WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

What is important to you in a profile addon?

28 replies
Stars:
+53
I'd say try to look along the lines of the MRP addon in WoW, it's not perfect but it's successful. Y'know, fields of basic information (I.e race, height, age, etc.) with a larger description box with a high word count limit. Also, something like an overhead hover button like PDA did or a button next to a target unit frame in MRP will be more than useful for sighting other RP'ers, in addition to maybe, if possible, an addition to the hover tooltip which can give basic information.

I wish you the best of luck!
ruuli emberglade // jabbit
vGxC157.png
Posted Nov 2, 15
Stars:
+25
I actually much prefer Total Roleplay 3, and this is as someone who used MRP for years. but to explain why we'll have to go through a bit of a mini-history lesson in WoW's RP addon past!

Feel free to skip this bit if you're not interested!
First, we had FlagRSP2 (Or something like that). Very simple and bog standard, but it worked. Then we had TRP, then TRP2. Around the same time we had several other very commonly used addons such as Tongues (For languages), Gryphonheart Items (For custom items), etc etc.

TRP2 made an attempt to integrate the features of those two, and many more, addons. And when I say many, I mean... -many-. An absurd number even. Sadly, it either performed worse than the separate addon, or it caused various comparability issues. Generally speaking people only used TRP2 for the profiles and descriptions, the additional features were almost always used by external addons. As an example TRP2 used a language thing akin to Tongues, except they were not compatible. So if someone was speaking Darnassiun with Tongues to someone with TRP2, with that character knowing Darnassiun as well, the latter could not understand the former, and vice versa. The TRP2 item function was virtually never used, on my server at least, let alone the various properties/homes features or the custom quest maker!

The biggest grievance for me that made me switch to MRp however, was the 'currently' tooltip. Whenever you moused over a player, most RP addons had some form of status that was intended to give a brief description of how the character was looking or behaving. MRP and Flag gave you a small line, and MRP even insisted on the user only using the 'currently' section for a brief description. Later versions even imposed a character limit. TRP2 had no such limit. People had a notorious habit of putting their entire character description/backstory in the 'currently' tab. This meant, that whenever someone (Such as myself0 moused over them, BAM our whole screen would be filled with a single tooltip. Not good! Bad design! Especially as it became a rapidly occurring trend in... less favourable roleplay hubs. You couldn't move your cursor over a crowd without being blinded by the 'backstory' of Edgy McEdgelord and his friends.

To make matters worse, TRP2 soon allowed people to colour the text manually using colour coding. Except a lot of people used this to make the bloody names and such rainbow coloured. Now this wouldn't have been much of an issue as the currently thing, but those not using TRP2 would see a massive garble of text strings instead of a name. Plus, the absurdly long 'currently' would frequently be cut down to a few words. Which was good. But as TRP2 had no guideline for indicating how much users of other addons could see, legitimate users had trouble ensuring their currently wasn't cut off.

Eventually the development of TRP2 came to a stop because the dev, and I am being honest here, didn't like the Pandaren, and was one of many who assumed that Blizzard was "ripping off" Kung Fu Panda with the Pandaria expansion. As a result, almost everyone used MRP for at least a full year as TRP2 became broken very shortly afterwards, with some vain unofficial attempts at keeping it updated by people who loved the addon. This failed miserably because we had about four 'open source' versions that were not compatible with one another.

Fast forward to late Pandaria, we finally got TRP3, made by a new author. Which took the best bits of TRP2, and left all the gubbins behind.

The various, pointless, features were not implemented. Name colouring can only be done within the addon interface (And colours the whole name, not individual letters). The currently has a character cap. And the author has gone through a lot more effort to ensure users of MRP and what have you can read all the critical information from TRP3, rather than leaving it to the MRP author to work around the problems.

That said, nowadays everyone uses TRP3 anyway, since it also introduced a few new features a lot of people make heavy use of (Such as the 'at a glance' panel, which can store 5 icons which when moused over yield a short, custom, description of a character feature or behaviour. For some it has replaced the 'currently' tab entirely. Or the various UI buttons to toggle IC and OOC, hide helms and cloaks, toggle AFK or present, etc).

End of pointless history rant

Basically: At a bare minimum, I expect RP addons to contain custom names, age, height, a big ol' description box, and nowadays even a custom class field (Which most RP addons have). Anything else is bells and whistles, so to speak, but they're nice to have.

The important thing however is to make sure it's still relatively light weight, and doesn't suffer from feature bloat. Several addons, namely for the chat, are firmly established already, and trying to shoehorn in a chat module for a new RP addon for WS will only cause havoc. If a chat module of some kind- must- be inserted, either make it compatible with something like Killroy, or allow the chat module to be disabled without affecting the rest of the addon, as TRP3 allows.

That said, a big button over someone's head doesn't sound appealing. IC/OOC state is often described in the tooltip, usually aided by TRP3's IC/OOC toggle button.
Posted Nov 2, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+386
Throwing information here for you. This is the transmission limits.
-CRB Post-

The following numbers are in characters per MINUTE
Up : Down

• Party - Upload 4000/Members (The more members in a party the less that can be sent per person)
  • Party - Download No limit
  • Guild - Upload 1000
  • Guild - Download 1000
  • Global - 100
  • Global - 1000
An RP profile addon would require the use of a global channel in order to be effective. This means that at any given minute you can only upload 100 characters. The bigger your profile, the more chance of hitting that limit and throttling. When you throttle, you must wait a minute from when that last character is sent. You can also lose part of the message.

Also: These limits are per user, not per channel. So if you use other addons, that also use a global channel you can also get throttle. That means LFRP, or the RP party finder can also hit that cap.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Nov 2, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+62
So, yer talking a profile addon that works in character limits similar to a tweet, so why not just link to profiles on the server, simple short, and add in a IC/OOC flag and there ya go. Nothing bigger is going to work within the framework available, as much as people would like it to.
96d653e5d1e8d1c4.png
Posted Nov 2, 15
Stars:
+35
-edit- nevermind, did some testing, got answers.
prXb8TW.png
Posted Nov 2, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 2, 15
Stars:
+366
Something that we could put a short descriptor in would be great actually. Often times there are things that would help...a limp, missing an ear, other scars/markings, etc that could easily be described in a very short way.

Sure, many of us would still RP it out long form, but in busy settings...having to describe it over and over gets rather tiresome to do. Some people have done the whole macro thing with it, but having a small space for that would be great.

Being able mark as IC or OOC would be helpful as well!
XDdjSto.png
Posted Nov 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+16
Well, people already linked several nice addons for WoW like MRP and TRP3 and they are both pretty nice, though a bit different. Myself I prefered TRP3 for it's friendly interface and features it had.

First of all RP addon requiers:
- IC and OOC flag;
Secondly:
- Character description with fields for height, age, face features like tattoos, piercing, scars (considering there's a wide variety for char customisation we don't need much stuff like eye color or body shape);
- Text field for character apearance description;
- Current state (a text field or a variety of icons like: happy, injured, tired, stinks, etc.);
- Custom name change.
- Custom title;
- Multiple character profiles (combined with posibility to change name very useful on events when you have to RP an NPC);
- Database with characters you've met, so you could check info about them when they are not close;
- Pet, mount profile with name and a short description of them;
- Translator (I'm not sure if it was anywhere stated in lore that we all speak different languages, though even if we do - integrated translator into a helm would be a common piece of gear + possibility to turn it off);
- Notepad (I've noticed that many people were not using it at all and it didn't travel to new patches of RP addons in some games, but this is so comfortable when you don't need to search for a piece of paper or Alt+Tab to write something down. Considering names in Wildstar consist of two parts it's very hard to remember everything).

Everything else I think is not that important honestly. RP Profiler has to describe what other characters learn about your char on the first look. I never udnerstood such things as music theme and bio. Though many people like those features, but when I see someone on the street I never learn his personal life music theme and biography. Though field for bio would be nice for example if this will be some "Public profile" authorities have on your char everyone can access. It's a sci-fi world after all and informations travels pretty fast. So it could be any way you like. Like for exapmle text field for description, residence field, birth place, crime history, medical history, known public issues (friends/rivals), occupation, etc.
"True men don't kill coyotes."
Posted Nov 3, 15 · Last edited Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+168
Basically what Toggle said. At best we can set an RP state (OOC, Looking for RP, In an open scene, In a closed scene, etc.) We can share a very limited amount of data like a title or a shortened URL. Possibly both.

CRB's engine does not deal with large volumes of saved data well, I had to give up using Commodity Stats because it would delay my load in time to the point of timing me out.

Things that require text are going to be problematic from both a transmission and retrieval standpoint.
Posted Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+168
wrote:
The important thing however is to make sure it's still relatively light weight, and doesn't suffer from feature bloat. Several addons, namely for the chat, are firmly established already, and trying to shoehorn in a chat module for a new RP addon for WS will only cause havoc. If a chat module of some kind- must- be inserted, either make it compatible with something like Killroy, or allow the chat module to be disabled without affecting the rest of the addon, as TRP3 allows.

Interesting history, thanks for that.

WS's stock chat addon (ChatLog) is, well, it's a disaster. It's also very complicated so nobody's tackled doing a full on replacement. Killroy and Chatsplitter both hook into ChatLog's message handling to perform their magic then hand it back to ChatLog to finalize it. Killroy goes a bit further to override some of ChatLog's misfeatures (eg. Linefade :roll: ) I've been on and off working on one to make sure that the enabled state of non-standard channels are persisted per tab.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic for this thread so I apologize for that
Posted Nov 3, 15 · Last edited Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+55
The biggest most important thing here is that the add-on actually ends up existing as opposed to dieing to overwhelming feature creep.
We have not had a functioning add-on of this nature for a long time.
The attempts that were made became horribly bogged down by trying to do too much out the door and died.
So, if we could just have a plain 500 character limited description text box first, or custom title in a released state to have ANYTHING, and then work from there, that would be best.

The short: anything sooner rather than more later.
Posted Nov 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices