WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

PDA Replacement Bounty

7 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
It's been discussed a lot (and is in the FAQ) why PDA no longer works, however a profile addon would be nice and is probably the single most common request I hear from players. Basically PDA functioned as a profile addon. A tag floated over your head, people clicked it, it gave you that characters biography of what they wanted people to see.

We also have a small pool of people coding to try and make a new one, which on top of the technical issues, are making this a bit complicated.

So I'm proposing we put together a bit of a bounty to try and reward whoever can make a functioning, open source one - open source being impotant with game turnover or if someone else needs to take over the upkeep once it's running. This addon is one that's both in high demand and will take a bit of time to really get functioning.

If you're willing to donate to a bounty pool for whoever can get this functioning, please put your name in here (as well as the amount) - I'll tabulate it so we can find out what the total number is as more and more people opt in!
Posted Nov 1, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+6
I would be willing to donate $50-$100 to get the project going!
Posted Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+386
We've put a few ideas on this board for ways to approach. But it's not something a single person can handle. We need people to come together and work this out. A bounty is great, but people stepping up to do the work is better. I've been posting materials to help you all learn about addon making. I will continue with this to help support you future coders.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Nov 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
What's missing that's not covered by LFRP, OKNexus! or even LookAtMeRP?

I've been off and on working on an addon in this space (more off than on) but it would likely be incompatible with any of the above. I have next week off and will be working on some Revisit fixes and features. I can easily put some time into an RP status addon if I can get some clear and reasonable requirements.

See my replies in this thread. (( What the heck happened to the individual post links? ))
Posted Nov 3, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
wrote:
(( What the heck happened to the individual post links? ))

They've been moved to the other side of the post, bottom right corner :)
Posted Nov 3, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
wrote:
What's missing that's not covered by LFRP, OKNexus! or even LookAtMeRP?

I've been off and on working on an addon in this space (more off than on) but it would likely be incompatible with any of the above. I have next week off and will be working on some Revisit fixes and features. I can easily put some time into an RP status addon if I can get some clear and reasonable requirements.

See my replies in this thread. (( What the heck happened to the individual post links? ))

Well, what people are still looking for is actual ingame profiles where they can set their char name, a little discription, and a link at least. The more detailled they can fill out, the better. As I understand it the addon API / ICComms thing is not too helpful for this tho.

Just a thought tho: Has somebody tried abusing an actual chat channel for communication purposes? As far as I know, that "LUI Holdem" seems to do that to handle its communication.
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Nov 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
wrote:
Well, what people are still looking for is actual ingame profiles where they can set their char name, a little discription, and a link at least. The more detailled they can fill out, the better. As I understand it the addon API / ICComms thing is not too helpful for this tho.

The new limits are far less forgiving. Gone are the days of fire and forget. A well designed protocol should be able to deal with it but that will require some field testing.

wrote:
Just a thought tho: Has somebody tried abusing an actual chat channel for communication purposes? As far as I know, that "LUI Holdem" seems to do that to handle its communication.

It's something I've considered. It's something to keep in mind if further ICComLib efforts prove futile.
Posted Nov 3, 15
Stars:
+208
A friend of mine has already attempted to make an addon such as this and has told me that without creating something to the effect of OQueue (for those of you who know what it is - for those of you who don't, check this link - http://goo.gl/ZWghcE ), it is more or less impossible at this point in time - the game doesn't have the infrastructure to support it, regardless of its simplicity. One line descriptions or 20 lines, it won't work for a massive number of people.

The question is if people are willing to put up with an addon like that - keep in mind that when it is NOT turned on, whispers become more or less covered in spam, because that's how the addon 'talks' to others. It isn't seen when the program is turned ON because they're hidden from you. The addon would also require that you are account friends with a great number of people - the more people you are friends with, the more information about others you can see. OQueue was great for what it did, but unpleasant in its side-effects.

Where was I goin with this? Oh, right. Friend has moved onto other projects. He's more or less convinced that the "PDA" addon will not work until more server infrastructure is provided for addons.
So those are some of my thoughts from the bathtub.
Posted Nov 3, 15
NoticeNotices