WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 49

Zai's Super Happy Awesome Court Mandated Interactive Blog ((Pretty Open))

486 replies
Stars:
+321
(( Always a pleasure reading your writing. ))
Posted Sep 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+168
(( Very well thought out. Wish I was that motivated. ))
Posted Sep 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+141
((This is going to lead to Andric trying just the weirdest experiments on Zai...))
Entity [E] Andric Pena, Jack Dynaer, Viere Skysoul.
Posted Sep 3, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+441
((thanks for the kind words! Some of this dump is going to be boring, but I'll do actual, more interesting, cultural notes next in the final dump))
That Same File in the to be shredded Bin wrote:
Language-

Language-

Although all members of both the clan and the tribe spoke standard arborian, the language used amongst themselves was a regional dialect so divergent as to comprise a seperate language. Sadly for most humanoids, much of the language involves sounds not able to be produced by other species (including many other aurin sub species). As such, approximations of sounds are used here.

Written language- the Starember did have an independent written language composed of phonetic symbols with a series of lines and dots used around each to indicate the appropriate tone and modulation of the sound. It was not uncommon for the same sound to have different meanings if growled, chirped, a term one of out anthropologists called “what the fucked”, semi-sung or some other vocal oddity than stated in a more standard humanoid manner. Writing was read in top to bottom columns, organized left to right, and tone marks were always placed to the left of the symbol indicating the general sound of the word.

Grammar- grammar utilized a subject verb object word order. Short sentence structures were favored, however, compound and even compound complex sentences were permitted, if one didn't mind risking the wrath of aurin literary purists. Prepositional and parenthetical phrasing likewise was acceptable in the written language,

Verb conjugation- there was no verb conjugation as known by speakers of galactic basic. Verb form remains the same for both one and more than one party. Likewise, the form of the verb did not change to match the tense. Instead. tense was indicated by relative pitch. The further in the future the event would occur, the higher the general pitch of the verb relative to the rest of the sentence. Similarly, a lowering of pitch on the verb indicated the degree in time in which the event was in the past. Specific words to indicate time passage were used where necessary for precision.

Pronouns- fairly unremarkable next to other languages, however, there were no gendered pronouns in the language. The pronouns used were roughly I/me, Sentient- singular, non sentient-singular, they, we. We was never used with anyone outside the tribe. Instead the phrasing was “they and I”.

Unusual notes-- Any noun in the local language could acceptably be used as a verb by use of a modifying sound that indicated the word was a verb. As such, the sentence “I am hot panning the eggs” would be just as acceptable, and more commonly used than “I am cooking the eggs in a hot pan”.

Number system-

The Starember used two systems of Numeric representation- one base 10, and one base 5. The base ten system was commonly used in pragmatic applications, while the base five system of notation was usually used in formal speech and writing.
Exile:
Sarian Svarkova- Recovering Mad Alchemist
Aaron Oldman- Unfrozen traitor lawyer
Zai Starember- Treehugger
Dominion
Benvolia Arcae- Is very happy being Ben
Posted Sep 5, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 5, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+441
((Culture Info drop part one))
That Same XAS file in the to be shredded bin wrote:
Social/government structure-

Matria- The Starember have what is considered a relatively weak matria system. Each village of a large enough size does have a governing matria. However, the matria does not choose her consorts. Consorts are selected by both the aurin and fjord pine members of the community, and served for life, unless they stood down, or were removed by the community. A matria could not remove a consort, though she could force a vote on their removal. A unanimous vote of the consorts could override a decision of the matria, though such undertakings were rare. The tribe and clan had a similar system to the villages, with consorts selected from major geographic regions to advise the over arching leaders. It is suspected this system arose in part just due to how easy it was for aurin to communicate with fjord pines. When talking with trees was a day to day affair for nearly the entire populace, being the woman most able to talk to trees was more analogous to being the woman who could tie her shoes the fastest, or fit the most cookies in her mouth than the chosen one. Still, no one had ever thought up a better system, and nothing seemed broken, so government by the woman who bonded to the Wise one continued.

Consorts- the group of consorts in conjunction with the matria did most of the heavy lifting of governing the local aurin. Romantic relationships with the matria were neither encouraged or discouraged. As long as the sewage was routed and treated, and the very large angry sea monsters didnt eat too many babies, no one really gave three damns about who shagged who by the wise one (other than, perhaps, the wise one). Oddly, both aurin and sapient trees were eligible to serve as consorts, and it was not uncommon for a sapient tree to be in such a position.

Wise One- Generally the oldest fjord pine in a region, though sometimes younger trees took up the position due to an older tree having no interest in local government. Fjord pines generally find the title Wise One silly, and prefer to be referred to by name, nickname or "Hey, you old pile of Sawdust" in the case of one long serving regional leader.

Watchers- the Starember aurin lived in a dangerous environment full of feirce sea based predators, harsh climate conditions, and feral bands of cannibalistic aurin from the inland icey wastes. Starember watchers may have shared their tribes general values of hospitableness and friendliness, but threats were not coddled. The star ember watchers were known for brutality when actively threatened. Many raiders who thought the coastal communities were soft and friendly died slowly, and had what was left of their corpses either composted to feed to plants, or displayed where their cohorts could see the message, loud and clear. After a particularly large raid against a starember settlement, the entire outer ring of trees each had a staked out corpse raider displayed by the roots of each and every tree, as a polite request that no one attempt to come back.

Tenders- Pretty much what it says on the tin. Not very different than other aurin tenders.

Hunters- mostly specializing in fishing and taking out marine mammals. They often worked with the watchers when faced with attacks by particularly threatening wild creatures out of the lightless depths.

Academics- Although some tend to assume aurin lived in grass huts and hugged all day, a lack of interest in technology and travel is not always synonymous with ignorance. the Star Ember aurin had no interest in traveling or controlling their universe. They had every interest in understanding it. They were keen students of astronomy, chemistry, biology and mathematics, with a surprisingly well developed understanding of primal energies.

Traders and craftspeople- every moderately urbanized society has them. Starember aurin had some metal working, but mostly relied on found wood, stone, and leather. The use of primal imbuement and manipulation in crafting goods was common place. Sewage and water treatment systems existed using such, and lighting was done through similar evocation, as fjord pines become exceedingly distressed near flames. The craftsmen of the starember had supposedly developed a sort of advanced calculator, or early computer using carefully grown interwoven non sapient plants and purposefully introduced pulses of life and logic. If such a device existed, it was certainly harvested in the ravaging. Despite these rumors, almost all trade with outsiders was in simple, raw, unfinished goods like obsidian and hides. Outsiders were never permitted inside places of crafting or imbuement.

Relations with other groups

The Starember had few neighbors outside the other clans of their tribe, and cannibalistic feral inland aurin they preferred to avoid. Once or twice mildly more civilized inland groups had also raided, and were promptly met with the Starembers general level of tolerance for threats. Their few interactions with other groups outside of these were usually polite, but limited. They communed with the queen through the mother tree, but were too geographically isolated to give much thought to the southern biomes. They had limited trade, almost always in only raw materials, three times a year with other groups from slightly more hospitable boreal regions to the south. Visitors were rare, and treated well if in need, but generally encouraged not to stay. This is believed to be due to the miserably low survival rate of long term starember guests. Most southern aurin who attempted to linger were either eaten by sea monsters or froze to death in fairly short order. Starember preferred to avoid this happening, both out of basic politeness, and the fact that dead guests really depressed the fjord pines.
Exile:
Dominion
Posted Sep 7, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 7, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+441
That same XAS file wrote:
Sexual Mores

The Starember really didn't give three damns who you have sex with as long as they were capable of consent and gave it. Coersive sexual practices were generally a good way to be exiled, next to the ocean full of horrible predators who come out at night, at sundown. Other than that, the Starember were fairly relaxed about intimate matters. Fortunately, the STIs of northern arboria were overwhelmingly more annoying than deadly, but knowingly spreading anything was likely to result, at a minimum, in a severe beating. Monogamous bonds happened in some couples, but were comparatively rare relative to species such as humans.

It should be noted that sexual or romantic attraction had little to do with breeding, and more to do with recreation and social bonding in long cold winters. When sex was to reproduce, it was a more clinical affair, beginning with consulting local records keeper to determine who was too closely related with one to have a child with, and then with negotiations with genetically compatible parties on how many chidren were sought, over what time period and who would be actually considered the childs parents for child rearing purposes, as opposed to physical reproduction. Although children usually had primary caregivers to some degree, much of the child rearing in Star ember communities was communal, by adult aurin specializing in such.

Gender Roles

Starember were generaly egalitarian to the point it could be a fault. They inhabited a society of two biological sexes, with only one effective socially constructed gender. males and females generally presented in identical styles of dress and manner. Jobs were open to anyone who could perform them. Due to the odd nature of the fjord pine, even some males were able to communicate with the local trees, blurring the bright line seen in most aurin communities. Even discussing the most obvious sex differences such as "only females can be pregnant", "gee the matria is always a chick" Or "males sure are good at opening pickle jars" was considered Extremely Odd-- Although no one would be upset or offended, it was not the sort of thing the Star Ember aurin saw a reason to discuss or draw attention to. Due to the bulkiness of the sub species, and the slight degree of rounding on the males from the blubber layer, a a fairly high degree of androgeny was easy to achieve in all but the largest breasted or broadest shouldered. There were no toys, clothes, or other items marketed only to males or females, and a sexual preference for one biological sex or the other was rare, and generally considered a harmless oddity. Notably, this arrangement was far from ideal for anyone who did not feel comfortable in their biological sex. Since biological sex was supposed to be merely incidental, there was little by way of a system of support for those unhappy with their own. If someone felt the need to attempt to achieve the phsyical traits of another sex, they would not face hate or derision, but would be met with a level of confusion, due to a long standing cultural construct that physical sex should not matter.
Exile:
Dominion
Posted Sep 7, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 7, 15
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+441
So I think a lot of new people have started reading this recently. Let me sum up who I am and whats gone down so far.

Hey there. My Name is Zai Sue Starmber. I'm a pine tree.- not a legless chair.

Let me explain.

So back when this blog began, I was two seperate people. One of me was, well, a pine tree. A sad, really lonely pine tree, that got hauled off arboria as a sapling in a bucket. That me was afraid, and so frustrated. I could hear most of you people, but none of you could hear me. Do you know what it's like to be sitting there, able to hear, to feel, to want to connect and be utterly cut off? Suffice to say, that half of me was one Sad tree.

And the rest of me-- Well I was too damned mad to feel much of anything else. You see the other half of me was an aurin. A little bit before the main fleet arived, some sketchy wild life traffickers looking for something awesome to sell to an exotic pet shop showed up. Mind you, the pet store thing didnt work out. I bit. I screamed. I bit while screaming, and there was some throwing of things best left unamed in polite company. I was going to be flushed out an airlock, but one of the dudes on the crew thought it was adorable when I tried to maul him through the glass.

It wasn't the greatest or most traditional childhood from there. Suffice to say, amoral space pirates who specialize in snatching baby animals from their mothers arent the best influence on a little kid. And my Dad, though I loved him (love him I guess)-- look, Dad is one messed up nok. Aint no two ways around that one.

So I was an angry confused aurin, and a sad lonely tree. And then we got together. Got to know eachother. And somehow we did something right, something wrong, or something just plain nexus, and we got our brains all mixed up together. All blended up into a single merged conciousness. It's weird, but trust me-- it works a lot better than where we were at before.

So Now I'm me. Two bodies, one brain, and trying to get by on nexus. I enjoy kicking ass and higher math and physics. Current main projects are fighting strain, working on a tree communicator, and raising a good forest. That's right, I got all tree knocked up and have saplings on the way. Feel free to visit sometime. I love company. Can even talk back now.
Exile:
Dominion
Posted Oct 3, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+441
An anonymous guest post wrote:
Hello. I need to find you. Tell me where you are.

So=any of you know who sent me this?
Exile:
Dominion
Posted Oct 23, 15 · OP
Stars:
+55
A private email that is in no way shape or form on the -very- public blog because that would be incredibly stupid.

Message to Zai, because the weave does not do a good job of sending links.
Spoiler: Very -NOT- public private emailShow
Posted Oct 23, 15
Stars:
+441
I woke up at my friend's place—No not like that. I know you all are hoping I return to this thing with something steamy, but-- truth of the matter is, aurin half of me just grew up on crowded ships, with lots of people packed in tight, and sometimes, I have trouble sleeping alone. So I crash where I can hear other people, sometimes. It's the hard part about having both of me merged together-its way easier to be alone now. Sometimes that's ok. Sometimes, not so much.

But I got friends who dont mind that I crash with them sometimes. You see, life is good, even when its weird and full of baggage you cant quite put down yet.

So I was sleeping over there when it started. Was the weirdest sensation through my branches. I mean, I didnt quite know what was happening at first. Then I did, and I woke the rest of me up. I dont think I ever woke myself up that hard and fast before. I think I might have scared the guys, tearin out of their house in the middle of the night, hurling myself in the transmat in nothing but a tee shirt and a pair of happy vind boxers. Think I was yelling at them. I'm not entirely sure.

But I had to be there, you know?

I had to be there because when I got to the rest of me, I could already see the seeds in the wind, suspended on their little sails as they were tugged free of open pine cones. Hundreds of them, on their way, where ever they were going.

I'm not sure how I feel. I think I am supposed to know how I feel right now?

But the world is a weird terrible wonderful beautiful place, and you can be real happy and real scared, and not know where to sort the two for a long while, I think.
Exile:
Dominion
Posted Nov 18, 15 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 49