WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

[Spoiler for new players] Thorns of Arboria

22 replies
Stars:
+319
It is with heavy hearts we true Aurin of the Sandthorne do lay down our loyalties to the queen of the Aurin, long may she reign. We do not abandon our queen forever. Only until she understands why we must abandon this mad world beyond the Fringe and return home before it’s too late.

Even now, the Planet Reapers lay waste to the world we truly call home. This place,
this Nexus, she says it will be our new home, but how can this be? We are Aurin of Arboria. We are as the trees of the forest, and we plant deep roots. And this forest is not ours.

Our forest is many light years away, defended only by those brave souls who remained behind. The true Aurin who are, let us be frank, better than us by far. They did not give up. When the queen drove us to the ships, forced us into steel shells and metal bubbles of air that took us far away, they declared
they would remain to be “thorns in the Dominion’s side.”

Does the queen remember? Did she even hear?

So call us thorns as well – the Thorns of Arboria. And let those of us who protect the life even in places others call lifeless be called Sandthornes, like the cunning raptors of Arboria’s northern dunelands. And like the Sandthornes of our home let us be stealthy, clever, and true of purpose and intent.

We will soon be thorns again. But for now, we will be Sandthornes beneath our enemy’s feet.

********** Sandthorne Manifesto *******

The Aurin are tolerant of the industrial enterprises of other races of the Exiles as long as they do not affect Aurin lands. The Aurin eco-terrorist group The Thorns of Arboria has been known to fiercely attack any group—even Exiles—that fails to respect those lands.

+ + + + Loremaggeddon + + + + +

I don't see where it says they are hunting and killing their own kind. It just shows that they reject the Queen at this time. They don't even reject her completely.

They only attack your character in Malgrave when they side with protostar to protect them. I don't see them attaching bombs to anything other than protostar machines. I need you to give me a quote for that because it seems way off.
Posted Aug 12, 15 · Last edited Aug 12, 15
Stars:
+366
The Manifesto always leaves me scratching my head. How does any Aurin not know that Myala is choosing to keep the crown from Arboria on so that she can aid the resistance? I keep thinking something has happened somewhere that we're not being brought into the loop on with why the Thorns are questioning her so much.

It seems they'd be more pissed with Arwick than Myala really, since he's the one that convinced her to leave. I dunno, just seems like there's more to that story than we're getting.

As far as Aurin vs everyone else relations? They pretty much only tolerate everyone. They like some of them but every single race they have a problem with. The only reason they're likely putting up with any of it is because the Exiles saved their skins (even if they did cause the saving to be necessary to start with).

I think this also paints a pretty good picture of the Aurin, also from Loremageddon;
Lore wrote:
Aurin are generally welcoming to visitors within their lands, but expect those visitors to respect them. Those individuals who dare to exploit or harm the forest homes of the Aurin are dealt with swiftly and violently.

So, I think that the Thorns really are just "being Aurin". It may be extreme compared to other Aurin settlements out there but it's also under attack.
XDdjSto.png
Posted Aug 12, 15
Stars:
+238
There is one IC document that is called "The Queen's condition"

It ends with the following:
Medical conscience compels me to bring my concerns to the First Consort. The patient is too important to her people, and to us all, to allow her to go on this way. Perhaps he can convince her to do what must be done. I fear he will instead recommend they return to their homeworld, where they will surly die.

It may be that... no they don't know.

If the doctor tending to Myala doesn't tell the First Consort, how is he going to tell anyone else?
Posted Aug 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+366
It's possible, but there are so many NPCs in Everstar/Celestion that are concerned for Myala's well being that it seems hard to think that the Aurin don't realize that their queen isn't doing well. Not to mention there is that whole quest of getting things to make her medicine...

So, yeah, still going with something is missing or got left out somewhere to cause such a thing from the Thorns.
XDdjSto.png
Posted Aug 12, 15 · Last edited Aug 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+110
wrote:
It is with heavy hearts we true Aurin of the Sandthorne do lay down our loyalties to the queen of the Aurin, long may she reign. We do not abandon our queen forever. Only until she understands why we must abandon this mad world beyond the Fringe and return home before it’s too late.

Even now, the Planet Reapers lay waste to the world we truly call home. This place,
this Nexus, she says it will be our new home, but how can this be? We are Aurin of Arboria. We are as the trees of the forest, and we plant deep roots. And this forest is not ours.

Our forest is many light years away, defended only by those brave souls who remained behind. The true Aurin who are, let us be frank, better than us by far. They did not give up. When the queen drove us to the ships, forced us into steel shells and metal bubbles of air that took us far away, they declared
they would remain to be “thorns in the Dominion’s side.”

Does the queen remember? Did she even hear?

So call us thorns as well – the Thorns of Arboria. And let those of us who protect the life even in places others call lifeless be called Sandthornes, like the cunning raptors of Arboria’s northern dunelands. And like the Sandthornes of our home let us be stealthy, clever, and true of purpose and intent.

We will soon be thorns again. But for now, we will be Sandthornes beneath our enemy’s feet.

********** Sandthorne Manifesto *******

The Aurin are tolerant of the industrial enterprises of other races of the Exiles as long as they do not affect Aurin lands. The Aurin eco-terrorist group The Thorns of Arboria has been known to fiercely attack any group—even Exiles—that fails to respect those lands.

+ + + + Loremaggeddon + + + + +

I don't see where it says they are hunting and killing their own kind. It just shows that they reject the Queen at this time. They don't even reject her completely.

They only attack your character in Malgrave when they side with protostar to protect them. I don't see them attaching bombs to anything other than protostar machines. I need you to give me a quote for that because it seems way off.

Well we're both reading the same text and playing the same game, but drawing opposite conclusions, so I'll just leave it there.
Posted Aug 12, 15
Stars:
+109
As far as the concepts of IC relations, had things happened just a little differently for them, the Fen Warders would have turned into a sect of the Thorns of Arboria for the wikren like areas I'd think. A lot of them opted to stay and fight and die on Arboria, and those here now are just a small remnant to keep the bloodline alive.

Aurin, as shown through the Thorns and a few other instances, are not bunny-eared humans. Life for them has been flipped on its head, and for most have left scars that they can't even begin to comprehend. They have shown just how savage they really are through various lore books, like the 'Beyond the Fringe' series, and various quests. Let us not forget that the punishment for 'being mean' is death. Think on that: What constitutes being mean? Death is an extreme consequence for such a vague transgression we can't really measure. So really by aurin LAW technically other lawful aurin -would- hunt the Throns without too much moral dilemma. They're 'being mean'.

I don't want to completely derail this thread, cause I love where it's going. I'd just like to put in something about the 'being mean' clause. Humans have gone to war for much less. The idea that it's a law that you can be put to death for 'being mean' gives me a very strong hunch that back on Arboria they did wage war against each other. I have no doubts on that, because ideal society or not, someone isn't going to like someone else hunting on their territory if that means less food for their family. Sure, life isn't as simple now and every aurin has to work to preserve what's left of their people. However, science and technology is still fairly new to them and the idea of going extinct? I'd chance to wonder if they even understood what that truly entails. That and add the fact that the chua with their planet reapers have been known to wipe a planet clean in what, less than 10 years? Arboria is well on its way to becoming a parking lot.
"Sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another form of evil."
"To defeat evil.. I shall become a greater form of evil."
Posted Aug 13, 15 · Last edited Aug 13, 15
Star
List
Undo
Remarus Locke Benefactor
Stars:
+167
That and add the fact that the chua with their planet reapers have been known to wipe a planet clean in what, less than 10 years? Arboria is dead. (( <~~ Speculation ))

I don't have a lot to add to the thorns convo, because I'm not too sure how my character would react just yet, but I did want to clear this bit up. Someone asked Pappy what the state of Arboria was, if it was a "parking lot," his reponse was "Definitely not a parking lot yet...but getting there. Major deforestation going on."
Remarus Locke @ Entity - Explorer, Owner of the Skyglade Lodge.
Member of Idle Drifters, an RP/PVE guild.
Posted Aug 13, 15
Stars:
+238
((Arboria was confirmed as not dead by Pappy on twitter. Only as dying.

The only known case of an Aurins being executed that we know of under Aurin law was due to cruelty to jabbits on the Arkship. They were arrested and charged with cruelty to animals and were airlocked. Cruelty to animals was 'one of the few' capital offenses under Aurin law. So there's more than one. And they appear to be for specific offenses.

Under the Arborian Fables Foot note: Matria Slaughterbark of Gully flower Hollow served seventeen years for various crimes, suggesting fates other than death.

The charges of murder, plant abuse plant murder and being really mean were dropped for lack of proof. ((Which suggests that being really mean could refer to more of a personality trait than a specific offense.))

Both these cases suggest some sort of judicial system.

I feel like the 'being mean' clause is cited as an example of how Aurin will kill at the drop of the hat. However, the two examples don't really pan out as how the 'being mean' law actually works.

There are never any references to wars or battle in Arborian history. Aurin have been united since Treespeaker. Maybe there was conflict before then.

"With her newfound abilities, Ferin united the scattered Aurin communities and became the first queen, leading the Aurin into a new age of unprecedented prosperity and civilization. " -- Loremageddon

In the case of the Thorns, as was pointed out, they are in a state of War with Protostar over the fact that they are making a mess on their lands. They feel entirely justified in just offing anyone who sides with them in the ongoing desecration. In fact, the Thorns share more in common with the first consort of the Queen of Arboria, Arwick Redleaf, than anyone else.

Besides: They have a symbotic relationship with the trees. When someone kills a family member, the resulting feels aren't exactly conducive to mercy.
Posted Aug 13, 15
Stars:
+110
I'd agree with the comparison to Arwick, but the only reason Arwick ISN'T on the chopping block is how much Myala keeps in him line. He's a raging psycho otherwise.
Posted Aug 13, 15
Star
List
Undo
I was all kinds of HOLY SHIT THIS QUEST IS HORRIFYING, and decided that the meta felt right for a character change without having to retcon. Her backstory was a simple "good girl turned bad (pirate / mercenary) by trauma" trope. I had her designed as somebody who, when she woke up out of cryo, didn't care who she hurt or what anyone felt, wanted, or needed as long as she could exploit it to violently express her rage against the Ravaging by proxy. In a way, she became like the Thorns; angry and violent at everything in her way. Unlike the Thorns, she didn't give rip one about anything.

ProtoStar paid, people died.

She ran them down like animals. She chased one lone Thorn into a box canyon and melted his brain with the same nightmares she suffered while he begged and cried for his mother. She did this with neither thought nor remorse. Turning back out of the canyon, she saw her work. She saw that it looked exactly like Arboria at the end - the bodies of Aurin who gave their lives for a conviction littered around the flames and burning wreckage from her own use of explosives. She saw that her rage, her blind anger, had left behind scores of dead aurin at a time when there aren't enough free aurin left to fill a single forest, let alone an entire world.

She's been the archetypical hugs-and-happy little Aurin ever since.

Except for the functional alcoholism.
Posted Sep 9, 15 · Last edited Sep 9, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices