WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 2

[Query]Killroy 2.0

14 replies
Stars:
+275
Ok, I've been thinking about this for some time and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on it. I love my baby, but my baby was created when I knew next to nothing about LUA. I've learned a bit now and can think of possibly better ways to accomplish my goals. And by better I mean "MORE COMPATIBLE" ways. So what I'm considering is a re-write of Killroy from the ground up, with an eye to touching as little of ChatLog as possible. What I'm looking for from the community is what features you need, must have, can not live without, and what features you simply don't use.

Currently on my hatchet list:

• RP Filters and Auto Insertion. No one uses that damn filter anyway, so why clutter things up with it.
  • Interface Replacement. Killroy has to touch a lot of ChatLog because it replaces sections of interface. If I move that interface out of ChatLog and into a Killroy only UI, I can avoid overriding those methods.
  • Channel Visibility and Circle and Custom Channel handling. At the moment, Killroy's own ID overrides ChatLog's IDs. That means if Killroy borks, ChatLog gets broken and it means that I have to stick my fingers in a lot of places. Instead, I'm considering changing things so that Killroy drives ChatLog through ChatLog's own channel ids, and Killroy's channel id becomes the Channel Name. This way I can take all my insertions out, and unhook a whole lot of methods.
3462105.jpg
Posted Oct 26, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
By observation it looks like the channel ids for player made channels are the ones that change. Makes sense since those channels go away when nobody that's joined to it logs out and reconstructed when somebody logs in.

I'm less certain regarding circle and guild channels. I'm pretty sure those persist if none of their members is logged in but I'm less sure if they keep their channel id across a server restart. Considering how circles lack any sort of order it wouldn't surprise me if they cycled.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Stars:
+13
Must have? The range limits on chat and emotes. That makes Killroy invaluable, and Thayd bearable. If I get to pick another, it's being able to set my own colors for each chat channel. That makes the rest of the chatter bearable. ^ ^

ETA: Oh wait, is cross-faction chat still a thing? I don't knowingly use that myself, but if that can be carried forward, it certainly should be.
Posted Oct 26, 15 · Last edited Oct 26, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
The range limit is definitely one of the key features!
Cross faction chat is another one of the features I've really enjoyed.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+545
wrote:
The range limit is definitely one of the key features!
Cross faction chat is another one of the features I've really enjoyed.

adding to that, I love being able to imbed /emotes into lines of text using the {}
C73Xtir.jpg
Posted Oct 26, 15
Star
List
Undo
Range limit, channel colors (this one is huge for me!, post splitting, and xfaction chat are the only features I use.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Ravil Benefactor
Stars:
+297
In addition to everything covered above, I find the font size options to be nigh-invaluable for preventing eyestrain during long RP sessions.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Star
List
Undo
Personally I like the emote-dialogue-ooc-mentions blending, and cross-faction chat, and the range/occlusion is kinda neat, being able to resize text. I'm trying out the alias option tonight. I think one thing I'd like to see if possible is dialogue in quotation marks get called out into the chat bubble option. Chat bubble only works without blending, it looks like, using /say. I love this addon.
Commissions. I do them.

Portfolio | DevArt | Tumblr
Posted Oct 26, 15 · Last edited Oct 26, 15
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Oh, I'm actually unsure if it's Killroy, but I'm gonna guess it is: I really like the feature where it tells me when someone mentions me! It makes it a lot easier to not miss people talking to you if you have several chats active.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Stars:
+110
Chatlinks is the name-pinger

I recommend Chatsplitter, personally. I prefer how it functions, but some folks prefer the killroy interface /shrug.
Posted Oct 26, 15
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices