WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 3

A Primer on Roll Fighting.

25 replies
Stars:
+85
The following is copy pasted from my old sparring circle event on WoW, but it's still a good primer on roll fighting. Some fighters prefer /roll 20 over /roll 100 systems, some prefer 3hp instead of 5hp, and some don't even use Crits and Counters. For simplicity's sake, I will only keep it at /roll 100.

It is best to discuss and agree upon the rules beforehand. People have different preferences.

Quote:
The first roll is the initiative roll, to determine who attacks first. Posted below are examples of a fight, with each result explained in further detail.

Bob and Joe bow to each other.

Bob rolls 23.
Joe rolls 67.

Joe wins the initiative roll, and may attack first. Joe's Emote is as follows.

Joe rushes forward, swinging wildly with his fists to hit Bob in the face.

Joe roll 56
Bob rolls 26.

This is a Hit and not a crit, due to the difference in numbers being less than 50, but the attack roll is higher than the defense roll. The score is 4-5 Joe.

Bob recoils from the blows, striking back at Joe's chest.

Bob rolls 55
Joe rolls 79.

This is a Block, due to Bob rolling low on his attack roll. The difference is less than 50 between the numbers, so this is not a counter. The result is no change in hp, so the score remains 4-5 Joe.

Joe dodges to the side, swinging his foot up high in a roundhouse kick.

Joe rolls 10
Bob rolls 80

This is a Counter, due to Joe's attack roll being at least 50 points less than Bob's defensive roll. A Counter causes the attacker to lose 1 hp. The score reads 4-4 Even.

Note that a Counter does not disable the opponent or prevent an attack. It is merely a stronger than normal block.

Bob ducks under the roundhouse kick, striking at the back of Joe's leg. He follows through the counterattack with a lunging jab for Joe's chin.

Bob rolls 100
Joe rolls 49

This is a Critical Hit, or a Crit. The attack roll was 50 or more higher than the defense roll. A critical hit does 2 damage in hp. The score would now read 2-4 Bob.

A Critical Hit does NOT disable the opponent or rob them of a turn. The only difference is that it does more hp damage.

In such an event, you will often have an audience. A large part of RP fighting is putting on an entertaining show, but not taking so long as to where the audience loses interest. An ideal fight lasts no longer than fifteen minutes, and the writing style is flowing between both involved. Remember to try to keep it clear and flowing, but don't be afraid to show off a little bit.

All in all, I hope this was a good read for everyone. If you have questions, please post and I will answer them best I can.
Alt list:
Kharyn Aranis - Draken Warrior
Axis Calvia - Mechari Stalker (Inactive)
Alya Slate - Granok Warrior
Posted Aug 4, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+23
This is definitely not how I thought a /roll fight would be played out, this is very intimidating XD but it does make it very clear. Sorry I've just never had the opportunity to play games where the calculating of combat rolls was the player responsibility. I look forward to learning. The way I imagined roll fighting was to player deciding their hp and the rolls being the damage each took, first player to hit zero loses. I know its a very simple even infantile but its how I best came to figure out how it would go.
Posted Aug 4, 15
Stars:
+85
It seems big and bad, but it's really not. Once you use it a few times, it becomes second nature.

The thing I try to empathize though is flowing emotes. You're oftentimes putting on a show, and a good show keeps the audience engaged, excited. Take too long, they get bored. Don't fluff it enough, they get dissatisfied. That's more advanced stuff that only comes with time and practice, but watch others too, learn from that.

Critical Hits and Counters are also an optional feature, and the Sparring Circle I hosted (That this is copy-pasted from) used them. Many fighters opt not to use them.
Alt list:
Posted Aug 4, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 4, 15
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Thanks for posting that, Ferindar! Do you show the rolls publicly, or are they private?

Just as an interesting point of comparison, there was another system that I experienced when participating in one of the Dead End Project's Platinum Pugilist fights! The system is an expanded rock-paper-scissors, which is described in the link, and there's no RNG.

In practice I found it a lot of fun too because of the unexpected (to me) delight in trying to guess and anticipate the other fighter's selection. All of this happened in private party chat, though, so we would determine who "won" the round and then emote accordingly for the audience. I thought that it might have been interesting to actually show the calls to the audience because it was actually pretty interesting from a mechanics point of view, though it might have broken immersion. Grayson instead, as the private referee and the public MC, would do color commentary on what was happening for the audience and call the rounds.

I found it did create a sense of a flow that only the fighters would experience, while the observers had to wait for the round to play out and was not sure what was going on until someone actually won. On the other hand, the wait gave observers time to chat while the fight was going on.

I might have to have some small hay fights to try both systems out!
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Aug 4, 15
Stars:
+85
Generally, no. I prefer the system where only those involved (And perhaps a referee if required to scorekeep) are involved, so people don't know the outcome before it happens.

And again, I preach fluidity in roll fights, and in all RP fights in general. Remember that you're putting on a show for a live audience. Engage them, make them want to hang to every move. Entertain the audience.
Alt list:
Posted Aug 4, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+238
One thing that helps with fights is putting a good description. I definitely agree with putting on a show!

So I won the roll, great!

But how do I hit? Punch? Is it a jab? A right hook? From which direction? What sound does it make? What is my character feeling? How does he show that feeling?

Putting in enough detail is so important for me in fights. It lets me react quickly without any doubt or fear that I might be putting in something that wasn't intended. It's more comfortable and fun!
Posted Aug 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Fight fight fight! :d
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Aug 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+281
My issue with roll fights is that they rarely take into consideration the skills of an individual character. For example, in a fist fight a character trained in martial arts should have an advantage over a character who had never raised their fists against another person in their life. Luck will always be a part of /roll dueling, but it can really suck when a character that should be skilled in their field just ends up looking incompetent because of lousy hit/dodge rolls.
Posted Aug 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
My personally "favorite" roll systems tend to be D100 that have modifiers built into them based on class, ability, etc.

There was a general system that Big Easy / Lumos Drifters uses where each character chooses two strengths and a weakness that could be modified easily. An example for a character like Kintallo

Major Strength: Good At Clawing You Up - +15 To attack Rolls
Minor Strength: Strong - +10 to strength checks to lift things, break things, etc
Weakness - Hot headed: Must make and beat a 50 on a d100 to see if he goes cray on someone.
Posted Aug 4, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+238
Hi Kin! I agree that's not very fun.

What you decide when it comes to valid IC outcomes should always be taken into consideration in a fight.

But to keep an open mind on all kind of fighting situations I quote good ol' bruce lee.

'I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once. I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.'

Zeroing in on what your character is a true master at makes it much easier to ask for a roll bonus, and makes those bonuses much easier for an opponent to accept.
Posted Aug 4, 15
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices