WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 9

Cozmotronic Addo - Design Document

88 replies
Stars:
+55
I am in favor of a slightly bigger but still limited description field. The biggest thing for me is just making that add-on at all.

I am entirely dependent on PDA as I tend to play very different sorts of characters and because posting a spam description post every time someone new enters, so they know how to react to your character properly, just plain stinks and feels like you are bothering the people around you. (Mylla, I am looking at you!)

Now, on the programming side of things, there is this mean thing called 'scope creep'. Basically it means that every single feature you add in, increases the programming hours, the number of bugs, and delays the release.
I would much rather have an add-on that only has title and description right now, then to have one that will have all the things at some future point in time...maybe.
Posted Apr 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+321
Rather than a Bio, have a section (possibly of comparable size) listing publically available information about the person, such as any listed residence, if their 'chron number is listed, if there is a warrant, where their place of work is (should that be public knowledge). Also possibly note that there would be files on him from various groups, but they'd have to ask for details.
Posted Apr 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+321
Some people have inevitably adapted to use features of PDA, perhaps not as intended, but having them in its successor would be of benefit, even if renamed for practicality. 'additional info' instead of 'Bio'?
Posted Apr 11, 15
Stars:
+497
Caretaker
Just to add a data point to the discussion:

My primary use of PDA was actually to see who was an RPer. While this didn't catch every RPer, it was nice to see that alt title floating over people's heads, especially when all other nameplates were turned off, and easy to find concentrations of RP in the open world just by running around.

While I liked the description areas, I found accessing this information for other character unreliable enough so I just stopped trying to use it. Either a patch would break the plugin, or the character being inspected didn't fill anything out, or one couldn't tell whether the plugin had received data at all.

The most interesting piece of information to me, other than knowing someone was an RPer, was the title field that showed up in the world, particularly when it provided a clue about the character's in-character appearance that was not visible. If someone is limping, covered in bandages, wearing a bad wig, etc...these were nice to see on the character title.

I also liked it when there was a URL to more information, though it kind of sucks not being able to actually click on that information. I imagine that is due to Carbine not wanting that kind of feature available. If copy/paste was possible, that would be great, but I don't know if this is a technical limitation.

THOUGHTS ON EXISTING FEATURES

What I'd like to see in a successor is having largely the same fields, with smarter formatting and greater feedback on the state of data. I'd also like to see if there's an alternative way of showing RPers rather than the use of a title over their heads, or to add this information to the existing nameplates, because the overlapping nameplates never looked good and contributed to screen clutter.

SMARTER FORMATTING - Just to make it easier to read quickly, I like a compact well-formatted chunk of text. The back-end profile UI doesn't have to match the display UI. If the back-end UI has all the fields for everything, and some are left blank, then the display UI (that is, the UI that presents the data) can generate a nicely-formatted text display without the blank spaces. That is assuming that the Carbine text field widgets can support this. Displaying text is kind of a lost art these days.

FEEDBACK ON DATA STATUS - If the plugin doesn't have complete information on a character, some indicator that it's pending would be nice. It could be a small dot, or text prepended to the character text block. Something that refreshes every 30 seconds, perhaps...I don't think it needs to be super fast. It just would be great to know that it's not broken, and that text is coming! Delicious, delicious text!

DISPLAYING OTHER RPERS NEARBY - I liked that PDA could show those alternative titles, though I didn't like how they overlapped the official nameplates. I could never find a happy balance! Some alternatives that come to mind:

* Maybe instead of the complete name / occupation + icon, just the icon is fine. Rolling over the icon or clicking it could reveal further information.
* Perhaps functionality like the recent "Nearby Players" list could be used to show "Nearby RPers". The advantage of this is that you can more easily click on their RP icon without mouselooking all over the place, especially with overlapping nameplates.
* I'm sure that trying to modify the existing nameplate objects has already been tried. That would be nice if it was possible.

As far as character text length, I have been find with what's available. I favor shorter descriptions in-game. Having a longer biography available is nice, but I haven't come across many of them or didn't wait long enough for them to load, if they were loading at all. I do go visit character URLs though, if they're short enough to remember and type.

EXTRA FEATURE CREEPER FEATURES

There was one function I used for the biography section: keeping in-game notes on what is going on between characters, so I could remember where I left off with them. I used it as a private in-game notebook, and that is where the character limits hurt. I'd like to see something like this. This data can stay out of the comm chatter.

I also wonder if some kind of event broadcast feature could be put in. A list of events and locations that are going on right now would be nice to have, though perhaps it is too OOC and not part of this plugin's mission. Just a thought. Perhaps if it worked like an "event group finder", or polled nearby character to see if they are in an event that is open to public...but yeah, SCOPE CREEP.
SRI NUTMOON @ ENTITY | HAY ENTREPRENEUR and ERSTWHILE JOURNALIST
ALTS: SRILANA NUTMOON (ic-leveling alt) and JIAN NUTMOON (no relation)
Posted Apr 11, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+238
<.< I feel like I'm the only one who liked to read detailed bios and descriptions.

Sometimes it's the only way to keep myself entertained during bar RP. I hope this somehow gets to stay.
Posted Apr 12, 15 · Last edited Apr 12, 15
Stars:
+386
Just to add a data point to the discussion:

I also liked it when there was a URL to more information, though it kind of sucks not being able to actually click on that information. I imagine that is due to Carbine not wanting that kind of feature available. If copy/paste was possible, that would be great, but I don't know if this is a technical limitation.

There's a button to copy to the clipboard. You have to use special programming to allow it. I had one in the popup window. Just an FYI.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Apr 12, 15 · Last edited Apr 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+82
Okay,

been reading through the posts so far.
Will add the URL field, and then try to make it work first as an initial version.
Wil start with this tommorow as much as I can.
I don't want to do overdo it from the start.

So I will play around a bit more with the UI, and come up with something that I like.
Then program in the basic features for storing information etc.
Then work on the communication part.
Posted Apr 12, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+386
Try to tie storage and communications together, so that the possibility of compatible addons is there. This is the point behind RPCore and MSP and such.
EIlMTaR.png
Posted Apr 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+171
Caretaker
Love to see this being a community project, love all the ideas so far and I will say though that I kind of wish race would be either editable, or from a drop down... why?

Because sometimes people want to play a Lopp (I have a Lopp as a chua, but I understand it causes some issues for some RPers) and not to say someone wouldn't want to make an Aurin to be an Ekose, or I've even heard of someone playing a freebot.

Now all of that can easily be listed in the description fields and to just disregard race at that point, and it avoids someone becoming the half blooded child of Mycallius, Dominus, and The Entity as there race too.

Excited though to see this being worked on! Thank you! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Chef Noriack, owner of Noriack's Cafe Dominion Side. Available for catering of events!
~Noriack's Cafe, 10pm est Saturdays. Where the Science of Eating is Practiced on your Tastebuds!
Posted Apr 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,091
Admins
Caretaker
Having a title that we can make up is super important for not selfish reasons and I like certain words floating over my head.
Posted Apr 12, 15
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 9
NoticeNotices