WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

[Exile][NA] "So, uh, does anyone speak Eldan?"

7 replies
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
I've got a bit of a dilemma. My little modified Eldan Probe, Nine, may have tried to kill me last week, and I'm planning on taking him to someone next week to be 'reprogrammed.' I ended up discussing it with a friend, and I want to make sure I'm making the right choice here... I need to make sure my little bot doesn't actually have an AI.

I recently had a local shop (Nardazil's, for anyone wondering) perform an upgrade that added a camera functionality to it, and ever since, it's been acting... odd. For example: Prior to the upgrade, all Nine ever did was follow me around and beep when I was in a potentially dangerous situation. Since, however, it has gone off on its own to chassis-slam a sniper out of its roost, it chooses when to take pictures on its own instead of when I activate the command on my datachron, and I'm pretty sure it tried to murder me by breaking my cover around some Falkrin.

But strangest of all are the glyphs. Here, lemme show you.
tumblr_ntjnciltoH1ue87bxo5_1280.png This is a photo from our latest T.E.N. Expedition, it's got the standard stuff you expect from a bot lens, bit of green, ect. BUT...

tumblr_ntjnciltoH1ue87bxo2_1280.png
In THIS photo, there's little eldan-ish glyphs in the bottom left.

They don't show up on every photo, but they do show up enough to draw my interest. Is this just a categorization system? Or is this thing trying to communicate with me?

Here's an image dump of the ones I've noticed with these glyphs so far, anyone feel like helping me take a crack at this?
Remarus Locke @ Entity - Explorer, Owner of the Skyglade Lodge.
Member of Idle Drifters, an RP/PVE guild.
Posted Sep 3, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+25
I dont speak eldan but I've been compiling what little code I can glean from various sources for a multitude of reasons of which I assure you are very boring and not worth asking about

however

might be able to finagle why your flying probe is summarily Doing the Thing

depends on if it has metaphorical kittens if you suggest cracking it open like an eld-egg tho

also have the contact info of a technopath if that tickles your terrible fancy

--greyhatgrismaran
Posted Sep 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+30
Ah, Mister Locke. It's good to see that at the very least, Nine is still functioning, even if he is doing so improperly. Looking at things, history would suggest that you might actually be correct in worrying about some sort of self awareness from the little thing. Not to mention your examples listed... Though there are a myriad of explanations other than that, so perhaps it would be best if you bring him in for an inspection.
Personally, I am a tad loathe to assume that Verissandra wired something incorrectly within Nine whilst installing the upgrade, but it is possible that it might be the case. However, what is more likely is that the upgrade is simply interacting with the Eldan technology in an unexpected fashion, as we hardly have a proper understanding of how such might react to newer ones.

It may simply be that the transmitter is simply receiving outside instruction as well, which I would think to be the most likely thing in this particular case.

As to the picture of he is taking on his own, I can hardly speak to understanding Eldan glyphs, but it's entirely possible that it's simply its the drone's internal cataloging systems. I would hardly be surprised if it was simply a way of it visualizing its habit of beeping when danger is near, with it internally displaying some sort of representation of an apparent danger level according to it's older hardware.

Either way, I look forward to seeing you in soon. I'll look into what I can find regarding this sort of issue however, do not worry, and I'll ask Verissandra regarding it as well.

- NardazilEngel@ERnS. chron
Posted Sep 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Thanks for the interest greyhatgrismaran, I'll consider my options.

Mr. Engel, I'll bring Nine along to the shop this week, but I definitely want to hold off on the reprogramming until we've explored this more. He somehow beamed another two photos to me from his Time Out Crate, and I didn't even have my datachron turned on when he took at least one of these. Both of them have the text on it as well, so I'll drop them here.

I get back from Whitevale in a day, we'll arrange something then.

tumblr_ntztepjMrn1ue87bxo1_1280.png
tumblr_ntztepjMrn1ue87bxo2_1280.png

- Rem
Posted Sep 6, 15 · OP
Stars:
+30
Mister Locke. with Miss Renloz working towards the translations of some of these images, I have no doubt that this riddle will be solved sooner rather than later. And I can safely say that I will be looking forward to trying and finding out what exactly is going on with Nine, whether it be something that requires extensive work, or merely something that requires a quick shifting of wiring.
Eldan technology can be so very finicky sometimes, even more so than some of the more ramshackle pieces we work with as part of the Exiles, after all. It may be something so simple as a minor aggression circuit being tripped by the new camera modification.

However! That is not why I am sending this message on the subject, despite my eagerness to 'talk shop' regarding it. I'm actually here to suggest a possible translation for one of the two images that you uploaded just the other day. With several hours spent pouring over a couple of more well received dissertations on the subject of the Eldan Runic Alphabet the other evening, whilst I was waiting on a delivery, along with the more steady base of Adroma's translation...
Well, I have to make the suggestion that I perhaps have another translation for the first image you uploaded the other day. It may be incorrect, but it seems to fit with what one might think if stuck in a little box for hours on end.

Spoiler: Attachment; help.jpgShow

- NardazilEngel@ERnS. chron
Posted Sep 7, 15 · Last edited Sep 7, 15
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
"Grump?" Oh that's actually kinda funny. "Help," however, is a little more concerning. I'm gonna bring over him later today and we'll take a look.

Thanks for taking the time to help solve this guys!

-Rem.Locke@Soltis. chron
Posted Sep 8, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 8, 15
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Hey folks, sorry for the radio silence! Old chron was broken and all the images were being stored there. A lot of the newer photos ended up corrupted as a result, but I did manage to get another translation out of them!

lpChKyC.png

He also took a creepy photo of me while I was sleeping, so there's that...

RW2xlQz.jpg

I feel like we're getting pretty close to cracking this! Thanks for all the help so far!

-Rem.Locke@Soltis. chron
Posted Sep 22, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
Well, I'm back from my little misadventure on Farside. While Sevena was in possession of Nine, he took some new photos, and we've got another few captions to crack!

tumblr_nw3a1d8M6q1ue87bxo8_540.png

tumblr_nw3a1d8M6q1ue87bxo3_540.png

This translation effort's been stalled lately, but we're really close to solving it, I can feel it.

-Rem.Locke@Soltis. chron
Posted Oct 12, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices