WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

Addon Request: Chat + Name Modifier

7 replies
Stars:
+2,002
Hello, addon authors. I am a person with many, many alts and I tend to frequent several channels and circles. Everyone pretty much knows me by my forum name, though not a lot recognize my character names - which is, in all honesty, to be expected. Anywho, I remember in WoW there used to be an addon that would allow you to add your moniker/nickname/whatever next to your name.

For instance:
[wsrp - 1] Inquisitor Wilhelm: Hello, I'm Pyra

becomes:
[wsrp - 1] Inquisitor Wilhelm (Pyra): Hello, I'm Pyra.

Where the part in yellow is the modification.

Would this be feasible for addons like Chatsplitter or Killroy? Would it work in public channels or circles?
mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Oct 15, 15 · OP · Last edited Oct 15, 15
Star
List
Undo
Ender ao
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Online on Site
That would be really useful. I'm testing out different characters to see what I enjoy playing the most, so keeping a set nick name would go a long way in helping people figure out who I am.
Posted Oct 15, 15
Stars:
+106
... until someone picks up your Identity (by setting their Addon-Nickname to yours) and starts doing crazy stuff in chats and you have the explaining to do. An addon like this could easily be abused by trolls, just saying. (And I know it, got a little troll-blood in my veins as well :p)

The idea is nice, but also I think - as it would add formatted text to the chat - this would only work properly if everyone uses it.
People without the addon would probably see something like:
[Inquisitor Willhelm] #CustomAddTag_UserNick='Pyra'#ColorSet(@UserNick)#EndColorSet Hello I'm Pyra

(I don't know LUA Syntax, but I'm pretty sure this would be an issue)

So I think it's rather troublesome to do and quite easy to abuse, for a function that is already implemented ingame, somewhat -> I add people that need/want to know all my alts to AccountFriends.
fsigb.gif
Verena Priscus | Celia Donovan | Fiora Sanchez | Dezzra Pyreskull Jabbit EU (Dominion)
"The end is justified by being mean. Or something like that."
Posted Oct 15, 15 · Last edited Oct 15, 15
Stars:
+2,002
Using it for trolling would only prove that person IS a troll and shouldn't really be acknowledged by the community, but that's a whole discussion for some other thread. Either way, I imagine using the account name would be a way to circumvent it, too.

Considering that most (but not all) of the community uses either Chatsplitter or Killroy, I don't think it would be a huge issue.

As for Account Friends, I do not like using this feature unless it's someone I know. Sometimes I want to be able to hide away on Alts without being bothered.
mHbU0UF.png

Posted Oct 15, 15 · OP
Stars:
+275
I could add a "prepend to chat line" section to Killroy. I already do that with the RP chat marker "{*}". As it's setup right now, if you enable RP only for a channel, every chat you send get's that marker prepended. The big annoyance would be that you'd want to do it on a channel by channel basis and that's one more button to add to the chat channel options, which is already quite packed. However, it wouldn't require those receiving the message to have any special software installed, because it would add it to the actual text of the message.

Now, is this a feature that enhances roleplay? No. I would say not. It's inherently an OOC convenience tool. I have a couple of those in queue already. A user has requested hiding of the chat windows during combat. Another has request "abbreviated" channel names. All are pretty valid Quality of Life style changes. Which means, I'll get to them... eventually. When I have time. Today? No.
3462105.jpg
Posted Oct 15, 15 · Last edited Oct 15, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+106
Just saying. I remember the time in WOW before Blizz added a line-based offset to chatlines.
You could just pretend that someone else was typing simply by posting a simple message, adding enough whitespaces to fill the line before the break and add the character tag.
Typing something like:
Hello people! _______________________________ [Pyra]: F* off, I hate you!

Would end up in chat window looking like this:
[Verena]: Hello people!
[Pyra]: F* off, I hate you!

People were going haywire with this, just for fun, but I know of someone who got kicked out of their guild because someone was posting messages in their name when they were afk.

People are a-holes.
Especially online.

Saying "If they abuse it, they're bad people" is one side of the coin.
I'm more on the other side, that says "People are bad, don't give them tools to abuse".
And that's not misanthropic.
It's experience.

I'll stick with AccountFriends, though, gives me more control over who knows my alts. :d
If you're posting your Account-Name in chat everyone knows who you are. ANd if you turn it off, no-one knows. I don't like all/none options :d
But I guess that's personal taste.

Just wanted to state that if you use something like that, be cautious.
People will abuse it.
fsigb.gif
Verena Priscus | Celia Donovan | Fiora Sanchez | Dezzra Pyreskull Jabbit EU (Dominion)
"The end is justified by being mean. Or something like that."
Posted Oct 16, 15
Stars:
+2,002
Quote:
Now, is this a feature that enhances roleplay? No. I would say not. It's inherently an OOC convenience tool. I have a couple of those in queue already. A user has requested hiding of the chat windows during combat. Another has request "abbreviated" channel names. All are pretty valid Quality of Life style changes. Which means, I'll get to them... eventually. When I have time. Today? No.

I'm not asking if this is something that can be done immediately, I'm just wondering if it can be done and the involvement it would take.
mHbU0UF.png

Posted Oct 16, 15 · OP
Stars:
+275
Doctor Kristoff , The insertion itself is trivial. The non-trivial part is adding it to the interface, tracking it on a per channel basis, etc.

I'm not so concerned about abuse, because I would control exactly how it prepends and what would prepend. I can strip out special characters with my regex, and I already control the color it's going to display, so the concerns about spoofing are well intention-ed, but I think avoidable in this case.

What I'll do is this. I've currently still have Killroy's 1.7 branch open, waiting to see if anything blows up with the last build. Assuming it doesn't, I'll merge it into the master and open up 1.8 on a new branch. This, the windows thing and the abbreviated channels will go in on that branch as I have time and I'll feature lock it so that's all that will go in on that branch as of now. That means in the next update of Killroy, this will be an option for you in some form.
3462105.jpg
Posted Oct 16, 15 · Last edited Oct 16, 15
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices