WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

A Primer on Roll Fighting.

25 replies
Stars:
+85
I'm surprised and pleased at how much discussion this topic has spawned. I originally posted it just to help out a newcomer to the concept, but hey, discussion is always good.

As for Freeform, that falls under the trust system and OOC settlements first. WS has a very good community, but in most places, both people want to win, rather than RP.

The Crit/Counter system I had was for my time in the Jadepaw Dynasty on WoW, and it added a bit of extra potential flair, because just about all Pandaren are skilled to a degree in martial arts. I've noticed WS uses the simplified roll, and 3hp, which is a nice system as well, and keeps things relatively quick.
Alt list:
Kharyn Aranis - Draken Warrior
Axis Calvia - Mechari Stalker (Inactive)
Alya Slate - Granok Warrior
Posted Aug 5, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+150
I am another one of those people advocating for freeform roleplay in most any situation outside something that is beyond player control, something like blind swings/shots or attempting something truly based on luck. I do however understand the want for a fair system removed from the potential for players looking to make sure everyone is on equal terms. It's always great to have options, as not all of us play the same. So even if you don't intend to use a dice system unless it is for a compromise, its still good to give some input.

Roll systems always come with a sacrifice. In order to draw in new players, it generally needs to be simple. This makes it easy for anyone to pick up and use it, but as the expense of the character end of the roleplay. Your character's abilities, or lack of abilities are not supported in this, which is a turn off for some players.

You can make systems to account for this however, as other players have mentioned. This however makes the system more intimidating and harder to learn. As the overall purpose behind dice tend to be making a fair system to remove bias, this now means the system needs to be balanced. You now run the risk of players simply min maxing rather then playing to their characters, which was one of the reasons folks didn't want to freeform. This can not only lead to people cherrypicking things to have the best combos for a fight, but can make fighting very stale to watch as it is just attack, defend, attack, defend. It's good to sometimes pass on a turn to add some flavor.

Fighting, and roleplay in general all comes down to mutual respect. Regardless of the system, players need to be willing to go into conflict with and open mind, a positive outlook, and the willingness to work together. Who wins or loses doesn't much matter, just come to a conclusion that helps forward whatever story you are crafting. I stand by the fact that losing fights is often times way more fun then winning, and leads to some great character development. Players will be far more accepting of losing if players make the experience enjoyable.

Some other random thoughts.

Critical failstates are not fun. Tripping on nothing, dropping your weapon, etc for no reason, personally, ruins immersion. You can and should still have something of this nature, but allow players the freedom to work it into the context of the fight. Maybe the gunslinger only missed his shot due to a glare of light coming off a nearby bar patron's mug. Maybe the swordmaiden didn't drop her sword, perhaps her strike was deflected and lodged the blade into a nearby piece of furniture.

Alot of times when I fight a stranger in roleplay, along with opening a ooc line of communication with them, a thing I found really handy is to summarize attacks/defense for them after a post. Perhaps you had a wonderful emote, dragging your sword along the ground, sparks flying, twirling, jumping, slashing, the works. Well, drop the other player a quick whisper telling them where the attack is targeted, and what it could possibly do if not avoided/blocked/deflected or what it has done on someone wearing X sorta armor. If what you did left an opening that is noticible, feel free to tell them so they can react accordingly. It's your responsibility to paint a good picture of a scene for the other person to react to.

Okay, I am done rambling for now, sorry for being all over the place.
The Arbon Vale: Traditional Aurin Settlement
Posted Aug 5, 15
Star
List
Undo
Most of my days in WoW I used the emote only fighting because I could trust the group I was with and we all had decent amount of logic and understood each other, so if you're with a group where everyone trusts each other, that'd be the best way. Besides the common one that is said here, if you ever do group PvE RP events (as in raid fights in RP (thinking mobs are there but they are not) ) we used a simplified version of this : http://lonecrows.enjin.com/forum/m/20033511/viewthread/11004000-system-tryout

As in my own opinion, no rolls is the best kind of pure roleplay, but it cannot be achieved simply because we're human and no matter how many times you say 'No OOC into IC', there will always be some quantity of it. And we all love our characters, no?

Also I'm not sure how it's in here but a good courtesy to pick up is actually whispering the person before you engage, and even saying if you plan on permanently hurting/killing their character. Otherwise it probably turns into the most infamous thing in every community we regard as 'drama'.
Posted Aug 8, 15
Stars:
+321
Honestly, with my experiences, it's fifty-fifty on freeform or not, but only because characters are overeager to showcase their awesomeness. Frankly, doing exceptionally well is amplified by the troubles you had getting to that point, and a random system means you are encouraged to ICly focus on hedging your bets, unless you really do accept risks.
Posted Aug 8, 15
Stars:
+281
I prefer freeform RP, but I do that with trusted players and make sure to communicate. I don't mind my characters losing so long as they aren't shown to be incompetent in their field, within reason and depending on the situation, of course.
Posted Aug 9, 15
Stars:
+85

Critical failstates are not fun. Tripping on nothing, dropping your weapon, etc for no reason, personally, ruins immersion. You can and should still have something of this nature, but allow players the freedom to work it into the context of the fight. Maybe the gunslinger only missed his shot due to a glare of light coming off a nearby bar patron's mug. Maybe the swordmaiden didn't drop her sword, perhaps her strike was deflected and lodged the blade into a nearby piece of furniture.

Speaking of critical fails, last night at the Valiantheart, Kharyn was fighting an Esper Priest who was not very adept at combat. Despite this, he got quite lucky with rolls and won. At the finale, he rolled a 100 over her 30. So, the way I wrote it out that Kharyn got cocky. And paid for it at the end with a sword through her chest.

Sometimes the dice can deal you a bad hand. What matters is how you work with the hand you're dealt. In the end, it is a show put on for the benefit of the audience.
Alt list:
Kharyn Aranis - Draken Warrior
Axis Calvia - Mechari Stalker (Inactive)
Alya Slate - Granok Warrior
Posted Aug 10, 15 · OP
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices