WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 2

[Guide] Technical Issues and Server Stability

14 replies
Stars:
+63
All I need is a nod that they're working on a thing and I'm good. As MMO launches go, this is about average for me. There's other games to busy myself with in the meanwhile. It's aaaaaall gravy, yo. :3
kaelsig-wildstar.png
If your wounds are frightening, just call Pink Lightning!
Posted Oct 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
It's kind of like this:

flubber.jpg

If something doesn't work, the whole thing can be impacted.

PLEASE, PLEASE give the devs your patience and caring, the same as we give each other in the WSRP community!
Posted Oct 1, 15 · Last edited Oct 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+30
While I am no tech genius, the person who described the hundreds of bottles and damned devil water hit the nail on the head. It just takes time tweaking everything in a live environment. There's no way to anticipate the kind of crazy that happens during game launches. So, I would caution players from thinking any thing was rushed or released prematurely in this case.

Open BETAs are like stress tests. Unfortunately, not many people who want new cool stuff are willing to be guinea pigs. So when launch comes around (in this case relaunch) game developers have to expect the unexpected. The sheer number of old players and new players is always more than anticipated. It always causes stress on the servers (mega or not) and always gets resolved.

With a relaunch you are also dealing with old data /code by way of current players & past players. It's easier to run smoothly if everyone begins at the starting line with the same fresh codes. That's also why you see issues with expansion launches. Those issues also always get resolved.

From what I've personally experienced this week and from what I have heard others have experienced this week (the lag, character creation errors, missing items, etc.) the issues are all quite fixable. Keep in mind it's only been since the 29th and today is the 1st. That's almost 3 days which in reality isn't that long. Slow and steady results are actually good in this case. Expect them to fix one problem at a time.
Posted Oct 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+321
I do wish we could get more info on the systems they use. It sounds fascinating. Makes me wish I stuck with computer science as a major.
Posted Oct 1, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
I do wish we could get more info on the systems they use. It sounds fascinating. Makes me wish I stuck with computer science as a major.

Elkhan, you might have fun browsing the Ryzom Core source code:
Ryzom Core is the open-source project related to Ryzom Game. Written in C++, Ryzom Core contains the whole code (client, server, tools) used to make the commercial MMORPG Ryzom. Ryzom Core is a toolkit for the development of massively multiplayer online universes. It provides the base technologies and a set of development methodologies for the development of both client and server code.

Poking around in it there isn't anything I see that is super accessible as is, but there is also the Ryzom Core Wiki that describes some of the systems that make a client-server style MMORPG work.

I've been personally really curious about HeroCloud, which is the $99/year cloud-based version of the MMO engine that Bioware used for SWTOR. It might be fun to get some people and fool around with content creation for an MMORPG style thing that totally sucks, but would be also totally educational!
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Oct 1, 15
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices