WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

[Guide] Chatsplitter, clean and simple RP chat

7 replies
Stars:
+110
Chatsplitter is an RP add-on developed by Sylyss Valesius. You can download it HERE.

What does Chatsplitter do?
--automatically colors /e text using orange color and white for text marked by "", making RP dialogue within emotes very easy to read
--allows you to color each and every channel separately, and remembers the color /by name/, so even if your channels scramble, they will retain their color. This is done with a double command: /[channelname] /setcolor
Example: My WSRP channel ingame is /2 -- to change my WSRP color I would enter "/2 /setcolor" as a single command. This opens the color selector. (yes, you can restore to default at any time)
--MOST UNIQUE: chatsplitter takes long emotes and not only auto-wraps them for you, but also /re-merges/ the multi-posts together on your client display, so you see a single, clean, properly formatted post! As a result, Chatsplitter effectively removes the character-limiter from the game's chat interface.
--translates cross-faction speech. Marks faction-translated speech with a [t] so you can tell at-a-glance if that person using /s at Scorchwing to gather raid members if Exile or Dominion if you're the other.
--able to LOCK VISIBLE custom chat channels: some people never have a problem with this, but some of us have our custom channels (like WSRP) constantly turn themselves off. With a simple /2 /lock command, Chatsplitter /forces/ the channel ON with every login, ensuring you never miss a chat-post. NOTE: it's VERY forceful, it WILL turn the channel on across all of your tabs.
--if you ever forget these commands or what channels you colored/locked, entering /chatsplitter at any time will pull up a summary of the commands AND your current chosen preferences so you can refresh yourself super-easily.

Why not use Killroy?
--Chatsplitter is far more 'fire and forget'. You never have to touch any settings for it to just /work/. No font issues, no range issues, Chatsplitter just does its job immediately on /reloadui after install.
--Killroy's range-band limiter is the only feature Chatsplitter doesn't also have. I personally never used this anyway, but if the range-band is your main requirement, stick with Killroy.
--Killroy and Chatsplitter are generally mutually exclusive. Killroy manipulates the interface code more than chatsplitter does, so they usually end up breaking each other when they're both installed.

How do I install Chatsplitter?
--You can use the Curse client to acquire it, but I personally recommend avoiding the Curse client for computer-security concerns. Here's how you install a Wildstar add-on without the Curse client.

1) make sure 'hidden' files/folders are visible. Open a folder > click View menu > locate 'hidden items' checkbox > check
2) Navigate to this location on your C: drive-- Users/[yourcomputerusernamehere]/AppData/Roaming/NCsoft/Wildstar/Addons
3) If there is no 'addons' folder, create one with that exact spelling of name.
4) Open the 'addons' folder
5) Also open the extracted folder for your chosen addon
6) move the files/folders from the extracted folder to the 'addons' folder
7) /reloadui ingame or boot game
8) confirm addon is loading in the addons menu within Wildstar (filter by the dots on the left, inactive will pull to the top)

Enjoy using Chatsplitter!
Posted Oct 4, 15 · OP · Last edited Oct 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+110
UPDATE: Chatsplitter's latest release NOW has a range-limiter! It fades out /s and /e beyond whatever range you select!

/csocclusion ## (## is the meter range you desire)
/csocclusion 0 (zero) to toggle off
Posted Oct 6, 15 · OP
How does Chatsplitter work in conjunction with Chatlinks? I'm getting tired of Killroy losing colors.
Posted Oct 9, 15
Stars:
+110
I /believe/ Chatlinks has been updated to no longer have trouble with chatsplitter, but I am not certain. I don't use chatlinks myself, but I know the chatsplitter developer previously submitted a code-fix to the chatlinks dev that would help with a previous version's compatibility issue, and I believe it was implemented at that time. With the F2P updates, I'm not sure if that's still accurate.
Posted Oct 9, 15 · OP
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
Emotes are still broken by ChatLinks. If I remember how I fixed it before I'll send it to the author.

Another thing that Chatsplitter doesn't do is fix the braindamage known as Line Fade. I've reported why the stock Chat is not honoring the setting. As a workaround turn off NPC chat bubbles. I have a very crude addon that forces it off. If I get some spare cycles I'll clean it up and put it on Curse.
Posted Oct 10, 15
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
Hrm... fixing ChatLinks is a little bit more complicated than I thought. The way it handles Mentions strips the color encoding that Killroy and Chatsplitter do for the say and emote channels. Url handling is fine.
Posted Oct 10, 15
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
Well. I was able to get CL to insert its Mention links without clobbering the rest of the line buuuuuut... Neither Killroy nor Chatsplitter deal with links (even item links) embedded within a colored block:
(( this is a test http://example.com ))
*hands Kitty a mead*
"Hi Kitty!"

Will color the link but revert the rest to the channel's base color. Not sure how much work it'll take to work around that.
Posted Oct 11, 15
Stars:
+75
Only just now saw these bug reports, Cogohi.

Will see what I can do to make it respect links and mentions inside a colorized block. Should not be a problem, I don't think.
(Dominion) Sylyss Dalakan of House Dalakan

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
Posted Oct 28, 15
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices