Once Upon a Contest

46 replies
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
ContestFrame.png

-A Protostar Learning Initiative-

The Brief:

This is a contest, and that means, we have prizes, yup, that's right, prizes! So, what do we have to do to win prizes (which will be detailed below) Why my dear friends, you simply need to write a short children's story for, you guessed it, children in the age range of 6-10 years olds, and have the story fit within the Wildstar Universe. Oh what fun, what mayhem, what joy you say!

Of course, with any contest, there has to be rules, those grouchy, grumpy, somewhat constraining things of which we all dislike, but if you want the shinies, you have to listen to the whinies, and so... here they are:

• Must be written to be able to stand alone as text. We want this to be as accessible as possible, and since not everyone can draw, we're going with that.

• Must fit the age range. For examples see Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach etc), Mary Norton (The Borrowers) and Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket). That kind of thing.

• No sexual content. It's meant for kids, let's be sensible here.

• Similar to, avoid any real world and Wildstar Universe slurs, UNLESS it is acceptable for the character/race. Be aware that the story is supposed to be a possible children's story that exists within the Wildstar universe.

• Sensitivity to death and violence. Since again, this is a children's book, while these things are going to exist in stories, they should be done sensibly and carefully with this in mind. HOWEVER, when it comes to the character style again, so, a book written for children of Draken and Chua, this may need a bit more leniency.

• Entries must be submitted to this thread.

• The closing date for entries is in exactly 1 month from now. That's the 23/08/2013. The final entries should be in by 12am GMT / 7pm EST / 5pm PDT. (I think those are the correct conversions...)

• Anyone can submit an entry.

• Entries should be between 500 and 2000 words at maximum.

Now that all those horrible things are out of the way, I hear you say, but how do I make this my winning day? Well, look no further my fellow friends, below you'll find how the story ends...

How to win:

As judges we'll be looking for several things, for gold and musings and diamond rings! ... Ok we're not looking for -literal- gold, but writing gold, now there's a thing we are after. We want to see you fine folks put some real effort into this project and write stories of joy for all the little girls and boys, whether they be hairy or scary, rotting or rolling, scaley or flaily or metallic and clunky, or even just a little bit funky...

• Spelling, grammar, punctuation and presentation are taken into account when judging. Bare in mind, if you're writing a character that has messed up speech / grammar, these things should permeate their speech and such, rather than your entire writing.

• Points will be given for creativity AND originality, we want to enjoy reading/judging this just as much as you guys enjoy writing!

• Fitting to Character. A story written for Aurin children, may not necessarily fit for Draken children. Think about your audience.

When all the entries are in, myself and the other judges will read, re-read, discuss and decide on who shall be crowned king or queen of the 'Once Upon a Contest'...contest.

Prizes:

Oh me, oh my, is it prizes I spy? There's one of each, ain't that a peach? The winners will get a pick of the pack, a part of the tart, a heart of the... Y'know what, nevermind. The winner (that's the first place) will get to pick two of the games, the others (We'll decide how many when we know how many entries we have) will get to pick one of the games, which will be delivered either directly to your steam account, or email address if you win.

One lucky Grand Prize winner, will also receive a Wildstar T-Shirt, courtesy of Wildstar Core! (Naturally this will need a postage address)

SteamPrizeTable.png
steamprize2.jpg

And... That's it. So let the creative juices flow, and let your community spirit show! Let's see some creativity! Feel free to post questions/discussion in the thread here too, or PM me if you need further clarification.

Judges:

The judges are as follows:

Fenwick (Me)

SteelKnight

Silver

Renaise

Sushi

All decisions on winners will be agreed upon by ALL of the judges. Judges have been chosen for their credibility, qualifications (yes, there are published writers in that group) and willingness to participate in judging -fairly-.

BIG thanks to the Judges who have agreed to help with this, hopefully you won't have volunteered in vain!

And a huge thanks to Porthos for helping to provide a whopping SIX of the prizes for the contest! 'Round of applause is needed me thinks!

Another huge thanks to Wildstar Core for their donation of a Wildstar T-Shirt to the competition!

Entry Template:

Please use the following when putting up your submission! Good luck to all entries!

Story Title (if you have one): Fairly obvious here, Robbie the Rowsdower or some such,

Target Audience: ie Species, Age (within the 6-10 bracket), Gender, so on...

The Story: This ones pretty self explanatory, put your text here!
Posted Jul 23, 13 · OP · Last edited Aug 9, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+993
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Just what I needed as I have two of the "Nebbs and the XXX" kids short stories I have been writing so this is just the excuse I need to get off my ass and finish one of em.
Nebbs (Ears & Pistols) vs Jezebel (Horns & Blades)
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+402
Good luck to all :)
BriyanaSig1_zpsf38b966c.png

Officer / Peacekeeper Mira's Anchorage Click here for more info!
Have questions about Mira's Anchorage? Check out our wiki Here!
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,991
Admins
Caretaker
I might even enter this myself it looks like so much fun. >.>
patriciansignature2_zpse831ff55.png
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Ender a
Stars:
+2,779
Admins
Very fun idea, I'll be looking forward to reading all the entries.

And perhaps make one myself, hmm, children's stories can be fun.
"The Aurin and the Pearls" by one miss Riya Trillspring perhaps?

Or "My Little Hacker" by Xavia? :p
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
Good luck, folks! This looks like a really neat competition, so have fun with it!
Silas' blog
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+143
This might be fun, I'll have to put some time aside for this XD
Skype_zpsfe6ec925.gif Tumblr_zpsabdd0b77.gif Steam_zps68d62b00.gif Twitter_zps7cb13b11.gif
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+7
Definitely gonna get something down for this, it seems very enjoyable ^_^ Can't wait!
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
Awesome to see some positive responses to this! Really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Should be a whole lotta fun!
Posted Jul 23, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1,680
Oooo I love this idea! Hmmm I might have to write something....
Posted Jul 23, 13
Star
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices