of 2

[Guide] Killroy for Dummies

15 replies
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
Killroy for Dummies

- or -

How to improve your RP pleasure while looking cool doing it!

Optional Step 1: Install Curse Client

Curse Client provides a convenient way to install addons with just one click. It's not necessary to do it that way, but very much recommended as it saves you the trouble of locating the addons folder yourselves, extracting stuff into there, and also tells you about updates for your addons, which again are installed with just one click.

Step 2: Get Killroy

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220130-scchatlog

Installation note: Killroy was last updated for API version 9, but works perfectly for API version 10 as well. You will need to tell Wildstar to ignore the version mismatch to make it work though: Find Killroy ingame in your Addon List, double-click it, and make sure the checkbox is checked, then reload your UI.

Killroy is THE must-have addon for Wildstar Roleplayers. Not only does it allow you to read messages from players of the rivaling faction, instead of masking them in an alien font like Wildstar does by default, it also gives you many options to manage your chat channels, assign different colors to them, and format their output for RP. I will go into detail on that later.

Killroy also allows you to reduce the distance you can hear /say and /emote messages from, improving your RP experience greatly in crowded places. While yes, of course, it can be nice to listen in on conversations happening on the other end of the capital city, it can be quite overwhelming when you are currently in a RP situation yourself. You will be able to specify a range for /say, /emote and a /falloff distance. While the first two a fairly obvious, in that they just hide whatever happens beyond that range, the last one offers the possibility of not just hiding, but instead obfuscating what has been said, which results in certain words being replaced with "...", and emotes being changed completely, because you just can't make out what is happening there, but you still will notice THAT something is going on there. This feature can sometimes be very confusing as you don't have a clear indication on which messages were actually written by the player, and which are changed by Killroy, so use that feature carefully. Of course, you can also just turn off the range filter completely if you still want to stalk someone...

For me, the most useful part of Killroy is the way it changes the coloring of RP messages in your chat. Especially in crowded places, it can get kinda straining to follow conversations and emotes, and Killroy improves on that by colorcoding inline-emotes in /say and inline-say in /emote. For example:

/s Hello everyone! *flashes a bright smile* How is everyone?
/e waves to everyone, muttering: "Good to be here again...", then turns towars the bar...
/s ((*towards, even))

Without Killroy, it will result in this:

13:37 [say] Soey Flamepay: Hello everyone! *flashes a bright smile* How is everyone?
13:38 Soey Flamepaw waves to everyone, muttering: "Good to be here again...", then turns towars the bar...
13:39 [say] Soey Flamepay: ((*towards, even))

With Killroy, this is what you see:

13:37 [say] Soey Flamepaw: Hello everyone! *flashes a bright smile* How is everyone?
13:38 Soey Flamepaw waves to everyone, muttering: "Good to be here again...", then turns towars the bar...
13:39 [say] Soey Flamepaw: ((*towards, even))

This, in my oppinion, improves readability quite a lot, because you can clearly separate said content and emoted content at a glance.

Another notable feature of Killroy is, that it allows to type messages that are longer than 500 characters, and will automatically split them into separate messages, instead of just cutting them off like Wildstar does by default. Also, you are able to use (%t) in your messages, which will be replaced by the name of your currently selected target. I have yet to find a good use for that, but it still might be worth mentioning.

One very intersting feature of Killroy though are inline animated emotes. You can specify any animated emote, put them inside of { } brackets and hide that somewhere in your message, and Killroy will filter them out of it and play their animation (but not their default text) right away. So for example:

/s {talk} Oh, this is soo funny!
/e chuckles amused {laugh}

Will result in this:

13:40 [say] Soey Flamepaw: Oh this is so funny
( /talk animation is playing )
13:41 Soey Flamepaw chuckles amused
( /laugh animation is playing )

Step 3: Use what you have learned just now!

Just do it and be as cool as the rest of us!

Additional Notes:

Many Roleplayers are also using the addon ChatLinks, which allows you to copy/paste links from your chatlog, but also highlights your name if you are mentioned somewhere, even playing a sound if you want it to, so you won't miss a line that concerns you.

While this addon is great, and I personally use it too, be aware that sadly, it breaks Killroy's color-formatting as detailed above in channels that are being monitored for mentions of your name (by default, /say for example). The developer of Chatlog has been made aware of the issue, but as both the developer of ChatLinks and Killroy are not active at the moment, we probably will have to wait a while for a fix.
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Tumblr: OOC | Soey Flamepaw
Posted Jun 12, 15 · OP · Last edited Jun 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+321
Ooh!
Posted Jun 12, 15
Stars:
+94
All this time and I never knew about the {emote animation} feature! Thanks for writing this up!
Posted Jun 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+4
Thanks for telling me about the {emote} feature. Going to make rping even cooler :d
Posted Jun 28, 15
Stars:
+3
I tried downloading this with the curse client, but it didn't download or anything. Any ideas of what went wrong or why it won't work for me?
"You quit now, you'll quit every day for the rest of your life"
Posted Oct 3, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
not... really... very strange. try again?
Soey Flamepaw | Aurin, Stalker, Cuddle Consort, Pillow Enthusiast, Hugvertising Expert | Jabbit (EU)
Drakaar Flamebearer | Draken, Warrior, Son of Razak the Oxian, Lord of Stormskull Clan | Jabbit (EU)
Posted Oct 3, 15 · OP
It glitched out my chat box when I first loaded the addon, so make sure to restart entirely. This guide is very helpful!
Posted Oct 3, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
Thats another problem with the current beta builds (which Curse seems to download by default instead of by choice.. silly curse). Scriptorium is working on it tho. Or might already have fixed it, not sure.
Posted Oct 3, 15 · OP
Stars:
+3
I've tried it 5+ times and it didn't work when I was on earlier. Il try again later when I'm on.
"You quit now, you'll quit every day for the rest of your life"
Posted Oct 3, 15
Soey Benefactor
Stars:
+117
Try describing in as much detail as possible how you are trying to install the addon. Maybe we can find out whats wrong this way :)
Posted Oct 3, 15 · OP
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices