WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

What is important to you in a profile addon?

28 replies
Stars:
+62
People need to think of the smallest thing that would work, throw out all the addons from WoW, they are all too big. Look at a tweet, and figure out in 100 characters or less, what you want it to do. As has been pointed out, that's what you have to work with, and that's if you aren't using LFRP, which cuts your available characters down even further. So, what can you do with 100 characters? Answer that, and you make something that does it.
96d653e5d1e8d1c4.png
Posted Nov 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
wrote:
People need to think of the smallest thing that would work, throw out all the addons from WoW, they are all too big. Look at a tweet, and figure out in 100 characters or less, what you want it to do. As has been pointed out, that's what you have to work with, and that's if you aren't using LFRP, which cuts your available characters down even further. So, what can you do with 100 characters? Answer that, and you make something that does it.

You cannot bank on being able to use all 100 characters.

You certainly don't want to send that to the open channel because if you get more than 10 people sending something that large within the same second everybody on the channel gets receive throttled. Even if you limit open channel usage to a single character and use private side channels you can still cause the receiver to get throttled if the protocol isn't designed correctly.

That's why those familiar with the API are telling you guys to manage your expectations. Things that can fit within 20 characters are about the best we can do.

edit: Yes there are some tricks that can be used to marshall more data across but that's wandering into pointy-hats-and-cauldron territory. Best to stick to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) and hit the high priority features first and then add stuff as the bandwidth budget allows.
Posted Nov 3, 15 · Last edited Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+62
Essentially what I'm trying to say, people need to think smaller, I was being generous with 100 characters.
96d653e5d1e8d1c4.png
Posted Nov 3, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Based on the limitations Toggle is talking about (which is also the primary reason why there aren't currently an addon like this to my understanding), I do think that the bare minimals might be necessary. While something like Total Roleplay 3 from WoW would be great, Wildstar just doesn't work for it, so I think it might be necessary to think in different directions.

As others have said, keep it to perhaps a custom title, a nickname and a link to a profile, as well as a simple IC/OOC toggle or something like that.
Posted Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
I've discussed this a bit with Togglebutton, but I wanted to put it here too - Since it appears the main issue is related to Carbine's servers.

In order of priority I would say we'd need

High Priority:
Field to put Bio in
Label/Title (so people know whose RPing)

Medium priority: Specific fields like weight, height. A lot of this could just be put into the main bio section

Low priority: RP Flag - because of the nature of RP in Wildstar and the amount that occurs on housing lots, generally if youre present, you're IC. If you're there OOC, most players just announce it. This is a feature that I don't think is terribly necessary.

Some features also talked about - One of the main issues seems to be the frequent refreshing of the profiles. Do we need them to refresh very often? Most people don't change their profiles and when they do, it would be infrequent. Would it be possible to set it up so the addon just reads someones profile once and loads that, and if someone alters their own profile, they can either just type /refresh or something to that effect that lets others with the addon know to read their profile one more time? This could conceivably cut down on bandwidth, but I don't really know.
Posted Nov 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+275
If you want to lessen bandwidth, it would make sense to make it a manual query. A button that queried the targeted unit, for example. That way it only fires once, and a user would have to actively ask for the data instead of some automation pipping the ICComm channel every interval period. The addon could then cache the return, dumping it at session end, or squirreling it away for a reload. You could rig a scheduler so that the player getting the requests would have their responses send in a timed queue, first in, first out.

Note, this will not allow you to exceed the limits TB specified. You'll still only get 100 characters, for all your addons, for your logged in character. Also note, this will not be like FlagRSP, MRP, or TRP(insert number here). You will have to target and clicky to get your profile (unless it's pulling from cache). Still, something along those lines might work.
3462105.jpg
Posted Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+75
RP Flag and link to WSRP profile would be sufficient and maximally flexible (you could put allll the data you wanted in your profile, which is exactly what people are asking for).

I also agree with Scriptorium that making it on-demand would be best. Possibly handle the URL transmission in the same way ChatLinks handles creating a 'copy/paste' area for a URL, for ease of use. Possibly (better) make it actually pop the link over to the chat area itself as a [debug] or [command] message rather than up in its own UI?
(Dominion) Sylyss Dalakan of House Dalakan

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
Posted Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+25
As other have suggested, making it a manual request to read a profile would be best.
Posted Nov 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Sly
Stars:
+803
Untagged users
Really the ability to see someone is an RPer at a glance without targeting them, then see if they're IC/OOC. Agreeing with others for basic things such as name, alias, age, build, eye color, hair color, profession and a tiinnyyy description at most.

I'll admit I miss MRP's ability to show current status and using Nicknames over the player's name in the chat box.
Posted Nov 7, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices