WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 6

Add-on Request!

50 replies
Stars:
+168
The API already tells you who didn't get the message. But BadThings™ happen if you hit throttling so the trick is to design the application's protocol layer to minimize or eliminate it if possible.
Posted Oct 7, 15
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Ah, yea, I have absolutely no idea how to work with the API or write addons. I've got some slightly higher than basic programming concepts in my head, but those were from courses nearly eight years ago.
Remarus Locke @ Entity - Explorer, Owner of the Skyglade Lodge.
Member of Idle Drifters, an RP/PVE guild.
Posted Oct 7, 15
Stars:
+275
Thought, and this may seem silly, but the issue with the profile addons in W* has always been 50lbs of stuff being jammed into a 2lb bag. It's why I wrote LFRP the way I did. It sends one enum, that's it. So wouldn't it make more sense to send a url to a wiki that would hold the data? Then you could edit it off line, you could put in as much as you like, you could control the format, etc. Require all the entries you send to be tinyurl redirects, shrink it to minimum characters required. No, it wouldn't be available in game, but it would seem that the ICCommLib simply isn't going to handle that much traffic gracefully. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Posted Oct 13, 15 · Last edited Oct 13, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
I had heard that something was in the works (again). Is this "off-again"?

I've already offered to get LookAtMe or a workalike into shape but there didn't seem to be a lot of interest.
Posted Oct 13, 15
Stars:
+386
I'm working on LookAtMe. I'm having problems with a flood of stuff on load. I'm going to have to set a timer delay. Right now, it will always throw an error on first log in.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 13, 15
Stars:
+386
On a side note, you can edit the list of people offline by editing your saved variables. If you know characters are RPers, you can manually add them to the table. This will save some of the load in.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 13, 15
Stars:
+2
Why does it seem extremely annoying/difficult to get functioning RP addons (RP status, profile, etc) in Wildstar compared to Warcraft? I don't have any real concept of how programming works aside from the bit of Python I took in high school lol, but both games use the same language, and I can't really wrap my head around the disparity in difficulty.

Would it be possible for an RP addon to provide a clickable link to a character profile (specifically one hosted here, for ease?) and a toggleable RP status? In my mind that seems the simplest option but I know NOTHIIIING.
Posted Oct 16, 15
Stars:
+168
wrote:
Why does it seem extremely annoying/difficult to get functioning RP addons (RP status, profile, etc) in Wildstar compared to Warcraft? I don't have any real concept of how programming works aside from the bit of Python I took in high school lol, but both games use the same language, and I can't really wrap my head around the disparity in difficulty.

Where WoW has had millions of players WS's active population is likely measured in the hundreds of thousands. Assume that both have the same fraction that both RP and code. Where in WoW there are maybe 40-400 people that are both interested and capable of taking on such a project, here there are about 4.

The last time I poked at some WoW addons their inter-client comms allowed for a higher volume of information to be shared than WS's post Drop5 API.

wrote:
Would it be possible for an RP addon to provide a clickable link to a character profile (specifically one hosted here, for ease?) and a toggleable RP status? In my mind that seems the simplest option but I know NOTHIIIING.

That should be within the current capabilities of the comms limitations. Just be forewarned that link sharing only exports to the system clipboard, you'll have to paste that into the browser yourself.
Posted Oct 16, 15
Stars:
+275
Renhet , To summarize, ICComm is the library of specialized chat channels that is used for inter-addon communication and its bandwidth does not allow for the throughput required. That's it in a nutshell. WoW uses hidden chat channels to do the same thing, and while we could implement avoiding ICComm in this way, I suspect it would just be moving the problem around. The chat engine in wildstar can't handle the throughput required. It has nothing to do with the language (LUA). It has everything to do with the backend supporting it.

As for "nothing" being available, there's two addons current out there to facilitate your RP hook up. There's mine, LFRP and there's TB's, LookAtMe. Olivar's Cozmo is still in development. TB's a professional. I'm a dabbler. We've both devoted our free time, sans pay to it for months. Not to mention all the time TB spent trying to shoehorn PDA through ICComm. So saying nothing's available... kind of tweaks me off.
3462105.jpg
Posted Oct 16, 15 · Last edited Oct 16, 15
Stars:
+386
I've been using LFRP myself. May see about getting with Script to add an over head tag when close enough, or some other visual indicator.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Oct 16, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices