WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window

Learning-to-Program Resources!

3 replies
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Thinking about learning how to program? Well, this thread is for resources that are a little more fun than buying some dusty book filled with boring examples about philosophers and their forks. While this isn't directly related to writing Add-Ons for WildStar, it's one of the first steps if you've never programmed before!

SCREEPS

I came across this mention of Screeps, which apparently uses Javascript in an "MMORTS" sandbox. You use Javascript to program yer critters and watch them do things against other players. I haven't personally tried it, but I thought it was worth mentioning! Here's their website. I'm thinking it would be a good introduction thinking about programming in a game-like environment; getting used to the idea of calling methods attached to objects is handy when it comes to modern procedural programming!

Here's a video!

I'm looking forward to poking around with it when it comes out.
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Aug 10, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 10, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+386
Here's a sorta Lua primer I made. It covers variable types.
Also is a template Lua file based on the one in Houston, but with other important, common functions added.
Attached Files
You must login to download files.

EIlMTaR.png
Posted Aug 10, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+82
I've got some tutorials up on the official forums for Addons in WildStar.
Always happy to write more of them if people provide me the topics.
Posted Aug 17, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Thanks Toggle, Olivar! Hopefully I will have a chance to spend some time on this soon!

Link to Olivar's [url=http:// https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124985-lua-tutorials/]tutorial posting[/url]
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Aug 17, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
NoticeNotices