Open Chat in New Window

[Resources] Chat Scroll

5 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Hi guys!

I figured with F2P about to hit, what better time than to make a guide on how to deal with chat scroll?

What kind of ways do you handle chatscroll? How do you manage it? Have you found anything that works well for you? Share!

For me:

1) I have two windows on my screen - an OOC window for circles and WSRP, and an IC window for say, emote, and whisper. This weeds out the amount of reading I have to do in a scene or skimming to find relevant stuff.

2) With Killroy during busy scenes, I reduce the say range down, which helps reduce the scroll too

3) With Chatlinks, it alerts you when someone says your name! This is super useful for me. Most emotes will have a character's name or character's nickname in it.

4) I pull the chat window longer (just started this one) - This makes for less scrolling and seperates it a little neater between who posts each emote.
Posted Sep 28, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Pep, how do you get Killroy and Chatlinks to play well together? They both modify the base carbine chat addon, and when I try them together, I lose my formatting from Killroy.
Remarus Locke @ Entity - Explorer, Owner of the Skyglade Lodge.
Member of Idle Drifters, an RP/PVE guild.
Posted Sep 28, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
Basically, you don't.

The next version of Killroy (which Scriptorium holefully will push to Curse soon?) will contain Mention Highlighting in RP channels, so no need for Chatlinks for that.. :)
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Sep 28, 15 · Last edited Sep 28, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
wrote:
The next version of Killroy (which Scriptorium holefully will push to Curse soon?) will contain Mention Highlighting in RP channels, so no need for Chatlinks for that.. :)

While nice* the mention thing isn't Chatlinks' main feature. The ability for it to detect web links and export it to the system clipboard is too useful to give up.

I fixed it once and described what I had to do to Chatlinks' maintainer but it was never incorporated. Next time I muck with it I'll send him the actual code change.

* Now imagine if one of your names is "Kitty". The fool thing was bleeping non-stop when the box promotion landed :lol: Thankfully it lets me filter out first and/or last name mentions per channel.
Posted Sep 28, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
Cogohi: If you manage to fix chatlinks again, you might wanna send us a copy or put it on github or such, as that'd be awesome ofc.. : ) do you roughly remember what you did to fix it?
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Sep 28, 15
Stars:
+168
Hrm. The only comment I made on CL's curse page was just to report the problem, oh well. IIRC the formatting is fine for things in /say but get borked in /emote so I added /say's format preserving code to /emote.
Posted Sep 28, 15
NoticeNotices