Addon Commission: Chat Addon

7 replies
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Discussed it a bit in chatroom, but a bit of the basics:

I'm looking for an addon that would basically do the following:

1) A chat addon in game that lets people talk in a specific channel/venue among each other
2) That can be moderated / Appoint moderators
3) That exceeds current circle limits of 100 people

**Bonus Points for XFac**

Really the goal here is simple - Let us all be able to talk to each other in game while still enforcing our Code of Conduct here for anyone who wants to join and participate. I think this will help connect a lot of the specific groups together - The smaller guilds, people who are intimidated by bad experiences from in game channel, etc.

So first, is this something that can be done feasibly? What information would you need?
Posted Sep 3, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+82
Okay, as discussed in chat:

This is basically what any channel for you can do.
You can also secure a channel with a password and appoint moderators to it normally.
This can also be done with Addons, but there's one big issues with it:

If people figure out how to fiddle with the Addon settings, they can obtain mod rights themselves, making the whole things pointless.

My suggestion would be an improved chat addon that actually shows the channel options better and has dedicated tabs etc for dealing with these channels.
Also more buttons etc to deal with channel settings and permissions.
Posted Sep 3, 15
Stars:
+275
Not sure how WS behaves, but most in game Chat APIs (looking at you WoW) do a poor job of this. Moderation and Ownership aren't fixed to a user, but pass based on channel seniority when a moderator or owner logs out. I'd have to check functionality in game to see, but if it works like this your ability to control who has power in a channel is minimal and if a troll or drama llama gets it, you have a whole new problem.
3462105.jpg
Posted Sep 3, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Just confirming what Script said, I know that in WS, it does give ownership based on channel seniority.

That's one of the reasons we haven't really used the channels before in this capacity
Posted Sep 3, 15 · OP
Stars:
+168
Channel ownership can be explicitly passed on by the current channel owner and I'm pretty sure you can grant assistant privs to additional people. The challenge is to get 24x7 coverage -and- have at least somebody friendly to the moderation team be the first to join the channel after a server restart.

Situations where somebody cannot or will not hand over ownership can be worked around by migrating to a temporary channel until primary ownership is resolved. Obviously that's quite painful to manage but that is something an addon can automate.
Posted Sep 3, 15
Stars:
+181
I know that Discord is currently working on better game integrations, including an in game overlay and game account integration. It can already detect what game you're playing while using it. There was talk of seeing if the API would allow the creation of an in game client.

Unfortunately, it's currently just an app, and the fact that it advertises itself as a voice service (it's a text service! Really!) has turned a lot of people off.
Posted Sep 3, 15
Stars:
+168
Addons are difficult enough to socialize to new people. At least the RP community is used to running RP support addons so it's not much of a hard sell to our community. An overlay based chat client should have all the appropriate permissions and features needed to support a large community but those are pretty much a non-starter for a lot of folks since you'd need to launch a separate program.

(( And waaaay off topic. I urge you to do some due diligence on Discord. IMO their funding model is naive to the point of insanity and there are some clauses in their EULA that ensure that crap will never see one packet of my home network. ))
Posted Sep 3, 15
Stars:
+386
If the game eventually comes up on Steam, a Steam Community could be a good solution as well. That overlay is familiar to many / most PC gamers.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Sep 3, 15
NoticeNotices