WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

What is important to you in a profile addon?

28 replies
Stars:
+35
Hello~

My friend and I are potentially going to be tackling the problem of not having a profile addon. As such, we would like to gauge which features will be most important to you for it.

What is essential for you? What would be nice, but not necessary? How large do you make your profiles (In word count), would you be willing to make a more condensed profile for in-game?

If you have a reference character sheet/template that you really like, please also show that, it could be very helpful!
prXb8TW.png
Posted Nov 1, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 1, 15
Stars:
+68
One thing I liked about old PDA is that the "bio" section was kept short on purpose, because novels aren't the point of an in-game RP profile (we got the forums here for full-detailed ones).

Cool things:
- Height
- Build (not weight, a build is way more descriptive, even if it's just one word)
- "At a glance" type physical description
- Profession (like IC job)
- Records (for any criminal records or anything that would be picked up on the network, if we want to use this as an IC device, which would be really cool)

One very important thing, and that's probably the hardest part, is to make it as light as possible, in terms of memory use, etc.

That's all I can think of what I've seen brought up in the past.
Don't Chua wish your girlfriend was Lopp like me?
Posted Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+83
I definitely favor the minimalist approach. It's been years since I've played WoW, but I was always sort of baffled that the profile addons evolved to have an ungodly number of fields and settings.

Ideally, I think the only "must have" is a single text field in which someone can write and update an at-a-glance description, preferably with a reasonable character limit to avoid the novel problem. Generally a few sentences are enough to communicate essential things about the character; specific lines for things like height, age, etc. are better suited for profiles on forums, in my view.
wpheadermobile.png
Posted Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+63
I'll parrot otheres here in saying that brevity is the key to good communication, especially in a bio. One of my favorite pastimes in CoX was people-watching, and that included bios. I would always pass by the novellas and /tell those who wrote a succinct, clear and engaging bio/backstory.
kaelsig-wildstar.png
If your wounds are frightening, just call Pink Lightning!
Posted Nov 1, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
I second (third?) the minimalist approach. In game, I often find it nice to just get the basics. Though if it was possible to link to a longer profile, for instance here on the forums, that would be awesome too!

I also really like being able to add some sort of "nick name".
Posted Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2,002
One of the selling points of PDA was the limited description field and a character sheet URL field for quick copypasta. Generic name, nickname, profession and build is an added bonus. That's about it. I'll echo the fellow sentiments of not needing a novella-sized biography and history section - if at all. (These are things you wouldn't necessarily 'see' or read at a glance, anyway.)
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Nov 1, 15 · Last edited Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+18
Working links and ability to put up images.
Posted Nov 2, 15
Stars:
+75
The only thing that I would use a profile addon for is a link to a character bio on here. I don't personally like or need in-game profiles.
(Dominion) Sylyss Dalakan of House Dalakan

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
Posted Nov 2, 15
Star
List
Undo
A few fields of things that could be perceived, plus a profile link and an IC/OOC "in-out" toggle are all I'd want. Don't need images, walls of text, or anything else eating that drip of a channel.
Posted Nov 2, 15
Stars:
+7
Basic things like age, name, birth place, home town. Also the able to use the IC and OOC flag, include custom ones too.
Posted Nov 2, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices