WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

[Resources] Creating RP!

4 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
I wanted to create a resource for people interested in starting events, circles, plotlines, what have you - Really I'd like to create a hard and fast guide!

What are some good sources you've found for creating RP? Any anecdotes or lessons you've learned? Anything you use for inspiration to help you make events engaging and interesting?

For me: I've learned that rewarding RP doesn't really need to be plots or events, but prompts. RPing at its core is writing a character - The purpose of this other stuff is what is my character doing? If I say "My character is at a night club" - We know the prompts that go into a nightclub - Music, dancing, drinking, socializing.

If I say "Come out to Farside", that's not really a prompt but a location. If I say "I'm hunting for asteroids on Farside", that kind of evokes more - OK, my character is looking for rocks in space! Why? What motivation can I do? How would they do that?

What other things have you discovered that you want to share?
Posted Sep 17, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+43
i've been an improv RPer, setting everything i had in stone after the actions were done, but of course with this, i thought about how my characters are before setting anything in :)
11.jpg

*Erallia Valiantheart/ Sacrielle Gloomveil
Posted Sep 17, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+208
Honestly? Saying nothing more than, "My plot is always open for visitors and roleplay". If you create it, they will come!
So those are some of my thoughts from the bathtub.
Posted Oct 27, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+12
Quote:
If I say "Come out to Farside", that's not really a prompt but a location. If I say "I'm hunting for asteroids on Farside", that kind of evokes more - OK, my character is looking for rocks in space! Why? What motivation can I do? How would they do that?

Good point. I've actually gotten help by "advertising an RP way" of helping me with a quest. I think it was actually on farside as well. This was after repeated attemps of simply asking for questhelp had failed.
Posted Nov 13, 15
Stars:
+109
While I love watching the improves go at it, you guys are fun to see RP... I've found that 'get up and go' doesn't work for everyone. It's also not easy for everyone to just 'walk-up', but if you want to help OTHERS leap on into RP I have experience with that!

1 - Have something others can join in and jump out of easily: It's always easier to join a one-shot than it is to hop on board to a full blown campaign. Have a hook that gives people a lot of angles to join your crew in their epic adventures! You want something that allows for some air holes. Not everyone can be there every inch of the long road. Allow for that. No one likes their character getting locked on place.

2 - Don't worry if things are not huge: Everything starts small. You don't get an entire ocean over night, so don't expect that your story is going to suddenly have 10+ people. If you do, awesome, but keep in mind that three or four people can create just as epic a story... And you can easily pick up more on the way!

3 - Have fun! Talk to your people and find out what they want out of the story! Do what makes you smile! Enjoy your story and it will blossom and grow into a glorious plot. It takes time and dedication, so be prepared to toil a bit. However, any storyteller will tell you that it's rewarding and fun if you do it right! Never lose the fun factor. This is a game after all!~

That's it really. Those are the 3 major things I would tell anyone looking to start a plotline or lead a guild story or event chain. It's hard, yes... Lot of love and work go into it... But the fun and friends is worth all of the time!
"Sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another form of evil."
"To defeat evil.. I shall become a greater form of evil."
Posted Nov 13, 15
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices