WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 2

[Addon] [In Development] OKNexus!

13 replies
Stars:
+386
OKNexus is an idea that myself and a few others have been rolling around. One of the original ideas behind PDA was that it was an in character system, a social media type device. Unfortunately, changes on the game's backend don't allow it to work anymore. It was too demanding on the system and caused crashes. Now, it would simply not send any of the information regularly enough to be useful.

OKNexus takes its inspiration from the website OKCupid. OKCupid, for those who have never used it, uses personality questions to place you on scales to allow matching. It's While we won't be matchmaking, these types of setups can tell a lot about a character with a small data footprint. The plan is to implement a Myers-Briggs test your character would take.

In addition to personality, we can make use of the actual character creation info to create a physical profile using descriptors tied to your species. (For instance the big bottom choice for Granok ladies may say: Junk in the Trunk) It will be up to use in the community to document all the options and create descriptors.

Aside from this slimmer description system (All of which will be optional), we will be implementing custom name and title fields. The last feature will be tied here to WSRP. There will be a special forum and format for a character sheet thread. By following the specific format, we can add a link to your character sheet that will be easy to transmit over the very tiny communications tubes.

Now the questions you all have, how will this not get throttled to hell when encountering people. Well, the plan is to have a versioning system and only check it once per day when you encounter someone. This setup may change a bit but should stop consistent polling. Yes, it will limit your ability to change your in game attributes (Name and titles) constantly, but will allow for a simple profiling addon.

This is not a simple project. I have posted this thread as a way to crowdsource some work. This will also serve as a place for people to learn about addon development. I will post code snippets and explanations to help you all become familiar with Lua and the game's API.

Part 1
Gathering info for the personality test and descriptions for the physical attributes (eye & hair colors, body types, etc.) For example, some granok eye colors may be Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby, Sapphire, and Onyx.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 18, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+63
I like the idea. A lot. I'm just curious as to the intended purpose of this add-on, especially with LFRP perhaps doing a similar thing (finding like-minded people)? Or is it just for "proof of concept" sorta thing?

Either way, I'm very curious to see how this all shakes down.
kaelsig-wildstar.png
If your wounds are frightening, just call Pink Lightning!
Posted Oct 18, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
The goal of this is to act as a spiritual replacement of PDA - so you can click on someone and get information on them, while trying to avoid the ICC Comm problems of PDA.

LFRP finds other RPers near you and flags them, which is great! However there is no profile aspect of it.
Posted Oct 18, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+32
I really like how this could easily be seen as in universe, in character app. Those type of Addons are my favorite, that way Moko can say to people "Wait yer aren't on OKNexus?".
Posted Oct 18, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+63
wrote:
The goal of this is to act as a spiritual replacement of PDA - so you can click on someone and get information on them, while trying to avoid the ICC Comm problems of PDA.

LFRP finds other RPers near you and flags them, which is great! However there is no profile aspect of it.

Aaaah, I getcha now! Sort of a conversation starter thingy. Nice!

I am even more curious to find out how this goes! :d
Posted Oct 18, 15
Stars:
+208
While I'm not able right now, I think it would be nice to start an open Google Docs page to get all the suggestions for each race and characteristic, just to keep it more organized from the get-go.
Posted Oct 18, 15
Ender ao
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Online on Site
I love the idea of this as an IC thing too!
I think this sounds great in general.
Regarding the physical aspect, and I'm just pondering here, is it necessary to list a description based on the character settings? If it picks it from the character settings, then people can just look at my character to see that her eyes are "blue", rather than having to read it in a description?

That being said, if it's treated as a potentially IC thing, hey, it definitely can add some flavor! And I'm not against it at all, I'm just unsure if I feel it necessarily adds anything that you can't just look at the character to see. But of course, that doesn't mean it can't be valuable!

Overall, sounds like a super solid concept!
Posted Oct 18, 15
Stars:
+6
It sounds like a wonderful idea. What help can we non-programmy types do to facilitate?
Posted Oct 18, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+386
The idea for the physical description system is for when browsing at a later time. You can't make a 3D model of the character without them being in range. This could then, in theory, be fed into a system to fake a profile picture later
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 18, 15 · OP
Stars:
+386
Well, tested my theory on remote setting character look to another model fo same species / gender. No Go... :(
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 18, 15 · OP
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices