WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 2

WSRP Profile

14 replies
Stars:
+386
This is something I was working on that is similar to the WSRP Housing addon. It works with an offline database you can DL from a site (We messed with storing the data here somehow). You would DL the addon and DB separately. This way there is no need to push a new addon version for updates. The data would be output into an XML file and read into the game.

The addon would only use communications when it checked IC / OOC status.

Unfortunately, I can't do this on my own. The addon is not hard. It's the web side of stuff that I need help with.

We would need a backend that allows for entry and editing of info in the database, and a way to dump it to XML by server (and maybe faction) We'd also need a host for the DB.

Here's some screenshots of what I have done so far. Nothing is currently working as this is just the addon front end.

This RP Button will appear when you target someone in the database
k7D2ME6.png
Clicking it will show the following screen with their info. (And come F2P drop, a portrait on it without the black BG)
CjFkN6b.png
There would be a simple switch button for IC / OOC Status.

Advantages:
  • FAST, no communications system need.
  • Allows for more info (within reason)
  • XML data structure allows for other front ends or data extensions.

Disadvantages:
  • Needs web work and hosting
  • Need to update the DB yourself regularly (But could be easier with the right web head writing it)

Of all possible solutions, this one is my favorite.

Sort of working in game shot. RP Button is moveable.

0swyJMH.png
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Aug 23, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 23, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
I've been looking at how to deploy NodeJS-based webapps on Heroku for my work projects. There's a free tier that might work for testing, and after that it's a matter of paying for cycles if it's extremely popular.

ADVANTAGES
  • NodeJS and Heroku are fun environments, with plenty of libraries and how-tos available
  • There are plenty of alternatives to Heroku; you'd basically just need a NodeJS-capable webhost
  • There are interesting "NoSQL" alternatives to the database side of things with corresponding libraries.
  • Learning how to do this stuff is extremely in-demand in today's job market
  • Node uses Javascript, not PHP, so it's a bit more modern in its approach.

DISADVANTAGES
  • yet another environment to learn
  • still need user interface

From what I understand, the AddOn needs another program to pull the database XML file for it? Or can AddOns access web services directly (i.e. load an XML file from a URL)?
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Aug 23, 15
Stars:
+386
A program or a web link that can DL to a specific spot.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Aug 24, 15 · OP
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
So if I understand correctly:

1. database backend - could be Enjin custom fields, or another server hosting a database
  2. website frontend - allow authenticated editing of data on the backend
  3. webservice - provide a public API to grab formatted data from the database using http protocol
  4. local downloader - runs on host computer and periodically downloads formatted data from the webservice, in XML format or converting it on-the-fly and saves it as XML to the local filesystem in the WildStar AddOn directory
  5. AddOn can load the XML file and display information
  6. Profit!

I'll make a new thread to see if we can pool our knowledge on building this system.
Posted Aug 25, 15 · Last edited Aug 25, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
*walks in. Eyes glaze over. walks off*
Posted Aug 25, 15 · Last edited Aug 25, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+275
If it was implemented correctly, it could share to multiple games and not be limited to Wildstar. The biggest issue I see is the running something else besides the game client. That raises my security hackles. There's a few precedents, WoWHead, WoWEcon and the like which mine player data and upload it. A lot of folks though won't (wisely, IMO) run such apps.
3462105.jpg
Posted Aug 25, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
Online on Site
Instead of a separate downloader set up a side addon on Curse to hold the data file. Set up a periodic task to check for any changes (add,update,delete) and push it if so. Should be easy enough to do if github release automation is enabled.
Posted Aug 25, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Yah, the installing of an extra thing seems problematic. This is the kind of thing that makes me nervous too.

I kind of like the idea of github release automation in conjunction with Curse. This is sort of what Toggle's Housing Addon does now I think? How would that handle multiple games/authors though? Would still need to be a trusted memberbase, or someone would have to handle pull requests. I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of repo management though, so I might be missing something obvious to everyone else.

Thinking of git though, I wonder if there is some distributed differential data protocol that could be developed...it would be a nifty thing to try to implement.
Posted Aug 25, 15
Stars:
+386
My original thought was you simply go to the site and click a download link to get the current data. The XML can be reloaded whenever a UI refresh happens (as long as the file exists on log in). This mean refreshing is just a web link away.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Aug 25, 15 · OP
Stars:
+386
@Scriptorium,
Use for other game isn't advised. WIldstar is rare in allowing XML data to be loaded into Lua tables.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Aug 25, 15 · OP
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices