WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

DATACHRON - NEW IC TOOL FOR ROLEPLAYERS!

25 replies
Stars:
+43
Introducing Datachron!

An IC chat device allowing you to find and announce current RP, without distraction of off-topic OOC chat or comments!

Discussions about RP rarely breeds more IC action. At least that's been my experience so far.
For this reason I would like to introduce an alternative for the Rpers on Jabbit, who would like to experience more action and develop more IC relationships: Datachron.
With this network they have the tool to develop deeper story-lines, new relationships and adventures!

What makes Datachron different from any other RP channel?

The technical function of Datachron is to provide you with an in-character chat frequency. This means that out-of-character chatting and comments are not allowed. Only a short informational OOC note to highlight time, location and other practical details is the only OOC accepted, and should be separated in brackets.
If a user sees an announcement they would have questions to, the questions should not be directed to the public channel, but whisper privately to the sender.

By keeping this consistent set of rules, the channel pin points to find RP in a bit more immersive fashion, and prevents the channel to be mislead into other directions than its original purpose.
It can be added to a RP dedicated chat tab as a useful tool, without any spam or distractions.

How to use the Datachron?

To connect to the channel, simply type /chjoin Datachron. After joining, the channel will have a specific number, and in order to write in it, you will have to type /<number> before writing your message.

For an overview of who is currently online on the chat, type /chlist <number of the channel>.

Because the network is not a chat channel you can expect the channel will appear more quiet than a OOC RP channels typically is. This is normal and doesn't mean that it is dead. You will just see activity when someone announce for RP to happen, and that is exactly the point of the channel.

For instance:

“Special discount on the Rock Lobster tonight: First five visitors gets first drink for FREE! (Sally Evergreen's Housing Plot, tonight at 9PM realm time)”

or

“Hey, I'm spending a few hours in Thermock Hold before heading to next mission. If there are any fellow Granoks out there, come by the small bar for a beer!”

or

“Is anyone out there? My name is Mina, and I need your help! I got lost in the Celestion forest.. if anyone can track my signal of this flare I light up in 3... 2.. 1.. - Please help me find back to Sylvan Glade! (New player looking for RP. Maybe we could quest IC together. Whisper for a party invitation to find me! ^_^)

...and so on!

These are just examples, but there are no formal rules of how you should do it – as long as it's IC!

Where did the name come from?

I was inspired by the calls on the datachron that pops up during quests!

Do you really believe this will work?

This concept is far from new, and I have seen evidence that it does indeed work for those who take use of it.

Are you trying to compete with LFRP?

No, one chat doesn't have to exclude the other. This is simply just an additional tool for those who finds use of it.

Questions?

If you have any questions related to the concept or how it works, feel free to ask!
Posted Nov 7, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 7, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+43
huh. nice concept.
11.jpg

*Erallia Valiantheart/ Sacrielle Gloomveil
Posted Nov 7, 15
Stars:
+53
I'm loving this idea and I really hope it picks up, it sure gives more of an IC reason to go somewhere rather than trying to excuse only hearing about it in OOC chat channels. I'll definitely be joining it.
ruuli emberglade // jabbit
vGxC157.png
Posted Nov 7, 15
Stars:
+43
The channel has already been taken into use, and it seems like the current users found it pretty intuitive. That's a good start!
Posted Nov 7, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
I honestly don't see the point. While I do love the thought of IC announcements, we've always had these exact same kind of announcements in LFRP.

All this serves is splitting up the community, because not everyone will broadcast in both, and then people who are not in both will miss out. And even if everyone broadcasts in both, the channel is entirely pointless and we could just stay in LFRP in the first place.

Not only is it pointless, but it makes it more complicated for new players to join the community. It's hard enough to learn about ONE essential channel for RPers, which at least makes sense with its naming, and now there's two even.
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Nov 8, 15 · Last edited Nov 8, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+43
Well then it's very fortunate that you are absolutely free to do whatever you want, Soey.
Posted Nov 8, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+321
Wouldn't LFRP be an ooc channel, whereas this would be IC (akin to GlobalRadio's channel)?
Posted Nov 8, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+208
Use it if you want to, don't use it if you don't. There's no "community splitting" going on - if anything, it's adding options to our (currently) very limited choices. Good on you, Keon.
So those are some of my thoughts from the bathtub.
Posted Nov 8, 15
Star
List
Undo
Kiyara Benefactor
Stars:
+40
I like the idea and it is cute, however I already have several channels and chat tabs organised and adding more will start to make things tight for space (to be honest I've already got more than enough chat tabs...). I also would disagree with the comment that says its not "community splitting". If you're not in the channel how will you know what's going on? To ensure no one 'misses out' you'd have to post about it on both channels and then it does become a bit of a moot point in having the second channel.

I'm not against improvements for us as an RP community but I do not feel that making more chat channels is the answer.
Posted Nov 9, 15
Stars:
+16
I believe it's used only by the Exile at the moment. I've made a thread for the IC Chat Channel with the same concept already, but considering I RP mostly on Dominion I never promoted this chat channel on Exile side:
Radio Atoll

IC Chat Channels are nice for in game communication to promote events or get in touch with groups of people you are too far away to meet. Considering the community is not that big it may seem like another excessive channel that will distract RPers, but when the community will grow - there will be need for both IC communication, OOC only LFRP communication and OOC channel on any topic. Because atm LFRP serves not to LFRP, but to communicate between other RPers on different topics.

I made Radio Atoll chat channel exactly with the concept of radio frequency, so that everyone could use it as one channel anyone could join anytime and communicate with everyone on the frequency, despite they want to have them there or not.
"True men don't kill coyotes."
Posted Nov 9, 15 · Last edited Nov 9, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices