WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

[Spoiler for new players] Thorns of Arboria

22 replies
Stars:
+10
((Not sure if this is quite the right subforum, but I don't think it fits quite right in the forum RP either... ))

My heart always aches whenever I play through the "Thorns of Arboria" Malgrave quest line. It must be so crazy to have to kill your own race when they aren't zombies or brainwashed slaves, and I feel like this must be a first for Aurin, killing their own kind in cold blood. It's a clash of ideals! Politics! Environmentalism! Angry "hippie" furries with guns! ((I wish there were ways around the quest line, my heaaart~))

How would your aurin characters react to the quest line? I'd love to hear some stories! Maybe small snippets, maybe some cool discussion, I dunno! Tell me a story. 0w0
Posted Aug 11, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 11, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Hi there! First off, yup, this is the right subforum!

Secondly, I definitely IC never completed this questline (though OOC it's an excellent source of a challenge that gets you sparking wires! I've killed a lot of aurin in the pursuit of finishing my foosball table. . .)

For starters IC, Pep would just not do it. Siding with Protostar over other Aurin is pretty ridiculous to her. She would have a really hard time justifying that!

If she knew about other people doing it though, it'd just emotionally break her. She's not thrilled when two draken fight and hurt each other. When people are going out and killing aurin who just want to go home?

I do love the overall politics of this quest line though. I actually think it makes a lot of logical sense - Aurin who think Myala betrayed them by leaving Arboria behind and giving up. Myala under a critical eye has been a pretty bad leader. If she hadn't of helped the Crazy Space People who showed up, Arboria might be fine right now. She's kind of a cautionary tale in Don't Talk To Strangers.
Posted Aug 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+63
And you forgot about one thing: Aurin ears as loot.
Not only killing but also trophy taking too.
I kinda feel that Exiles' weakness is division and being disorganized.
Douglas Bricius (Cassian Warrior Scientist, OC and Main character)
Brigid Bree (Human Stalker Soldier, Exiles Alt and future brewery owner)
Ferg McJinti (Chua Working Class Author)
Valeria Caesarius (Fleet Officer and a Lady)
Ursula Zaros (Mordesh Medical Migrator)
Posted Aug 11, 15
Stars:
+238
Um... I would not include loot drops as lore in this case unless it was a quest item like the staves are.

ICly:

Rocio considers himself a naturalized citizen of Nexus. He thinks the Thorns are stupid idealists who don't know a good thing when they see it. That said, he knows that protostar are acting without regulation. He wouldn't kill the Thorns, but he would negotiate with Protostar to halt the mining on Aurin land. He would pay them off probably to halt operations.

Suki Stillriver would never shoot another Aurin. She doesn't hate Protostar. The teahouse gets sponsored by them. She just hates the dominion single mindedly and never loses focus on them as the real enemy.

Lamaya lives in Malgrave and welcomes the Thorns of Arboria in her home. She calls them nice young people. They help keep her safe with patrols. She also wants to return to Arboria and was not on the ship to leave. Her native tail ring and the tale of her family's decision to stay and fight earned her the respect of the Thorns without much fuss.
Posted Aug 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+281
Kintallo stared down at the three fallen Thorns Aurin with cold piercing eyes. His right fist was raised and clenched, the knuckles slightly bloody. His voice was flat as he addressed them and the other gathered Thorns.

"Learn the whole story before ya call me names 'n' accuse me of somethin'. I don't care for Protostar or what the Queen thinks, but that you preach fightin' for nature... while forcin' malverines 'n' elementals to do your battlin' for ya? Attackin' your fellow Aurin? That kind o' hypocrisy... really pisses me off."
Posted Aug 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+366
This is one of those weird things on a lot of levels. It really doesn't make sense for any Aurin to really engage them at all. Why players are somewhat forced into it, seems a little bizarro world for my tastes. It's like the Aurin willing help to torture Moodies and an Elder Tree. It's just not consistent. Sure it shows some other sides of things, but as far as an IC standpoint goes? I just ignore because it makes almost no logical sense for them to be involved it.

Now, as far as the Thorns go, Kali has friends there. She considers them to be a little brash and misguided in how they're going about things but she understands the mentality behind their actions. She also knows that Myala didn't want to leave Arboria but only did such under much duress and convincing from her consorts. Of course, not everyone would understand or know that in the chaos that was the evac most likely. Though, it's hard to fathom a little since Myala is making herself extremely ill helping the resistance from Nexus.

As Pepper said, the politics are interesting but it seems like something that maybe needs more to it for people to understand what's going on. It's just "Go here, these people are screwing up our operations!" Why the hell do we care what Protostar's troubles are? We're kind of fighting for our lives here and Protostar double dips, screw 'em. From the IC view, Kali has no love for Protostar...could care less if they get attacked for damaging the land, that's a grave offense in her book to begin with.
XDdjSto.png
Posted Aug 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+110
Don't forget that from an IC-lore Dev-intention, Aurin are guerrilla-tactic scrappers who either hate the Dominion enough to hunt them across the galaxy, OR want a new home on Nexus, and are willing to fight for it.

Eco-Terrorists like the Thorns attack ALL sides, Exiles and Dominion alike, and are blowing up 'civilians'. We may not LIKE Protostar, but they are NOT combatants in their own right.

The fact that a HUGE portion of the RP PLAYERS turned their aurin into either mostly-pascifist OR so-nature-loving they'd never hurt a sprout is something Carbine likely didn't see coming.

That said... MOST quests in the game would be difficult to explain from an IC perspective. The only character I play that I've actually realized '...yeah, he'd do this' for MOST quests is my sociopathic Chua. And he is literally DESIGNED to be a sociopath.
Posted Aug 12, 15
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Just a quick note/correction - Most aurin RPers in the game are not pacifist nor so nature loving they'd never hurt a sprout. I know of around 3-4 aurin offhand that are this way in the entire game, and most are combat competent at minimum.

Anecdotally of the 5 aurin in this thread, one of them is a pacifist.
Posted Aug 12, 15
Stars:
+319
wrote:
Don't forget that from an IC-lore Dev-intention, Aurin are guerrilla-tactic scrappers who either hate the Dominion enough to hunt them across the galaxy, OR want a new home on Nexus, and are willing to fight for it.

Eco-Terrorists like the Thorns attack ALL sides, Exiles and Dominion alike, and are blowing up 'civilians'. We may not LIKE Protostar, but they are NOT combatants in their own right.

The fact that a HUGE portion of the RP PLAYERS turned their aurin into either mostly-pascifist OR so-nature-loving they'd never hurt a sprout is something Carbine likely didn't see coming.

That said... MOST quests in the game would be difficult to explain from an IC perspective. The only character I play that I've actually realized '...yeah, he'd do this' for MOST quests is my sociopathic Chua. And he is literally DESIGNED to be a sociopath.

The Thorns Arboria act like Aurin would in protecting Nexus. The fact that they use bombs to attack protostar is in a direct response to the fact that Protostar have no regard for nature.

Most characters are pro-Thorns, not because they're pacifist... but because they're not pacifists.

The intended Lore is not that the Aurin want to chase the dominion across the galaxy. But they want to go back to Arboria, their homeworld. They are the Guardians of the Forest and generally don't care for galactic empire politics or war.

It is likely that if given the choice they would much rather abandon Nexus to the Dominion and go back home. Repeatedly, they are shown planting Arborian seeds and wishing to go back to Arboria. Or in the case of Deradune, turning Nexus into Arboria.

They are not really seen pursuing Dominion or acting particularly warlike unless the forest is threatened. In fact when invited to join Arwick in his pursuit of the Bonerazer clan, A Watcher refuses the request of the First Consort because he is only interested in protecting the forest, not pursuing the Dominion.
Posted Aug 12, 15 · Last edited Aug 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+110
wrote:
The Thorns Arboria act like Aurin would in protecting Nexus. The fact that they use bombs to attack protostar is in a direct response to the fact that Protostar have no regard for nature.

Most characters are pro-Thorns, not because they're pacifist... but because they're not pacifists.

The intended Lore is not that the Aurin want to chase the dominion across the galaxy. But they want to go back to Arboria, their homeworld. They are the Guardians of the Forest and generally don't care for galactic empire politics or war.

It is likely that if given the choice they would much rather abandon Nexus to the Dominion and go back home. Repeatedly, they are shown planting Arborian seeds and wishing to go back to Arboria. Or in the case of Deradune, turning Nexus into Arboria.

They are not really seen pursuing Dominion or acting particularly warlike unless the forest is threatened. In fact when invited to join Arwick in his pursuit of the Bonerazer clan, A Watcher refuses the request of the First Consort because he is only interested in protecting the forest, not pursuing the Dominion.

It is specifically stated that the Thorn hunt and kill their own people who aren't 'militant enough' to attack and destroy anyone threatening the environment.

Yes, there is a large chunk of the lore Aurin who just want to go home.

The Thorns are specifically portrayed as antagonistic to both sides, a third-party that will kill-on-sight anyone not supporting their specific effort. So unless you would literally ICly firebomb protostar for them, they'd try to kill you.

They're not a sympathetic group, they're extremists.
Posted Aug 12, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices