal to some weird body of people; you don't have to waste time debating the hows and whys of the proposed event in question. You don't have to fly in the defence of your friend when his/her event proposal is being cross-analysed OOC'ly by some douche-general with the imagination of a reconnaissance-era defecation container (piss-pot), trying to levy his/her “deep and extensive theoretical expertise of nanotechnology” with the explicit intention of telling your friend to take a hike because “in muh fwagile wittle brain, that doesn't make sense”.
You are simply left with a very clean, simple selection of options:

Join. Whisper the event manager your question(s). Or not join.

-

So, in summary:

This concept -works- (here assuming a critical but not necessarily large group of people join). It works like a charm particularly for people who're interested in roleplay, but are tired of all the other useless OOC noise some people feel is necessary to wrap roleplay in.
Oh, and one last thing:

For those of you who feel that the notion of posting in two channels is overwhelming, here's my 3 step guide to fix that problem:

1: Download OpenOffice/Open your choice writing software.

2: Write your advertisement there.

3: Copy Advert from document. Post it in both channels. (This takes 3 seconds, people. If your computer can't handle alt-tab, write it into two macros in-game.)

Congratulations – you've now maximized your outreach. Now observe how people either tell you “Awesome concept, I'd join BUT-..” or downright try to crush your idea in one channel, and none of that sh*t in the other channel.
Posted Nov 9, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+208
wrote:
I also would disagree with the comment that says its not "community splitting". If you're not in the channel how will you know what's going on?

Who says that the event is ONLY being posted in this channel, though?

From the way I understand it, the only thing the OP is doing here is giving an option to people who don't want to be sitting in the OOC channel constantly just to find out what's going on in the world - now they have the option to sit in a channel JUST for IC event announcements without having to see the rest of the chatter. It's great tool for people who want a little more immersion, and it encourages these event-makers to get creative with their advertising in order to appeal to an IC audience.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about.
So those are some of my thoughts from the bathtub.
Posted Nov 9, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+25
While a EU player since release, I've also been wandering around a bit on the NA servers since July, so here's my thought on it:

LFRP is the EU counterpart of the NA WSRP, where it's all OOC talk.
While it was a really pleasant place to discuss amongst friendly people about all sorts of subjects, from RP related ones (lore questions, event organization) to slightly less related ones (housing), to entirely uncorrelated ones (PvE and PvP, much to my personnal dismay), F2P and the large flow of players it brought back to the game changed that.

As BOOQAIJO stated, the conversations now tend to go very sour really quickly there.
The same debates spark up the channel every day if not multiple times a day, about stuff like the acceptability of world story spoilers or sexual jokes in the channel, or the ERP bashing and shaming, or the fact that most people play aurin ("People should really play something else!" - an aurin player), or...
Therapy sessions are organized dailies, with a few people playing the "attention whore" card, speaking to the dozens of players reading that channel about their personal relationship issues, or their dead grandmother, or how great their BF is, or...
I am ashamed to say that I've partaken in more than one of these debates, and I know that even with the best intentions, stuff on the internet can go acid really quickly (I've personally apologized via whispers to more than one person over the last few weeks). But I've also ended up in a position where LFRP feels like a hostile place to me, and I'm pretty sure that all of our good intentions to make it a great place for newcomers to feel welcome have gone down the drain after F2P. More than once, I've turned off LFRP, sad to imagine that new players would flee that place quickly too.

And even though I do my best to separate IC and OOC feelings, the bad vibes I've kept getting from LFRP slowly drove me away from RP altogether over the last months, which isn't a really awesome feeling.

This Datachron channel would be entirely IC, but only about announcements, unlike NA's GlobalRadio which is also about random IC chatter.
From what I understand - imagine it IC as a newsfeed, brought to you by a really powerful server system that brings out stuff relevant to you only. Bars in your vicinity, distress calls in a reasonable distance from you...

To me, this means many more spontaneous RP possibilities, way more easily, and a potential cure for the "Is there RP?" "No." "Oh ok." dance.

To me, this means avoiding useless debates and the possibility of growing unnecessary grudges against some players OOCly due to the sourness of a channel.

To me, this means increased immersion in the universe I love, with RP happening seamlessly, in a manner that is actually lore friendly - Datachrons are actually a thing, most characters should have one (characters who don't know how to use one are a bit farfetched to me, but it's not really the point here), and there's no reason to believe they'd be less advanced that our current day smartphone who /already/ do selective newsfeed like that.

To me, this means less community splitting, because instead of hoping that everyone will live happily ever after in a common channel where people mindsets /obviously/ differ, we're bringing roleplayers around the actual common interest here - roleplay.

To me, this means that any troll in this channel can be easily ignored because no one will answer to them anyway.

All I have to say to conclude this is thank you Keon, because I never had the courage to actually start something like that even though I've known about NA's GlobalRadio for months, and because I think this will highly profit the community.

EDIT: I just felt inspired and made a quick photo montage out of the examples from the OP =D
2ha4I6u.png
Posted Nov 9, 15 · Last edited Nov 9, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+43
Thank you so much to all the positive feedback to this project. I'm very happy to see that there is an interest for it.
And awesome photo montage, Vlinn! If addons weren't that complicated, I'd make an addon with such a design! :d
Posted Nov 9, 15 · OP
Stars:
+43
Now that I can see the channel is taken into use, I'll give this thread another promotional bump, and at the same time underline that practical/technical questions regarding the concept is welcome here!
Posted Nov 17, 15 · OP
Question... how will you manage entropy? I'm no longer in LFRP, and I'm close to leaving WSRP because of entropy... GlobalRadio is now in my default RP tab, while WSRP is in the main "everything" tab. This happened, not instantly, but over time, because entropy is a thing... as the orderly concept that is this channel becomes more present in the community, and more people use it, subtle changes will occur.

Requests won't be quite as well formated, more things OOCly will be discussed in double parenthesis, chatter will increase as people talk about their trees. This will happen innocently, but it will happen.
Posted Nov 17, 15
Stars:
+208
wrote:
Requests won't be quite as well formated, more things OOCly will be discussed in double parenthesis, chatter will increase as people talk about their trees. This will happen innocently, but it will happen.

When it comes to stuff like what you're talking about, consistency and reliability is key. The quality of a channel is decided by the owner, and re-enforced by the people therein. As long as there is always someone there, issues aren't likely to occur en mass. A quick and kind ((let's keep the chatter out of this channel, please)) will usually suffice for most people. Quality assurance can be handled in much the same way by whispering the player, rather than creating a discussion in the channel itself.

If someone insists on breaking rules and being rude, encourage people to ignore them, rather than feed into it. As mean as this sounds, peer pressure can be used for both good and bad. If they want to be acknowledged, they'll conform. If they won't, they'll be forced to leave.

Start early, be consistent in praise and punishment, be reliable. Kinda like raising kids. LOL
Posted Nov 17, 15
Interesting analogy. I have four kids. They do lots of things behind my back I never find out about until much later.

Also, how do you punish people in a channel? You can only, at best, admonish them. Maybe you can change the password... but what happens to all the people not being punished?
Posted Nov 17, 15
Stars:
+208
I wanted to say "like raising puppies" but then I figure someone might find that offensive to be compared to animals. Honestly, the only answer I have for you is "ignore them". People are going to be people no matter what you do. The great thing about video games is that you can chose not to speak to or hear from someone if you don't want to. It's the same in every channel, WSRP, GlobalRadio and so on. Don't like someone? Put them on /ignore and forget about it. Whole group of people doing the same annoying crap? Same solution.

Honestly. This is the internet. Perfection will never exist. You can put up all the fail safes you want and some guy is still going to come in and try to ruin the experience because he/she can. At the end of the day, each player gets to chose who they associate with. The best thing you can do is find what works best for you, be that ignorance or just not being in the channel at all.

There's no use dwelling on what "could" happen - half the reason why great ideas never get started is because of people who only consider the worst case scenario. Give it a shot, see what happens, deal with the issues as they come up. Just gotta have faith in people sometimes.
Posted Nov 17, 15
Stars:
+24
To answer the concerncs about entropy:

Valid concerns. While it's impossible for the few folks considered moderators to be around all the time, Leskov already touched upon how it was kept reined in and functioning on Argent Dawn;

Basically, if we saw something that didn't belong, we very politely whispered the player, explained why the rules were as they were and asked them to respect this. The key here was being polite about it - I cannot recall to date that anyone ever took issue with it and didn't follow directives thereafter. Consistency - as he mentioned - is the word.

Also, recall, the people who willingly join the channel already come in with a certain mindset - if you've heard about it, it's either through word of mouth and reading this thread. most players are only in that channel because they're interested in that particular setup.
Posted Nov 18, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices